CrazyBoards.org

irritability

Hi all,

I have BP1. I'm not manic. But sometimes I get irritable as hell. I almost killed a few holiday shoppers yesterday. :embarassed: Could this be linked to anxiety at all? I do know that when I track my moods on moodtracker.com, sometimes I'll have anxiety and irritability on the same day, and sometimes it's just one of the other. I don't know if there's a pattern. Does anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

CA

Several pdocs/tdocs/regdocs have told me my extreme irritability and agitation is anxiety associated with hypomania. I don't get the fun-wheeee! mania. I get dysphoric mania and it really sucks. Not just for me, but for the people around me, especially mykids. My pdoc told me to take a little bit of extra klonopin when I am feeling this way. Like now. PMS + BP = #$%@#&#$!!!!!1.

thanks mel. i don't get the super-happy manic stuff either, unless i'm on too high a dose of an AD, and even then it's coupled with irritability and anxiety.

i don't think i'm hypomanic... i feel pretty level... maybe i'm just an irritable person by nature? heh.

i'm the same way. i'm a very irritable person. i don't know if its directly linked to anxiety per se (although i have OCD and am a very anxious person too) i think it just comes with stress, low serotonin, and general strain on the nerves. benzos sometimes help for me, but so does not driving on the road, or just putting down things that irritate me (like the local paper or cable tv). i haven't really found any good way of overcoming it - but i think i'm a much more irritable person off an AD. serotonin is the civilizing chemical as they say - but i'm just such a misanthropic person that i'd rather not have to take medicine to make me more docile. so . . . i don't know what it is. i think taking care of ones underlying mental disorder helps a lot, but i think if you're MI you're more prone to misanthropy and irritability. and holiday shoppers suck, so i don't think you're too off base there.

Hi all,

I have BP1. I'm not manic. But sometimes I get irritable as hell. I almost killed a few holiday shoppers yesterday. :embarassed: Could this be linked to anxiety at all? I do know that when I track my moods on moodtracker.com, sometimes I'll have anxiety and irritability on the same day, and sometimes it's just one of the other. I don't know if there's a pattern. Does anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

CA

In your case, with BP 1, there could be a link between anxiety and agitation. However, its just as likely that the agitation is part of your mood swing cycle due to biploar disorder. If thats the case, getting the mood stabilised is the key rather than controlling the anxiety.

I can't comment on the relationship between anxiety and BP, or even anxiety and irritability, but there definitely seems to be a correlation for me, too (anxiety and irritability). Kinda makes sense that if you're feeling anxiety that you might be irritable as a result.

I now mainly take Xanax because I discovered (pretty much by accident) that it's the only thing that really helps with the horrendous PMS I get (which I'm 99.9% sure is PMDD). Irritability is one of the worst symptoms I have during that time.

raising my hand on the me toos. i have an unofficial bp-nos, former dx of "irritable depression", social anxiety, (aka misanthropy as per moi, lol), mdd. I have suffered from depression since i was in 4th grade. finally started on the med go round in the late 80s. the depression was addressed, but NOTHING touched the irritability (irritable like screaming, calling the police, throwing everything in the house, ripping out a person's heart with words, driving so recklessly passersby would yell at me to stop, yadda yadda yadda). and like Sunshine, it's all been worse during that lovely premenstrual time. benzos help. but that's only when i'm in the midst of it, and not too pissed to want to "fix" the mess I am in. but depakote has eradicated it ... about 98%. i'm voting for dysphoric mania. never did have a fun one. I don't know the science behind it, or the brain chemistry, but yeah, BP, irritability, depression, anxiety ... there's a definite connection as far as i am concerned.

Hi...I am not BP my dx is PTSD and anxiety and I am a mellow person 99% of the time but when I am tense as hell..I get ....well its easier for me to snap at someone. Like tonight I asked bf to grab something for the dog....bf didnt recall the dog got doggy fortune cookies as part of his XMAS gifts so when I said the name..I guess he didnt get it......by the time he asked me WHAT? time number 3 I blew and screamed ....thus yes when you have anxiety that thin line youre hanging on....snaps easier

hm. I'm not BP, I've always been told that I'm irritable because I'm depressed. ;) oh well.

I think it would make sense for anxiety to correlate with irritation. my anxiety blows everything out of proportion pretty easily, so a small blip becomes a monstrous ISSUE and I become a raving bitch. stress also does that. and it's the holidays, so who isn't stressed, especially while christmas shopping? but there's also stress year round, so there's probably irritation all year round.

heh, I'm not sure how much I helped you, but I just figured out some stuff about me... :)

blame the anxiety.

Thanks guys. I think there's a corelation, too. It makes sense to me about being irritable when depressed because I tend to swing on the depressed end of the spectrum. Oh well. I just hate going from happy-go-lucky smiley girl to RAGING BITCH MONSTER in 2.2 seconds. Proves that the happy bit is just a facade... to me, anyway. ;)

i don't think it's a facade. i tend to think it's more like the channels switching in the middle of the program. there's someone with a remote somewhere who is one sick bastard i tell you!

haha, that's one way of looking at it! ;)

Whoa look at all this new stuff. :) Uh, yeah. I get irritable when I see that things are about to spin out of control. (Scuse me - what the heck are those buttons?) favorite font! Anyway. If I am in a group and see that there is some big old THING about to occur, and no one sees it but me, then I feel I have to get all ANXIOUS about it since no one else is. :cussing: (God that one's weird)

Anyway. For me it's hypervigilence that makes me anxious and irritable. I am learning though. Apparently I don't have to watch out for the rest of the world.

Who knew? ;)

Breeze

Sorry no spell check yet.

Archived