CrazyBoards.org

I kind of found a solution!

I've posted on here multiple times about how I've passed out at stoplights, at work, and generally anywhere I get a massive severe panic attack. Well I was in the hospital the other day and I passed out while they were drawing blood, which usually happens. But this time the nurse used this little plastic tube that you snap and had me sniff it to wake me up. Worked like a charm. I had her give me a few, and if I start feeling dizzy or panicky like I'm going to pass out I pull one out, usually just having them gets me by, but a few times I've used them and it really helped keep me from passing out. Don't know if it's a good thing, or if I can even get more from my pdoc, but it would sure be nice to have a few more to stash in the car. Anyway, back to anxiety land over money and xmas. I can't wait for the holidays to be over.

But this time the nurse used this little plastic tube that you snap and had me sniff it to wake me up. Worked like a charm. I had her give me a few, and if I start feeling dizzy or panicky like I'm going to pass out I pull one out, usually just having them gets me by, but a few times I've used them and it really helped keep me from passing out. Don't know if it's a good thing, or if I can even get more from my pdoc, but it would sure be nice to have a few more to stash in the car.

What the nurse used was most likely "smelling salts". They normally contain ammonia and rubbing alcohol. The sharp smell irritates the mucous membranes in your nose and causes you to breath quickly to get rid of the smell thus bringing you back to consciousness. They used to be able to be purchased at the drugstore, I don't know if they still are.

Good luck,

D

Archived