CrazyBoards.org

My apt is a mess, I have roaches because I don't clean. I know it's dirty, but I only really see it when someone comes over. Last week, I had a friend come over to upgrade my computer. I moved the cat dish while he was in the bathroom and freed about 10 roaches that started scurrying everywhere.

I want to be cleaner, but I find myself putting off the jobs even though I make them small and tackleable.

Anyone else going thru this?

actually, for over a year, we've been adding to my thread "Failure to Clean" at http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12442 and know what you're going through! there are 4 pages of replies right now on this thread.

loon

ps- while i don't have any roaches and my place is very liveable, i hate doing laundry and generally throw my mail into a pile on the couch, waiting for it to turn yellow and die. the dust bunnies also have vampire fangs. yesterday i swept and mopped in the living room, and boy did i find some huge dust bunnies! they were plotting a coup and i overthrew their attempt mwahhhhahhh

You're not alone!

The state of my housekeeping (and body cleaning) is a good barometer of my mental health - I also have recurrent major depression which sucks, as you know.

Two suggestions: First, the roaches - go by your local hardware store and get a container of boric acid. Skip the brand name "RoachPruf", etc., as they're nothing but boric acid and a fancy name. Boric acid is a white powder that you sprinkle around where the roaches live, they walk through it, and in a few days they kick off. It's odorless and it's much easier to control placement than those awful sprays. It's about as poisonous as table salt, so try to place it where the cats can't get at it - inside cabinets, inside cracks in the baseboards/mouldings; you get the idea.

Second, which I learned from someone else here, check out FlyLady.net. It's a website with lots of good information about getting out of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) by decluttering in small 15 minute increments and developing daily routines to keep things together. You can sign up for the daily e-mail reminders if you like. I've found it helpful, although when things are bad the e-mails can be a bit overwhelming, so I've gone off and on the mailing list. It might be worth a look, anyway.

Sorry you're feeling bad, eventually it will get better, or at least that's what I always tell myself!

You're not alone!

The state of my housekeeping (and body cleaning) is a good barometer of my mental health - I also have recurrent major depression which sucks, as you know.

Two suggestions: First, the roaches - go by your local hardware store and get a container of boric acid. Skip the brand name "RoachPruf", etc., as they're nothing but boric acid and a fancy name. Boric acid is a white powder that you sprinkle around where the roaches live, they walk through it, and in a few days they kick off. It's odorless and it's much easier to control placement than those awful sprays. It's about as poisonous as table salt, so try to place it where the cats can't get at it - inside cabinets, inside cracks in the baseboards/mouldings; you get the idea.

Second, which I learned from someone else here, check out FlyLady.net. It's a website with lots of good information about getting out of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) by decluttering in small 15 minute increments and developing daily routines to keep things together. You can sign up for the daily e-mail reminders if you like. I've found it helpful, although when things are bad the e-mails can be a bit overwhelming, so I've gone off and on the mailing list. It might be worth a look, anyway.

Sorry you're feeling bad, eventually it will get better, or at least that's what I always tell myself!

Thanks for the advice on boric acid. that's the same advice my therapist gave!!

I'm not sure I like Ladyfly, but I signed up anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

And yeah, I am depressed, but I'm also lazy and never learned good cleaning habits from my packrat father. I'm not blaming him, at 40 it's time to get control of how I want to live my own life! Thanks for all the support!

now with the niece an d nephew here 24/7 through the week the house is a disaster zone especially with my depression hitting its worst.

i just have no more motivation energy o r anything else left in me to handle it.

i just dont know what to do.

judy doom you are just so not alone in all of this.

it fucking sucks ass.

im terrifeid of getting bugs, terrified of having dhs called, terrified of everything.

it's really not all that bad, its just worse than anything ive ever dealt with in my life.

im not used to crayons an d markers out of the box and on the table.

not having the trahs out every night

not having everything perfect

and its driving me infuckingsane

ok, more infuckingsane

i cant fucking deal with this.

and the laundry i s piling up

at least that is out in the laundry room.i dont have to see that everyday.

everything is just another stage of suck.

OK, I am an expert exterminator. Here is how I got rid of them. Try these things when your depression lets up enough for you to have the motivation or ask someone to help you if you can.

You need to lock away the animals in your bedroom, spray RAID all along the baseboards of your apt in every room. it has to dry for about 3 hours at which point it is supposed to be safe for your animals to be let out. They won't lick it anyways.

Then do the same for your bedroom and keep the door shut.

Under your bathroom and kitchen sink lay piles of Diatomaceous Earth. It is toxic to roaches but not animals, but don't let them in those cupboards to be safe.

Pour Boric acid down your drains, then keep plugs in them when you aren't using the sinks.

By some caulking gel and fill any obvious crevices or holes that bugs can get through.

Keep all food in sealed containers or in the fridge, not in the cupboards.

If there is a China town near you, go and ask for Chinese chalk. It is a non-toxic roach killing chalk that you can use along all the areas the roaches come in through. They won't cross the line.

Put bay leafs in your kitchen cupboards. Roaches hate them.

Paste Black Flag roach traps behind your fridge, stove and toilet, high enough the cat won't try to get at them.

(The above got rid of my roaches for good, but you have a more serious infestation than I had)

See if your landlord will pay to have your apt fumigated using the gel method. It is not toxic to animals.

A clean apt alone will not get rid of the roaches. When you do clean, use bleach. Roaches don't like it. They actually like some of the pleasant smelling cleaning products.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Archived