CrazyBoards.org

I know this is silly, but I really love grapefruit juice and am not supposed to have it with several of my meds.  However, I really do miss it.  Do you think it would be ok to take a sip, swirl it around my mouth and spit it out?  At least I'd get to taste it.

I've taken to using grapefruit scented shower gel and keeping a grapefruit candle on my desk -- in hopes that having the smell around will help make up for the lack of eating grapefruit/drinking juice. It often helps.

Glad to see another Bujold fan!

Fiona

I am so glad you brought this up...hubby has had a major back slide in th last two days...I thought it was just the lamictal taking its sweet time (he is still only at 25mg for another 2 days..then he goes up to 50). But then I though...OH SHIT! I bought Fresca 2 days ago..and he drank a ton of it! And, for those who don't drink Fresca, it is mostly grapefruit juice.

Could that be what is making his depression worse?? I tried to look up info on grapefruit juice and lamictal, seroquel, and zyprexa...only found a passing reference to interacting with seroquel. Crap! I did not even think of this before...I have never had to take medication long term. Anyone else have any info on GFJ and these 3 meds???

If you had small amounts of grapejuice extremely consistently, wouldn't that have a consistent effect on your med levels, which you could discuss with your doctor and compensate for?

I'm probably wrong about this.

Somebody should invent enzyme-unaffecting grapefruit juice. Could make a fortune.

Good luck,

K

"Somebody should invent enzyme-unaffecting grapefruit juice"

I am sure there are some evil food chemist who could come up with a good artificial flavoring...maybe I should call my brother-in-law..the inventor of the Peanutbutter Bopper...LOL

If you had small amounts of grapejuice extremely consistently, wouldn't that have a consistent effect on your med levels, which you could discuss with your doctor and compensate for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As an example, I just used seroquel [though I don't know if that is the cause of  wifezilla's husband's recent problems]

"Moderate Drug-Food Interaction:  Seroquel (quetiapine)

MONITOR: Grapefruit juice may increase the plasma concentrations of some orally administered drugs that are substrates of the CYP450 3A4 isoenzyme... The extent and clinical significance are unknown. Moreover, pharmacokinetic alterations associated with interactions involving grapefruit juice are often subject to a high degree of interpatient variability..."

[aidsmeds.com]

I tried to logic my way out of this one while on some meds before... 

There isn't really any way to predict how it will effect a medication.  As it states above, the effect can be variable, but it is likely to also interact with how much grapefruit juice, what the person has eaten, when they have taken their meds vs consuming the juice, etc...

[i love it, too.]

~navy~

I love grapefruit juice too, but now I'm not so sure if I can drink it again since I've changed too many of my meds.  I'll have to talk to my pharmacist again and find out if I can or can't drink it.  It does give me horrible heart burn.  But damn, I do love it.  Heck, I eat ruby reds like oranges.  Peel them, then just eat them. Now I'm craving one.  That sucks!

Just bought some Safeway brand grapefruit soda...artifically flavored...contains no grapefruit juice, and, if you get it on sale, only costs 75

I just checked lamictal on the "check my meds" website, and it seems to be the one med I'm on that isn't affected by grapefruit juice.  If I get rid of the other meds, I'm gonna go out and buy a case of them ruby reds!

Seems to me that one of the PI sheets I read for my grapefruit-affected meds said that if you eat grapefruit (or drink the juice) regularly you can just adjust the medication levels accordingly.  Trouble comes if you don't have it every day; you can end up with erratic amounts of meds in your system and get correspondingly messed up.

ok, I am going to show u all just how dmb I am.  I still do not understnd  . So to make it really simple, if I am taking zyprexa, and drink grapefruit guice, do I need to increase my zyprexa to  acheive same dose or decrease my zyprexa. 

I refuse to give up grapefruit juice.  Ther is just so much  u can take away and that's the line. I 'm not giving up cofee either.

You would never change the med dose due to grapefruit juice -- I'm afraid you'd have to just give up the juice. Or understand and accept that when you drink some you're going to feel wonky because your med has changed. It's too individual and too unpredictable to adjust the med end of this kind of interaction.

In good news, however, Zyprexa seems to be one med that does NOT interact with grapefruit juice! (I used https://www.aidsmeds.com/cmm/drugsnewcontent.asp to check)

Fiona

Archived