CrazyBoards.org

The p-doc wants to take me off Zyprexa because of the aggravation it is causing my eating disorder. He wants me to try either Seroquel or Haldol - he's pushing the Seroquel. Seroquel dopes me up like a drugged out zombie - it also causes akathisia and restlessness at the same time as feeling doped up. When I tried to tell him this he very patronizingly blethered on about placebos and akathisia - like he was calling me a liar.

Haldol causes high prolactin levels and premature menopause and severe osteoporosis run in my family. I love what Haldol does for me, but I dont want to end up like my mother who has several collapsed vertebrae, is in chronic pain and on disability.

I just feel so desperate having to choose between these two options, he won't give me abilify again becasue it only worked about 50% but at least it had no side effects. My GP would be willing to change the script, perhaps I should just go back to abilify under his guidance and be 50% well?

any advice is appreciated

blackbird x

as far as seroquel goes, i had the exact same reaction to it, so you're not making it up. my pdoc gave me inderal to take with it and at least it got rid of most of the twitching and jumping out of my skin, but i was still a drugged-up zombie. i looked like i was high all the time.

as far as haldol, you could inquire about symmetrel, a drug i take for my high prolactin levels from risperdal. now instead of having milk just running out of my breasts, it is very difficult to make a tiny drop come out. that's an improvement! he got the idea from, of all people, the ever-trustworthy risperdal rep, who claimed that the lactation was a form of EPS. i don't know. i just know that i'm not draining out milk anymore.

you could also ask about supplementation and if taking vitamins/minerals could strengthen your bones. have bone density tests to make sure your skeleton is in good shape, just like you would if you were on the depo shot.

if you decide to try haldol, you could always see if symmetrel would work, and what the bone density tests would show.

abilify? ask yourself if 50% is good enough for you. your pdoc would rather you be doped up and 100% (and probably also taking inderal) than 50%. can you combine abilify with any other atypical?

have you tried the other atypicals? i don't remember from your previous posts. if you have sensitive prolactin like i do, then zyprexa and risperdal may both make you lactate. as i said, i'm having luck with the symmetrel and rispedal.

except that it is a newer member of my cocktail and i always forget to take it...now, if i'd actually remember to take all my meds and not just some, i may have better luck wtih them, huh?

if you want to know more about inderal or symmetrel, just let me know.

loon

Thanks for your reply Loon,

I think I will go down the Haldol route if the doctor agrees to give me something to stop high prolactin. I can't believe my p-doc was such a patronizing cocksucker and said I didn't have akathisia when I know that I did. I'm really angry in retrospect that he played the issue down. I will tell him to stick his Seroquel up his ass.

Can't take Zyprexa or Risperdal due to extreme weight gain. Amisulpride didnt work either, Haldol works best for me out of all the drugs I have taken, I guess I'll have to stick with it but I might disregard everything the fucker says and work with my GP instead - go down the abilify route. Can you spot the borderline rage in me? ;)

blackbird x

i've heard that in the UK they're not big on off-lable uses for drugs, and i think that use for prolactin levels could be off label (though i think one of the main uses is EPS, and if he considers the prolactin to be EPS, then it would be covered). i don't know if there's anything besides symmetrel, like nutritionally, that would help with prolactin.

or i guess abilify. you said you could work while having mental problems. if it is the lesser of the evils for you, sometimes you've just got to do it. i wish there was something that would help you 100% that wouldn't make you a zombie, or lactate.

i haven't had my prolactin checked, but i do know that i'm not "milking" anymore.

Fuck the p-doc, he once told me that I know as much about medication as he does, I'm not buying into his options of Seroquel (so I can become a fat, drugged out zombie) or Haldol full time. I will work with my GP who will give me abilify and haldol for PRN purposes for when the shit hits the fan. ;) This is honestly what I feel to be my best option. Im going back to work in January and I ca't afford to be a zombie.

zombie=bad! and twitching zombie=very, very bad! and twitching zombie who looks like she does drugs=very, very, very bad!

good luck with the abilify and work in january. it is a sad day when we know more about our medications than our pdocs, but i'm convinced i know more about my particular ones than my pdoc does too.

loon

Thanks for your support Chimpmaster!

As soon as the doctors open after the holidays I will go and ask for a script for abilify. There is no way I can get back to work and take seroquel - It makes me sleep 12 hours a night and makes me feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I will be taking 30mgs of abilify, and Haldol for emergencies. This is what I want and I hope the GP agrees to this. After this, I don't want anymore messing about with tablets. Screw the patronizing p-doc

blackbird x

Personally I'd choose anything over something that makes me zombie-like. That's what 40mg of Lexapro did to me and it was just hell.

I'm taking Abilify right now and it's just great. Hopefully it works well for you.

Good luck with that and work in January. ;)

i agree. i think that if it were me and i had to choose between being half psychotic and being half asleep/twitching/looking drugged all the time, i'd take being half psychotic and being able to function.

thank you blackbird. you'll do great at work. ;)

ps- per your suggestion i added ginkgo to my daily med intake. it doesn't interact with any of the other things i take. the lady at the vitamin shop was against adding ginsing (sp), but did have me take a multi-vitamin high in B complex vitamins, because the meds i take are hard on the body's B vitamins.

Loon sweetie, you are a total darling, thanks for all your support and helpful replies :) If you ever wanna get something off your chest or need support just PM me

I will go the abilify route, I think my psyche is stabilized enough for just abilify, I need to get back to work and can't be a seroquel zombie

I'm really glad that the gingko is working for you Loon, it works for me too and doesn't make me psychotic, ginseng is a bit dodgy, my local health shop wouldn't prescribe it for antipsychotic reasons and it's probably a best idea not to take them but gingko is very helpful ;)

Abilify doesn't have as strong a record with sz as some of the others. You might want to ask about Geodon as well. It's weight neutral. I found it a bit less sedating than risperdal but it still made me a bit foggy. It's the only AP i've taken that I would consider taking during the day though. Of course I was taking it for OCD at a lower dose than you would be. It is available in the UK.

I can take 30mgs of abilify in the morning and not get sedated. I think it was Dan who said Abilify helps to stabilize an already stabilized psyche. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a script for it. I feel stabilized after the olanzapine so maybe it will do the job. I need to go back to work and can't cope with Seroquel's sedation and I dont need a haldol induced premature menopause. I would need to sleep 12 hours a night to cope with Seroquel and I can't be having that. I honestly feel like abilify is my only option and it is a known variable. Id rather be semi-psychotic and functional than zombified. VE - I didn't know that Geodon was available in the UK. I will ask the doc tomorrow about it

blackbird x

Guest Guest_dmf_*

God, I really am old and senile - it's been quite a while since I've been able to get on and now I've forgotten my sign-in and password. Damn.

O.K., I don't know where I read/heard this, Blackbird, but somewhere I think I've learned that PDoc's are prescribing Abilify at higher than the normal max of 30 mg. Now that I think about it, it might have been Chimpmaster so you might ask him. I will share, sadly, that I have a good friend whose husband works for the company that makes Abilify and she told me that he said that their studies have shown that Abilify is not as effective as they'd thought/hoped for hallucinations. It does seem to be beneficial for mood issues and delusions. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Take care of yourself and do what's best for you! Honestly, dd has reacted VERY well to Seroquel although she had to go up to 800 mg. a day. Yes, she does sleep between 10 - 12 hours a day which is a lot but she is basically symptom free minus what they think are symptoms that may be seizure related (not even going there - I've come to the conclusion that if I react every time they come up with *another* problem that I will quickly lose my sanity).

I can take 30mgs of abilify in the morning and not get sedated. I think it was Dan who said Abilify helps to stabilize an already stabilized psyche. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a script for it. I feel stabilized after the olanzapine so maybe it will do the job. I need to go back to work and can't cope with Seroquel's sedation and I dont need a haldol induced premature menopause. I would need to sleep 12 hours a night to cope with Seroquel and I can't be having that. I honestly feel like abilify is my only option and it is a known variable. Id rather be semi-psychotic and functional than zombified. VE - I didn't know that Geodon was available in the UK. I will ask the doc tomorrow about it

blackbird x

Hi DMF! It's so good to see you back here! ;)

I managed to get my GP to agree to the abilify at 15 mgs, the p-doc will be highly displeased but I will fight my ground. I am planning to get back to work in the New Year - probably having to rise at 7am so I cannot see how I would function on Seroquel. I feel pretty good, I didn't get any olanzapine withdrawal symptoms and my appetite is at an acceptable rate. I'm glad the Seroquel is working for your daughter!

blackbird x

That's really a bad idea unless you can go up quite a bit higher. It's marketed heavily as a bp drug for the simple reason that it hasn't worked particularly well for SZ.

Is going to work sleepy really worse than going to work hallucinating?

What's the largest dose you ever tried seroquel at? Most people find it less sedating at larger doses as you have to take it 2-3 times a day anyway. What about Risperdal, Geodon, or Clozapine? The other typicals? They pretty much all have a better track record.

I know in my heart that it is a bad idea VE, but I am scared that the Seroquel is going to have the same effect Olanzapine had on my appetite and bulimia. Already my bulimia is better under control on the Abilify and my appetite has decreased. I don't get any bad side effects from Abilify which I why I like taking it. I haven't been having any hallucinations or really intrusive nasty thoughts and delusions since I have been on it. Seroquel gives me terrible akathisia and when I tried to tell the p-doc about it he went on about placebos and acted like I was a liar. I was on it at 200mgs for about 3 weeks.

I have tried risperdal - terrible weight gain, sedation and hyper-prolactin levels (premature menopause and severe osteoporosis run in my family). I didn't feel like it would work

Geodon has never been mentioned to me, Im not sure if it's available over here

Haldol has similar hyper-prolactin problems to risperdal

Clozapine - they keep asking me if I want to try it but the weight gain is even worse than Olanzapine and it again, like Seroquel is very sedating.

I just don't know what to do - I keep looking at my options and they all seem pretty bleak except abilify, which at least has no bad side effects for me and makes life at least tolerable

Archived