CrazyBoards.org

Coming off Effexor

OH MY GOD does this bite!

My pdoc decided to start weaning me off Effexor as of last Friday.  So, half the dose for ten days, then half of that, then half of that.............  I might be off by next year at this rate.

Anyway, before I went to see her I did my research.  I knew we were going to be talking about meds because my pnurse told me during my weekly therapy.  So, I looked up alternatives and even things that might help the withdraw.  Did she listen?  Did she hell!  She said we won't discuss alternatives until the Effexor is out of my system and I've gone two months with NO ANTIDEPRESSENTS.  It's been YEARS since I've gone without an antidepressent.  What is this woman thinking?  She's obviously barking mad!

Lithium is keeping me quite stable, but I'm BP1 with severe (and I mean head in the oven severe) depression.  It's only been about two months that I've been feeling somewhat good again and now she wants to take away my Effexor.  Ahhhhhhhhhh!

There are questions here behind the rant and here it is:

What will help me with the withdrawl symptoms?  She said no to Zyban and Prozac already so those aren't options.

Anyone out there on Mood stabilizers alone?

Cheers,

P

I dont envy you coming off effexor, i was on effexor a couple of years ago and took myself off it ~(against medical advice) it was hell................. please be careful.

and keep us posted as to how you get oin

xxx

OH MY GOD does this bite!

My pdoc decided to start weaning me off Effexor as of last Friday.  So, half the dose for ten days, then half of that, then half of that.............  I might be off by next year at this rate.

Anyway, before I went to see her I did my research.  I knew we were going to be talking about meds because my pnurse told me during my weekly therapy.  So, I looked up alternatives and even things that might help the withdraw.  Did she listen?  Did she hell!  She said we won't discuss alternatives until the Effexor is out of my system and I've gone two months with NO ANTIDEPRESSENTS.  It's been YEARS since I've gone without an antidepressent.  What is this woman thinking?  She's obviously barking mad!

Lithium is keeping me quite stable, but I'm BP1 with severe (and I mean head in the oven severe) depression.  It's only been about two months that I've been feeling somewhat good again and now she wants to take away my Effexor.  Ahhhhhhhhhh!

There are questions here behind the rant and here it is:

What will help me with the withdrawl symptoms?  She said no to Zyban and Prozac already so those aren't options.

Anyone out there on Mood stabilizers alone?

Cheers,

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't believe she said "yes" to Effexor and "no" to Prozac. That's just fucked. Can you get diphenhydramine without a doctor's approval in France?

Lamictal?  Not for the withdrawal symptoms (I have no idea), but for depression.

It seems to be working for me.  I had trouble on lithium alone (though I'm reluctant to -- and am not being encouraged to -- give it up entirely). 

At the moment, I'm still on a third of a dose of Wellbutrin (Zyban), where I would like to stay until any suicidal moments are well behind me.  But I'm going to try to get rid of it, maybe in three to six months, for fear of its being destabilizing.

Archived