CrazyBoards.org

Friend was put in the hospital

I just came home from shopping and called my friend. Her mom said she was put back into the hospital to get her meds stabilized. I had talked to her yesterday and she was really hyped up and sounded like a different person, just kept saying I gotta take my medicine, I gotta take my medicine. Then she said I got a new prescription from the doctor, I'm on lamictal, cloziril etc. it was really confusing. So fast forward to today and her mom says she in the inpatient psych place until the medicine is titrated up I guess. Its so sad, kinda depressing to see someone degrade like that. I really don't understand bipolar and wish I knew what that was like/

Yeah...bipolar and lock down...they do suck.

I have had to have hubby sent there several times. It is like some crazy fucked up stranger invades your loved one's body. But once they are on meds, you can see them slowly come back. Then they are all embarassed. Then they start to feel better. Then (not all the time, but a lot) they decide that since they are feeling better, they don't need those meds anymore and the cycle starts all over again.

If you visit someone in lock down, you can call and ask what it is OK or not OK to bring. Don't ever give a friend or loved one anything expensive...it will most likely be stolen or broken, or even given away during an emotional swing. Playing cards, books and magazines go over well, and if they get left behind, no biggie. As for what kind of books, nothing "trigerry"...something with lots of pictures that a scrambled mind can enjoy. Hubby's attention span when he was hospitalized was about 3 minutes on a good day.

If you bring clothes, nothing with strings or ties.

being bipolar and having had my share of hospitalizations, i can say that it is lonely, frustrating, and scary, but also comforting at the same time. being in the hospital makes you feel a lot of different ways, kind of like a mixed state involves a lot of, well, mixed feelings as well.

ask if it is ok to visit. many people in the hospital don't want to be visited, at least at first. i know sometimes my ex h would come up to visit me, even to bring me stuff or whatever and just spend time with me, and he didn't understand that i didn't want to see him or anyone, i didn't even want to be alive. i just wanted to fade away. of course, once my meds were getting there, then i really wanted guests.

so your friend may or may not want company. if you're bringing food treats, make sure in advance that your friend is allowed to have them. i've been in places where they do and do not allow outside food, and where they do and do not allow caffeinated beverages (some say no coffee and no soda, and even no chocolate!).

yeah, until the meds kick in, keep everything simple. but personally when i'm in a depression, my attention span (even with ADD) is much better than in mania, so i can read actual books. you may want to just observe your friend's attention level to know what kind of reading material would be appropriate if you want to bring any. usually it is very appreciated, because there is a lot of free time and it can be very boring. and nothing with strings or ties. those will just get removed. most of the time you're not even allowed to wear shoes at all, or they at least make you remove the laces.

i hope your friend gets better soon! and you're a good friend for being there.

loon

when my best friend was in the hospital (for the depression side of her bipolar) she liked it when i brought her treats (a little bag of chocolates, a sandwich from an awesome sandwich place, etc.)

it was really hard to see her struggling in there. i just kept telling myself that she was there to be helped, and that she'd be better when she got out...and she was. if all goes well, your friend will get out and she will be more stable. i hope she's better soon.

I have been in the day treatment portion of this program, and its rather shitty.

She was supposed to do New Years with me and we had a trip planned in Januray. Now this.

I called to day and she couldnt talk much, she said she would call me later, sounded like she was having fun?? I have no idea what happened, all her mom said was that she had an episode. I remember thursday she said she bought some panties. Maybe she went out and did alot of shopping?? Or maybe she overdosed??

Try not to think the worst. You will get to talk to her sometime soon and then you will know a little more. It's difficult to watch but she probably does not know fully what is happening and may not be as troubled as you are about where she is at. She's in the hospital and she is safe now.

Edit to add: She couldn't wait for the trip and decided to go on one on her own *wink*

My guess is she's prolly better by now. It is far, far easier to stabilize mania than depression. I mean, it sure sounds to me like mania. The major problem now is the extra-super intense depression that follows mania which is aggravated by the hospitalization and the embarrasment. Reassure her that her hospitalization was necessary but not a flaw of her character and you still care for her.

Archived