CrazyBoards.org

Mysterious back pain

Guest Guest_sdjeff_*

Guest Guest_sdjeff_*

I'm pretty sure that this is not a topic for crazyboards, but I'm hoping somebody can at least point in the right direction.

I have major pain in my lower back. It's worse when I exert, like walking or cleaning. I've had an x-ray done and there is no arthritis, rheumatism or any kind of bone disease. Disk space is maintained. Lupus and lyme disease are negative. All is well except it did show that I have mild (15 degree) Thoracic Scoliosis. I've had 2 gdocs look at the films and they agree the scoliosis should not be causing the level of pain I have.

I've been on Darvocet and other opiods with marginal results. I can't take them now with my current cocktail. I've tried using Cymblata, Neurontin and other pmeds and none even touch it. Poor results with NSAIDS and i've tried several. I take as much Indocin as my stomach can handle. i might as well take sugar pills.

So what can I do?

What could be causing this? One gdoc says Fibromyalgia. rgat explains a lot but for some reason doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm in denial.

I don't know. Any other stuff I can look at? Any treatments I can look into? Anything?

maybe go to a good massage therapist and get their opinion.

there are lots of things that can occur in the muscle itself to cause severe back pain. i used to get myofacial pain a lot, but it's cleared up (another bonus to my hysterectomy), and it never showed up on any tests doctors run. that is when the muscle gets very painful knots in them, basically.

the only real "cure" seems to be massage. yoga and pilates helped me a lot because it helped stretch and strengthen the muscles.

good luck!

abi

maybe go to a good massage therapist and get their opinion.

Seriously. When you have your hands literally on the various muscle groups (and have enough training to know which ones they are and where they are supposed to be)

you can give your client pretty good info as to what's really knotted/tight/unbalanced or not.

the only real "cure" seems to be massage. yoga and pilates helped me a lot because it helped stretch and strengthen the muscles.

Massage could give some symptom relief if there's nothing structurally wrong. Additional options would be Tai Chi or other martial arts, even formal dance classes.

For the back, posture is a BIG issue for many people - but practiced dancers and martial artists often develop amazingly good posture. Weight training can also help

build back support, but you'd need to work with someone who really knows his/her stuff (practically physical therapy - but without a diagnosis/referral the

professional PT is probably impossible to get)

Archived