CrazyBoards.org

Can not getting enough sleep CAUSE and episode?

I normally need nine hours of sleep a night to feel human. I recently left my abusive husband, but I come to his apartment every morning at 6:30am to watch the kids so he can go to work. Then he gets home and I go to work. I don't get to sleep until after midnight. So that's six hours of sleep. I am exhausted, but clear headed at the same time. I am also not eating very much, but I can never eat when I am stressed. I am staying with a friend right now, which I am so grateful for, but this schedule is going to do me in.

So, can lack of sleep actually cause hypomania? I don't feel suicidal but I do feel extra clear headed. I don't feel hypomanic but I'm afraid this lack of sleep will cause it. Can this happen?

for sure ,yes! it has happened to me before. a mixture of partying too much and work has flipped me into outright mania a few times. i know better now and always make sure i get about 9 hours of sleep a night, on a very regular schedule. that's the only way i can keep my mood stable.

the arrangement you've been having with the kids/work/sleep is going to put you into an episode if you can't figure out a way to improve the sleep thing. is it possible to get a sitter for a few hours? that's all you really need to sleep enough.

but yes! not getting enough rest will make you hypo/manic. been there, done that. the best option is to do like what i've learned the hard way to do and get your consistent hours of sleep, at consistent times.

loon

Maybe just have a sitter for a couple hours? Perhaps HE can have a sitter come over from 6:30am to 10am so you can get there with enough time. If HE'S the abusive one, then he should make extra concessions for you. If that's what you've gone through already, then you shouldn't have to take any extra crap from him. Of course the kids need care, so maybe you can work it out so you can just get a FEW extra hours to yourself. I've had problems regulating my sleep as well (2 jobs + school full time doesn't leave much for sleep) but even when we FEEL like we're extra-able to do things, we're actually not.

Yes, not sleeping can cause a shift into hypomania, but it's also important to remember that most people can feel extra energized the first few days they haven't been sleeping much. I think it's a survival mechanism.

Obviously it can also be dangerous if it just keeps going, especially for bipolars. I can't always sleep eight hours a night, so I try to fit in some naps here and there, and that seems to work. For me it seems to be the total amount of sleep that counts, not hours slept in a night.

Yes, not sleeping can cause a shift into hypomania, but it's also important to remember that most people can feel extra energized the first few days they haven't been sleeping much. I think it's a survival mechanism.

Obviously it can also be dangerous if it just keeps going, especially for bipolars. I can't always sleep eight hours a night, so I try to fit in some naps here and there, and that seems to work. For me it seems to be the total amount of sleep that counts, not hours slept in a night.

This sounds like me. Today the alarm didn't go off but I was up and running on time anyway. I'm tired now though. I feel stable; thank goodness for my meds. I think napping is my best bet; my ex is flat broke and can't afford a babysitter, unfortunately.

Nap. I wish I could take a nap now but that would not be safe for my two year old, obviously! I've also been not eating much from stress. My appetite is starting to come back as I accept the upcoming legal separation. And the fact that it hit me in the gut that he really is a pig.

Anyway, I think napping is my best bet for now. That and sleeping in LATE on Sundays, my only day I can. This schedule is going to kill me. I'm rambling now, I want to keep typing but I don't know about what. I pace while talking on the phone most days. I pace when not on the phone.

DAMN, I need that nap BADLY!

Archived