CrazyBoards.org

Ok, I started Geodon about two weeks ago at 60mg, taken once at night. At first it made me drowsy a couple hours after taking in and made me sleep about 10 hours. Now I have no drowsiness - I could stay up all night (an tend to now since I've started having major insomnia - whether or not that's due to the Geodon, I don't know.. but I'm leaning towards yes.) So it's not putting me to sleep, but it's still affecting how long I have to sleep, once I do manage to get there.

If I have to get up before I naturally wake up, I feel very drugged and the only way to get out of it has been to get more sleep. I've been on Seroquel and know the lethargy that comes from that the next morning - but that's a functional drowsiness. With the Geodon I can barely stand. I actually had to drive on it Sat (didn't have any other choice) and it terrified me. I could barely see the road and it really took all I had to get where I had to go and back. I know that it was a stupid choice, but I'm trying so hard to put my life back together & not going would have sabotaged months of work... I just had to do it.

And now, the strangest thing is.. I've found that when I have a drink before going to bed, I wake up early due to the affects of alcohol on sleep cycles ..and.. I feel fine. No druggedness whatsoever.

So the Geodon isn't really sedating me, but just screwing up my sleep cycle!??

I know that lowering the dose towards the anxiety part of of the dosing spectrum is supposed to decrease the sedating effect. But is that even what I'm dealing with now?

And if that actually would help the seemingly separate aspect of the sleep cycle, I don't really want to do it. Because this medicine is actually helping.. not alot, but it does help & that's alot more than I can say about my increasing long list of things I've tried that haven't done shit - or even made things worse. So wouldn't lowering the dose not only give the risk of giving me even more anxiety (a bad thing) as well as make it less effective? I'm not even even close to the therapeutic dose. You can raise Seroquel to get rid of the sedating stuff, but I don't think it works that way with Geodon. It's like getting all my hopes up that this AAP might actually work for me only to have them crashing down.

To make matters worse, I just had a major panic attack about all of this. I couldn't breath, and my chest hurt so bad it made me wonder if you can actually have a heart attack from this. Can you? I'm still shaking almost an hour and two xanax & two Klonopin later. It's also the worst one I've ever had, which also makes me worry that the anxiety bit of Geodon may have had a role.

It just feels like every time something starts to go right, it goes all wrong.

I wanted to call my pdoc, but that line - if I got through to anyone - wouldn't lead to her. And I don't want to talk to anyone else there. They don't know me or my case. So I have to wait until tomorrow to call, and for her to call me back, and aaah! why do things have to be so hard!?

Sorry.. I just feel so out of whack right now..

Does anyone know what the hell is going on even in the slightest?

Both Geodon and Cymbalta do norepenephrine reuptake blockade. They could be compounding each others effect in that department somehow maybe? Sorry, my brain is broken at the moment.

That's ok.. at least you're trying. What do you think the excess norepenephrine would be leading to exactly? As far as I know, it's basically for pain.. Plus, I've taken a Cymbalta/Wellbutrin/l-tryosine combo before (adding the last one myself to deal with my neuropathic pain). I only noticed a positive effect from that; no anxiety or drugged feeling. In fact, adding WB to my Cymbalta/Prozac combo before that took away the fuzzy mildly drugged feeling that the Prozac gave me.

My gut is telling me that it's Geodon creating an abnormal sleep cycle thing cured only by interrupting that cycle- but I can't find any medical evidence of that. So, I thought there may be something different about the Geodon that I don't know about. None of my other AAP's have had this result. It just doesn't make much sense.. *sigh*

It does have a reputation around here for inducing mania so be careful there.

The Geodon in an of itself you mean? I've heard that.. You know, maybe that's what's causing the anxiety even at the higher dose. I've never had mania, so perhaps anxiety is just a lower form of it somehow? Does that make sense?

Sometimes people with bipolar disorder have anxiety as an 'up'. I do, and psycheducation.org has more about this.

Call your pdoc is the obvious thing to do, but you could also try interrupting your sleep cycle with an alarm clock the same way alcohol does. If that's what's going on then you should be able to get up at a different time no problem. (Not recommending this as a solution but as problem-solving.)

Your pdoc might also suggest altering the time of day you take it, or splitting the dose. I've had that happen to me.

I've been meaning to reply to this but I'm not sure if I have anything helpful to add...

I've been on Geodon since april '06 and I've had sleep issues with it. At first it gave me insomnia, then now it makes me sleep constantly. And it's just not a tired feeling, it's a I-have-to-sleep-now-or-else-I'll-collapse type of feeling (I've now fallen asleep in both the cinema and a theater). And my sleep cycle is messed up as well. I can't seem to sleep for more than seven hours straight, but I can take an infinite number of naps. And ditto on the alcohol, I can't sleep more than a few hours after drinking.

Anyway...

It's not as simple as just getting back on track with your natural rhytm, at least not for me. But it can't hurt trying. Maybe coffee during the day to keep you awake. Then going to bed at a reasonable time and really forcing yourself out of bed in the morning. Set your alarm on 30 minutes before you have to get up, and preferably have music instead of that horrible beep-sound. That gives you some time to wake up before getting out of bed.

Side effects tend to get better with time (although unfortunately they didn't for me). So give it more than two weeks if possible. If it seems to be helping, it's worth hanging on to IMO.

Splitting the dose is really much better when it comes to Geodon. It has such a short half life and it just may be that the anxiety is related to some kind of semi withdrawal. There are no official facts to back this up, that has just been my experience. Also, you get the maximum benefit if you take it twice a day as it has a chance working all day.

Your anxiety could also be related to the norephinephrine reuptake inhibtion. Uhm... Wouldn't that lead to making norephinephrine more accessible for your brain. Norephinephrine in moderate levels helps regulate depression and focus, but I think higher levels can make you anxious. Not sure about that one though.

Sorry for the long post. My main points are:

Split the dose.

Experiment with when you take it.

Try to get your sleeping pattern back on track.

Oh, and what time of the day are you the most tired? Mornings?

Well, my pdoc hasn't called me back yet, so I'm still waiting on that. Hopefully I'll hear from her soon.

Oh - and the 'quote' function isn't working in my preview, so bear with me if it doesn't show up...

Call your pdoc is the obvious thing to do, but you could also try interrupting your sleep cycle with an alarm clock the same way alcohol does. If that's what's going on then you should be able to get up at a different time no problem. (Not recommending this as a solution but as problem-solving.)

Your pdoc might also suggest altering the time of day you take it, or splitting the dose. I've had that happen to me.

Yeah, I've already started taking it earlier since it no longer makes me drowsy. Still have to sleep the same amount of time though. I can wake up with the alarm clock, but I feel really drugged until I can get more sleep. I was up for 1hr 1/2 before, wide 'awake', but still not able to function normally until I went back to bed and got a few more hours. After getting the rest of my sleep I was fine. It's just not something I can snap out of, even if I do wake up..

I've been meaning to reply to this but I'm not sure if I have anything helpful to add...

I've been on Geodon since april '06 and I've had sleep issues with it. At first it gave me insomnia, then now it makes me sleep constantly. And it's just not a tired feeling, it's a I-have-to-sleep-now-or-else-I'll-collapse type of feeling (I've now fallen asleep in both the cinema and a theater). And my sleep cycle is messed up as well. I can't seem to sleep for more than seven hours straight, but I can take an infinite number of naps. And ditto on the alcohol, I can't sleep more than a few hours after drinking.

Did you feel rested and awake after the alcohol? That's how I was... like it make the drug disappear. I have the insomnia and the I'm-going-to-collapse-or-run-into-a-car-sleepiness..

Anyway...

It's not as simple as just getting back on track with your natural rhytm, at least not for me. But it can't hurt trying. Maybe coffee during the day to keep you awake. Then going to bed at a reasonable time and really forcing yourself out of bed in the morning. Set your alarm on 30 minutes before you have to get up, and preferably have music instead of that horrible beep-sound. That gives you some time to wake up before getting out of bed.

I've actually thought about taking Remeron, because it modified my sleep cycle before.. but I don't know if it would help or not. As for making myself get up with an alarm, the above applies. I'd just feel drugged to the point of being scared to do anything.

Side effects tend to get better with time (although unfortunately they didn't for me). So give it more than two weeks if possible. If it seems to be helping, it's worth hanging on to IMO.

Splitting the dose is really much better when it comes to Geodon. It has such a short half life and it just may be that the anxiety is related to some kind of semi withdrawal. There are no official facts to back this up, that has just been my experience. Also, you get the maximum benefit if you take it twice a day as it has a chance working all day.

I really do want to give myself time to get over this effect. I'm fixing to start a new morning job though, so I won't have the luxury of being knocked out for most of the day. I'm not even sure that it will go away..

Did splitting the dose help with the sleepiness? The withdrawal anxiety does make sense. I don't usually have much withdrawal symptoms from meds.. but this could be an exception.

Your anxiety could also be related to the norephinephrine reuptake inhibtion. Uhm... Wouldn't that lead to making norephinephrine more accessible for your brain. Norephinephrine in moderate levels helps regulate depression and focus, but I think higher levels can make you anxious. Not sure about that one though.

You're right about it raising norephinephrine levels. I'm not sure if that can make you anxious or not.. Right now, I'm leaning towards the manic=anxious reason since I've done ok with higher nor. levels before.. but you never know, right?

Sorry for the long post. My main points are:

Split the dose.

Experiment with when you take it.

Try to get your sleeping pattern back on track.

Oh, and what time of the day are you the most tired? Mornings?

Don't worry about length.. I'm glad for the response.

Hopefully once I get in contact with the pdoc I can get some lower doses to experiment with. Other than that, I'm stuck with my 60mg's.

Definitely a morning thing; and only when I don't wake up naturally. If I force myself to wake up earlier..I'm drugged.

Archived