Adderall XR and Hair Loss?

The only thing recent change in my medications has been the addition of adderall xr, and since about a week or so after i started taking it, i started losing much more hair than usual in the shower and when i brush my hair. i also started taking ginkgo, however all my research on that shows that it is used to actually stimulate hair growth and not make you lose hair.

i looked on the PI sheet to see if hair loss was even listed as a side effect, and it wasn't. i googled it and got a couple hits on it as a rare side effect, but that was about it.

have any of you lost hair on adderall, or know of someone who has? is this in my imagination or something? how long before my hair vitamin kicks in and makes the hair loss stop? ;)

loon

i'm vegan, so eating right is always an issue. i'm trying to eat as much as i can, and i'm dropping weight. i've already lost 5lbs, and it isn't like i need to lose weight. so it very well could be the food issue. it could just be coincidental timing and the food issue- i haven't been eating right or enough since i started on ssdi.

tomorrow i'm going to the doctor for a full blood workup to see if it is hormonal or nutritional. hopefully we'll get some answers.

in the meantime, my research is showing that i can actually take the combined pill, but just need a higher dose of lamictal (i wish they'd make up their minds about this!). every study seems to be different on whether or not there is an increased risk of pregnancy in women who take lamictal and the bc pill.

Guest Guest_Jonathan_*

tomorrow i'm going to the doctor for a full blood workup to see if it is hormonal or nutritional. hopefully we'll get some answers.

in the meantime, my research is showing that i can actually take the combined pill, but just need a higher dose of lamictal (i wish they'd make up their minds about this!). every study seems to be different on whether or not there is an increased risk of pregnancy in women who take lamictal and the bc pill.

There is no history of hair loss in my family but here i am at 25 loosing hair in the crown area and Im beginning to suspect adderall. I never had an issue with hair loss until about three years, around the same time I began adderall. I'm just wondering if you found anything related to hair loss and adderall. A cursory google search doesn't really turn up anything definitive on loosing your hair while on adderall... Just wondering what your blood work might have said. thansk much -jon@smurfsex.net

Guest Chachii

I too am on Adderall XR 30mg, since July of 2006, I was losing hair normally or so I thought, it seems until I switched to the 30mg dose. My hair falls out like mad, it has thinned out so much through the front at the top of my forehead. I even called Shire and they have no idea why that would be happening.

I too went to the doctor and am waiting for blood work results...I thought it might be something called Tellogen Effulvium, rapid hair loss brought on by stress to your body, Google it, but it just seems so coincidental that I've never had hair issues until I got on Adderall. Is there a similar medication I can switch to because it really does work for me?

Chachii

adderall really works for me too, and as far as what my pdoc has said, he'd put me on concerta next, but that has a known side effect of hair loss.

i haven't gotten my blood work back yet, but i think it's the adderall and i'll probably ask my pdoc to stop it. as much as i love adderall, it was too coincidental that as soon as i started taking it i started losing too much hair.

now, my gyn said it could be stress on my body, especially my liver, caused by too much medication in my system demanding too many different things of my liver. so she wanted me to switch contraceptions from the pill (processed in the liver) to the ring (doesn't go through the liver), and ask my pdoc about getting off of risperdal, which messes with lactation. i got off of risperdal and the med i took to surpress lactation, the symmetrel, and take abilify now. so there are 2 less meds i take that go through my liver.

i don't know if i'm losing less hair. if i don't stop losing hair here soon and my blood work doesn't yield any answers, i'm going to stop adderall. as much as i love it, i love my hair more. i have such nice, thick hair, and i'm not going to lose it.

my uncle is a pharmacist and he said that hair loss isn't even a rare side effect for adderall so it can't be that, but it is just too coincidental. maybe my gyn is right and it is stress on my body/liver.

i think i'll know soon enough. when i know what it is for me, i'll let you know.

i just did a google on Telogen Effluvium, and they suggest doing a pull test to see if you have it- pick several spots on your scalp, and take an area with about 25-30 hairs, and do a sharp tug. you should get 2-3. if you get more like 5, then you could have it. look at the end. it should have a waxy shaft. if it doesn't, then it could be TE.

i just did a pull test on my hair and it doesn't look like TE.

that might be what she was talking about. i have another appointment with her on the 23rd. she ran a test on my prolactin (i was taking risperdal) and on my thyroid.

i asked on yahoo answers about adderall and hair loss, and a doctor said that none of his patients, including his son, have experienced hair loss due to adderall.

i was looking and it could be a hormonal imbalance as well, maybe because i was taking micronor (birth control that took away my periods) and risperdal (too much prolactin). i have no idea. i just want my hair to stop falling out!

The active compounds in adderal have been in use and studied for something like 50 years. If it's the adderal that's causing hair loss, it seems like it would have to be a coloring or another inactive ingredient that is to blame. Since it's available in both brand and generic formulations, you might want to try both.

If your ADD is as bad as you say and it works, what's wrong with a wig? When it comes to stimulants, variations on amphetimine and methylphenidate are all there is. You just tossed half your options out the window on a hunch.

Hormonal imbalance seems pretty obvious.

I thought it was in this thread where I posted the link but I guess not. You have a few on this subject. Hair loss is common side effect of discontinuing many birth control pills regardless of if it's to stop taking them or to change the kind your are taking. It can take 6-8 months for your hair to get back to normal.

ve-

my gyn took me off of micronor (progestin only) and put me on nuvaring (combined) because she felt that an estrogen/progesterone imbalance could be at work. she also thought that the high prolactin levels from risperdal could have something to do with it, so asked me to ask my pdoc to discontinue risp. both of these were in response to losing my hair, not prior to losing my hair.

she said that either my liver is overreacting, or there is an imbalance with the progesterone/estrogen/prolactin axis in my body. that would be corrected with different bc and the discontinuation of risp.

she thinks it is coincidence that losing my hair happened about two weeks after i started adderall.

it may also be that TE, and if it is that, then the event causing the hair loss happened months ago and i have no control over what happened months ago. it could have been when i began micronor, as beginning bc also screws with your hair. i'd have to see a derm to figure out what kind of hair loss i have and speculate on why and what, if anything, we can do about it.

i've read that TE isn't so bad, it usually stops, and doesn't usually lead to noticeable hair loss.

i want to be able to drive, but i want my hair too.

i found a good article on pub med about a study with women having hair loss due to a progesterone/prolactin imbalance.

i hope they're right and this is hormonal, so i don't have to stop a med that really helps me (and makes everyone safer on the road) ;)

• 1 year later...
Guest bogmishphere

i am 100% certain adderral xr is the reason for my hair loss since it started almost immediately after i started taking it - about 2 weeks. not only that i have lost 30#s and i am yellow! i am normally caucasion. its not funny. i saw my uncle die of liver failure and his corpse was yellow. i have seen animals die of jaundice-liver failure-yellow skin. its scarry to know that all this research done in vein on animals has done absolutely nothing to prove the reliability of drugs they supposedly pretest on. yet they kill millions of animals a day in labs, when in actuality we are the guinea pigs. dont get me wrong, i don't think innocent people like us should be guinea pigs, but i also dont think innocent animals should be either. its been proven time and time again that science can replicate these outcomes via computers. and really, if they can't wouldn't you rather have known these results sooner via a human guinea pig. i would. unfortunately we all are. despite what your doc and pharmacisit tell you. their statistics dont mean jack. you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry. i have been on it for only4 months. i have also lost about 25 pounds. given the only plus of my ability to focus. i am only getting about 3 hours a sleep at night at best. i need at least eight.

not mellow-yellow

i am 100% certain adderral xr is the reason for my hair loss since it started almost immediately after i started taking it - about 2 weeks. not only that i have lost 30#s and i am yellow! i am normally caucasion. its not funny. i saw my uncle die of liver failure and his corpse was yellow. i have seen animals die of jaundice-liver failure-yellow skin. its scarry to know that all this research done in vein on animals has done absolutely nothing to prove the reliability of drugs they supposedly pretest on. yet they kill millions of animals a day in labs, when in actuality we are the guinea pigs. dont get me wrong, i don't think innocent people like us should be guinea pigs, but i also dont think innocent animals should be either. its been proven time and time again that science can replicate these outcomes via computers. and really, if they can't wouldn't you rather have known these results sooner via a human guinea pig. i would. unfortunately we all are. despite what your doc and pharmacisit tell you. their statistics dont mean jack. you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry. i have been on it for only4 months. i have also lost about 25 pounds. given the only plus of my ability to focus. i am only getting about 3 hours a sleep at night at best. i need at least eight.

not mellow-yellow

Dude, if it's that bad, why are you still taking that particular med?

not mellow-yellow

I second Luna - why are you still taking this if it has given you this much trouble? If you are positive that all of these side effects are from this med and not some other confounding variable (bc then you would want to change that), you can go to your doctor and tell him that the side effects are too much to handle. Not to mention, if your skin really is jaundice as you said, you shouldnt just be ignoring it but going to a regular doc as well to get some tests. Then you can go to your pdoc and discuss a possible med change. some meds are not for everyone. what works for one person might not work for the next. that is how it goes.

good luck

Adderall is a C-II drug

That means it requires a visit every 30d for a refill.

Therefore someone is, in theory, seeing you every 30 days, unless they are crosswise with the DEA.

If you are this concerned, it is your responsibility as a human (not a guinea pig with thumbs) to

1) tell your prescriber that you believe it is causing liver problems, and call his or her attention to your apparently jaundiced skin and sclera and your dramatic weight loss

and

2) get your self in to your GP. Or the ER. You would be wanting a CMP/LFTs drawn. Liver failure is pretty easy to diagnose.

Bada bing, bada boom.

Anyone who's lost that much weight that fast, I'd expect some hair loss.

Hair loss from drugs or environmental stressors usually takes 2 months minimum to show up.

you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry.

If you really are experiencing jaundice and hair loss, you damn well need to see a doctor instead of ranting online about being a human guinea pig on speed. Liver damage and hepatitis are NOT things to screw around with.

I would be way more concerned abut being yellow than the hair issue, yikes!

In my own experience, I starting losing hair afer about 6 months on Lamictal, and it's not really come back. Since I'm a chick, extensions will be my gift from Santa.

But please get your liver patched up. No med is worth that!

Best of luck

• 4 months later...
Guest ilana615

i didn't lose any of my hair, but it changed A LOT. Im REALLY young, so it wasn't a natural thing at all. The color got lighter and the texture of it turned from REALLY wavy to straight and flat. And the thickness changed. it went from thick and shiny to thin and almost wispy. The color itself went from black-brown to reddish-hazel. i looked online too and apparently its becoming more and more common...the only problem is i need the adderall for school...otherwise i get crap grades.

• 1 month later...
Guest Travis

Amphetamine may cause hair loss via two mechanisms: 1) By decreasing blood flow to scalp, 2) By increasing serum testosterone levels, which in turn raises levels of DHT.

I started taking Adderall in 2006, and I can state with 100% certainty that it makes my hair fall out. If I stop taking it for even 2 weeks the loss is reversed, and I can see the re-growth. I have stopped-started the therapy many times, and it always yields the same result: Hair doesn't grow/falls out while taking, and grows like crazy when not taking.

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure, which was increased by the amphetamine. Long story short, if you don't correct the breathing problem, you develop respiratory acidosis, which leads to right side heart failure.

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure,

which was increased by the amphetamine.

Actually, not breathing tends to lead to high blood pressure, as anyone dealing with apnea can tell you.

Even if your theory were valid, there's still the minor issue that stimulants are generally not prescribed for ADHD at a high enough dose to raise blood bressure more than a few mmHg. Unless you have severe circulatory problems, a heated argument or light exercise will raise your blood pressure more - and your body will NOT try to compensate by not breathing.

• 4 months later...

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure,

which was increased by the amphetamine.

Actually, not breathing tends to lead to high blood pressure, as anyone dealing with apnea can tell you.

Even if your theory were valid, there's still the minor issue that stimulants are generally not prescribed for ADHD at a high enough dose to raise blood bressure more than a few mmHg. Unless you have severe circulatory problems, a heated argument or light exercise will raise your blood pressure more - and your body will NOT try to compensate by not breathing.

i am having this same problem, but i have been taking high doses of adderall (100 mgs) a day. I noticed dandruff and itchy scalp, then noticed hair thinning after 2 weeks of on and off. now im still taking it but i have a mini (seriously not that big) thinning spot on my vertex, and diffuse thinning that looks like lines throughout my whole scalp. I have no receding hairline but this is seriously troubling me.

When the hair first fell out it seemed normal sized and had white bulbs. now my hair is semi thin and wispy in certain areas and i see tiny hairs falling out and also hairs without bulbs now falling out. i am losing hair on the sides of my head too! just wondering if when im done with drugs... will my hair come back?? i used to have perfect brown thick hair, im 24 this sucks. oh also, zero mpb in my family, both sides. I have my dad's exact hair, hes 65 and has a full head of thick gray hair (used to be brown)

somebody let me know whats up?

also anyone who says that adderall, ritalin, concerta, focalin etc. doesnt cause hair loss... your rediculous its a well documented fact that amphetamines cause it, and all those prescription drugs are amphetamines

i am having this same problem, but i have been taking high doses of adderall (100 mgs) a day. I noticed dandruff and itchy scalp, then noticed hair thinning after 2 weeks of on and off. now im still taking it but i have a mini (seriously not that big) thinning spot on my vertex, and diffuse thinning that looks like lines throughout my whole scalp. I have no receding hairline but this is seriously troubling me.

1. Well considering that the max dose for adderall is 60mg (for narcolepsy) I'm not sure what you're expecting. If you think the adderall is causing a side effect that's a problem, you should probably take that concern to the physician who decided to put you on the higher dose.

When the hair first fell out it seemed normal sized and had white bulbs. now my hair is semi thin and wispy in certain areas and i see tiny hairs falling out and also hairs without bulbs now falling out. i am losing hair on the sides of my head too! just wondering if when im done with drugs... will my hair come back?? i used to have perfect brown thick hair, im 24 this sucks. oh also, zero mpb in my family, both sides. I have my dad's exact hair, hes 65 and has a full head of thick gray hair (used to be brown)

2. Are you eating well? Regular meals? Adderall is known to decrease the appetite and if your body isn't getting what it needs every day fucked up things can happen... like your hair falling out.

also anyone who says that adderall, ritalin, concerta, focalin etc. doesnt cause hair loss... your rediculous its a well documented fact that amphetamines cause it, and all those prescription drugs are amphetamines

3. Documented... where? If you're going to call people ridiculous, then please back it up. Otherwise, I don't see how your comment is anymore intelligent then someone saying that the earth is flat. Besides which - if you're so sure that it's a documented fact - why are you posting asking a question that you already appear to have yourself an answer for?

Mayteana

• 1 month later...

The only thing recent change in my medications has been the addition of adderall xr, and since about a week or so after i started taking it, i started losing much more hair than usual in the shower and when i brush my hair. i also started taking ginkgo, however all my research on that shows that it is used to actually stimulate hair growth and not make you lose hair.

i looked on the PI sheet to see if hair loss was even listed as a side effect, and it wasn't. i googled it and got a couple hits on it as a rare side effect, but that was about it.

have any of you lost hair on adderall, or know of someone who has? is this in my imagination or something? how long before my hair vitamin kicks in and makes the hair loss stop? ;)

loon

I am 19 years old and have been taking aderral for a few months now, and I also have noticed that more of my hair seems to be falling out! I thought I was the only one here, I will speak to my doctor about this.

i am 22 year old female and have been taking adderall for two weeks now. today i took a shower and a large chunk of hair came out in my hand while washing, i turned around and saw that the drain was really clogged by even more hair. Im kinda scared i have always had nice thick hair and i dont want it to fall out

• 1 month later...
Guest Valerie

OMG I AM SOOO HAPPY THAT I FOUND THIS THREAD!!

I wear hair extensions so it's easy to mistake the fake hair with my real hair when it's in the sink, shower or brush. After being on Adderall XR for about 3 months I went to get my extensions removed and while my stylist was brushing and washing my hair it started coming out in HUGE clumps. She had an ENTIRE fistful by the time she was finished. I have never experienced anything like this. I literally lost 1/3 of my natural hair:(

This med has also caused me to have an irregular heart beat. I love being focused and feeling in control and efficient, but obviously this med is toxic to my body. I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow, and I REFUSE to take Adderall XR any more!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Adderall for over a year. I just took the bar exam so yes I have been major stressed out for the last three years. The first year of law school I used a mail order caffienee pill. I was crazy stressed and didn't eat. I saw lots of side effects and at the time I didn't really relate this one to anything more than stress but by mid winter I noticed I had lost a ton of hair. I stopped taking the caffienee pills and a year and a half later my hair grew back full and beautiful (I have an insane amount of hair, like wayyyyyy tooooo much hair and it is thick and beautiful). When it grew back I noticed the hair shaft itself was thinner but hey I welcomed this change. I know my fellow female law students and my friends in medical school/residency all had har loss so I figured it was stress and poor diet. I started adderall in Spring of 2008. I have been on it continuously and this past summer during the bar exam I completely abused it. I see a correlation between when I am stressed and when my hair shedding cycle increases (the hair started falling out again october of 2008, right when I noticed how luscious and thick and full it had become). I belong to a forum called the women's hair loss project AMAZING SITE!!!!! SO MUCH INFORMATION SO EMPOWERING AND SUPPORTIVE I totally encourage you to join.

Anyways I don't have any definitive answers but I have talked to other women experiencing the same odd coincidence (adderall/stimulants and hair loss). I have seen psychiatrist, OBGYN, 3-4 dermatologists, 3 plastic surgeons, 1 pcp, and 1 endocrinologist, none of them had heard of adderall causing hair loss but hey I grew up in the medical world I lived/dated/was the child of doctors just cause they don't know of something doesn't mean it isn't true. I am getting off the adderall and praying praying my hair loss stops. Like I said I have a ton of hair, I had way too much hair. But I have now lost over 80% of my hair. Of course no one who doesn't know me would even really notice, my hair looks normal now. But it has taken a huge toll on my self-confidence and mental health and I don't know when or if the falling out will stop.

Main point: Dr's don't know, if you have a thyroid issue than they can help otherwise they will just probably put you on a difference birth control and/or aldactone which does help a lot of woman (Please see a dr before taking aldactone you have to have bloodwork done) But seriously save your $. Stop the adderall eat healthy, and if you need to start buying extensions and toppers like I am, I would rather spend the $500 on a topper and feel calm and put the hair loss in the back of my mind than spend it on lab work which shows nothing and a Dr who says "Doctors don't really know how to treat this." If you want go on rogain or propecia but be careful if you still want kids, and be ready for it to make your hair texture weird, it never helped me and I have heard a lot of the hair will fall out once you stop. Look I've been dealing with this for 3 years seen some amazing docs, tried the holostic homeopathic route, but nothing will work, no amount of special shampoo or pill will work if it is you, your stress, unhealthy eating, and stimulants that are causing all of this.

OMG I AM SOOO HAPPY THAT I FOUND THIS THREAD!!

I wear hair extensions so it's easy to mistake the fake hair with my real hair when it's in the sink, shower or brush. After being on Adderall XR for about 3 months I went to get my extensions removed and while my stylist was brushing and washing my hair it started coming out in HUGE clumps. She had an ENTIRE fistful by the time she was finished. I have never experienced anything like this. I literally lost 1/3 of my natural hair:(

This med has also caused me to have an irregular heart beat. I love being focused and feeling in control and efficient, but obviously this med is toxic to my body. I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow, and I REFUSE to take Adderall XR any more!

Guest Huysmans

I have played around with adderall for the last year or so for add and overall fatigue. I talked myself into believing that the hair thinning was simply age-related mpb, until I would go on the "adderall vacations". While breaking from the drug, my hair ceased shedding, and began growing in thicker. When I go back on, these little currents of itchiness would sort of gather at various places on my scalp, and--when I gently pull hair at those sites--the hair just comes out.

I think the drug, by nature, can potentially damage tiny nerve fibers in the follicles. Justlike everything other bodily function, hair growth is affected by the cns and endocrine system. Amphetamines are effective by acting directly on the cns.

Though I'm no expert, this just seems like simple logic to me. It may not happen to everyone--but, if you think your hair loss is related to adderall (or any dl-amphetamine, dopamine agonist, stimulant, et cetera), don't let the lack of study into it persuade you otherwise. It's waay more common than it appears on paper. And it sucks!

• 2 weeks later...

loon

I'm just coming to the realization that aderall has in fact caused hair loss for me too. I started taking aderall 30xr at school this past semester and noticed a definate thinning and hair loss at the crown of my hair line. This is abnormal to me because i was just 19 when this started to happen and i have very thick hair. I'm almost positive aderall caused my sudden hair loss.

Yes im almost postive it does! Hair loss runs in the family and its been slowly falling out for some time now. But since ive been taking Adderal (only 1 week) ive noticed it falling out MUCH faster. Ive been making sure I eat a ton since ive been on it so i dont lose weight, so its not my nutrition.

My conclusion- Adderal is evil

I think the drug, by nature, can potentially damage tiny nerve fibers in the follicles. Justlike everything other bodily function, hair growth is affected by the cns and endocrine system. Amphetamines are effective by acting directly on the cns.

Only thing is that hair follicles don't have nerves, hence no connection to the CNS and thus can't be directly affected by Adderall's CNS effects. Secondary effects like changes in blood pressure, vascularization, blood flow etc, and of course endocrine systems are possible of course.

a.m.

Guest Huysmans

Only thing is that hair follicles don't have nerves, hence no connection to the CNS and thus can't be directly affected by Adderall's CNS effects. Secondary effects like changes in blood pressure, vascularization, blood flow etc, and of course endocrine systems are possible of course.

a.m.

Here you go: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9703.htm

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I never thought adderall would hv a side effect as such. I started taking Adderall 2 1/2 mo ago and my hair is falling out everywhere! In the shower especially and its all over my house and clothes. I havent lost any weight. I eat healthy and take a variety of vitamins daily. I started taking biotine about a year ago to help my nails grow, n noticed my hair got longer and thicker. But as soon as I started meds, my hair color looks dull n my scalp is very itchy. I cant stop scratching my head! Its so annoying! Im also feelin very sore in back and neck. Feet hands and nose feel cold often. Not sure if its a bloodpressure issue?? dnt kno? I mentioned hair loss issue to family doc n he referred me to dermatologist.. My daughter, 13 has been on meds since 8yrs old n she has thick waist length hair..only thing coming to mind now is she lost all curls!! used to have tight curls. thought mabye cause hair got longer?? idk mabye thinking to much now??

OK I just googled telogen effulvium and found a web site AOCD.org and what I read made ALOT of sense!! It could be so many different issues! Everyone is different. No one with the same make up! But could be the drug for sure..or not. Some people dont even realize how different their daily life becomes after starting meds. So in fact it might not be the medication it self but how we change mentally, physically and not fully aware. I know alot of people in denial! They take certain drugs or do certain things and then cant understand why certains things happen?? IDK. Im just wondering if it is the meds ...then what?? Is there another medication to treat ADD that wont hv same effects??

• 4 weeks later...

I found this thread last night while searching for side effects of adderall. I'm 26 and have been taking 10mg of xr about five days a week for three years. three months ago my doctor upped it to 20 a day and i take it 7 days a week. Now i've noticed since the increase that my hair is thinning, i have uncontrollable dandruff, and dry skin on my face and in my ears. The only thing that has changed is the dosage and frequency of this medication. So i would have to believe that this is responsible for mine and all of your problems. The dry skin isn't a problem it's manageable. the dandruff is horrible and since there's no bald men in my family going back three generations i can't stand the thought of losing my hair.

My one question is if anyone has stopped taking this medication has there hair came back or will i have thin hair forever?

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

It's the pills! Stop them! It's doing the same thing to me! I thought I was the only one! It's a bad drug. I ahve lost so much hair and it takes so long to grow back. I've been bugging out too!! It sux!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Turner

I have been been on/off adderall for the past 7 years. I am now 25 and taking 40 mg a day to feel the same effect from 20mg when i first started the drug. It's a drug with a fatal attraction, you must know how to to handle it or the side effects will take its toll on your body.

First off, never take it on a empty stomach, it makes me nausaus and sometimes causes a reverse effect where i am in a zombie state an unable to focus.

Second, I have noticed dramatic increase of hairloss when I incresead the dosage. My hair on my crown and vertex is thinning FAST, becoming soft, and even grey! I know grey hair is heriditary in my family, but it appears its deff speeding up this process. After all, It is an AMPHETAMINE!

Third, I am only eating one meal daily and find myself forcing food down my throat. My doctor states that there's no connection to the side effects I have and the adderall (besides decreased appetite). I SAY....LOL! I noticed my hairloss about 4 years ago while on this drug and back then I Googled hairloss+adderall, with scarce information. THE GOOD NEWS is I stopped last year for a few months and noticed my hair stopped falling out, i looked healthier, and my hair begain to grow back ;) Since then I started taking it do to work and I'm back to where i started. I must mention i do have bad ADD so it helps ALOT.

Damn it, the rooster outside is calling my name again! I see now from reading this board I am not the only sufferer of the side effects of prolonged use of adderall. I plan to stop again after this post due to my unhealthy lifestyle, hairloss, and nonstop-smoking addiction while addied out. I'll come back in a few months with some updates. Damn it, the rooster outside is calling my name again!

Adderall is a love/hate relationship. BEWARE.

I have been been on/off adderall for the past 7 years. I am now 25 and taking 40 mg a day to feel the same effect from 20mg when i first started the drug. It's a drug with a fatal attraction, you must know how to to handle it or the side effects will take its toll on your body.

First off, never take it on a empty stomach, it makes me nausaus and sometimes causes a reverse effect where i am in a zombie state an unable to focus.

Second, I have noticed dramatic increase of hairloss when I incresead the dosage. My hair on my crown and vertex is thinning FAST, becoming soft, and even grey! I know grey hair is heriditary in my family, but it appears its deff speeding up this process. After all, It is an AMPHETAMINE!

Third, I am only eating one meal daily and find myself forcing food down my throat. My doctor states that there's no connection to the side effects I have and the adderall (besides decreased appetite). I SAY....LOL! I noticed my hairloss about 4 years ago while on this drug and back then I Googled hairloss+adderall, with scarce information. THE GOOD NEWS is I stopped last year for a few months and noticed my hair stopped falling out, i looked healthier, and my hair begain to grow back ;) Since then I started taking it do to work and I'm back to where i started. I must mention i do have bad ADD so it helps ALOT.

Damn it, the rooster outside is calling my name again! I see now from reading this board I am not the only sufferer of the side effects of prolonged use of adderall. I plan to stop again after this post due to my unhealthy lifestyle, hairloss, and nonstop-smoking addiction while addied out. I'll come back in a few months with some updates. Damn it, the rooster outside is calling my name again!

Adderall is a love/hate relationship. BEWARE.

Up until yesterday I took myself off wellbutrin & adderall since I had severe rapid hair loss. Since I have read all over the internet both cause hair loss not sure if I can attribute the hair loss to either or both. If both then I didnt have a chance. For some unknown reason it triggers hair loss in some and not in others. At the same time it is irresponsible that these drug corps do not have this as a side affect since it is a widespread issue.

Not sure even if my hair will return but am going to get the nioxin and rogaine, whatever else that could possibly help. If this information was available to me from the beginning at least I could have made a choice without being surprised at this horrible horrible horrible situation. I'm more depressed than ever now that it is so severe to the point where I don't want to leave my house. In addition, everything was checked out like thyroid, sugar, protein, hormones, DHEA, etc. Just because some experience and others do not, this doesn't mean it's not a cause of the meds. Like I said it wasn't gradual. Would still like to know what it triggers, like i.e. adrenal gland, increase of testosterone, supression of something? What exactly could it trigger to cause the problem is what I'm hoping to find out. Yet that determination has not been discovered, especially when the corps haven't even acknowledge this is a side affect. Just b/c it's not listed doesn't mean it's not an affect of the medication. Happens all the time.

Has anyone tried Rogaine? Just curious.

And a family friend who is a neuropsychiatrist swears up and down that while some meds do cause hair loss, that it is avoidable if you find the right shampoo. Please don't take this as if I know what I am doing, I am just repeating what he said, not making guarantees. But he was the head of University of Tennessee's Psychiatric dept., so he is pretty good. And I have been on a lot of meds that are supposed to cause hair loss, and have *never* had that problem.

Has anyone thought of trying some of the more "earth friendly" shampoos? Especially avoid laurel sulfate. I know if you make a Google search for shampoo and organic or natural, a bunch will pop up. I forget what I am using, but it is organic, and has no scent or laurel sulfate added.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jamie

I began taking Adderall XR about five months ago and since then I've lost about 15% of all the hair on my head and I am only 18. I know that a typical person looses about 100 strands of hair a day and that is about how much I used to loose. I bought a kit called Nioxin for thinning hair and hair loss. The stylist at the register laughed at me and informed me that this product was meant for older women but I bought it anyway and it works great! I think the kit was about $40 at JCPenny and it included a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner and then a bottle of scalp treatment that you spray on your scalp after you've washed and conditioned. The kit lasts about a month so it can be quite pricy but after the first month you can cut down to only using it every other hair wash and it will work just fine. Now my hair is getting back it thickness and I don't loose any more than normal as long as I use this so I definately recommend you try it.

Now I just need to find a way to regrow the hair I lost.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Adderall can easily cause dehydration and dehydration leads to hair thinning and shedding... Hydrate!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Med Student

"Does Adderall cause your hair to fall out."

Let me introduce myself. I am a college student who takes very difficult classes and has difficulties paying attention. The first time I took Adderall it was without a prescription. However, I study drugs and the effects of drugs on the body and knew I would be ok to do so (considering no allergic reaction). I took a small dosage and noticed a huge difference in my concentration. Skipping ahead, I got a script for it and did well in college; the best grades I had ever achieved in my life and the most difficult classes of my life.

!1st TLDR Skip Here!

I started noticing significant hair loss around the temporal region at first. Concerned because neither my maternal or paternal grandfather, or anyone in my family, has hair loss at any age, I looked at the one thing I had changed in my life; my prescription to Adderall. I had been taking 20mg Adderall XR once a day, but occasionally twice a day. I slowly reduced the doses a week to only before tests and then since May have not taking an XR yet; I got a script for 20mg Adderall normal (pill not capsule)

!2nd TLDR Skip Here!

My hair has and is still growing back in. It is much thicker than it was a year ago and gets thicker every time I check (which is about every other week). The way I think it works is being an amphetamine it reduces the blood flow to the scalp (there are studies to back this). XR lasts for ~8 hours; that's 8 hours of reduced blood flow to the scalp. In combination with reduced food intake, which everyone does do while they are on Adderall, the scalp is being deprived of many, many nutrients needed to maintain and grow new hairs. If you stop taking or even change to occasionally taking a normal Adderall (non-XR) you should see a return in growth as I did. Not many studies have been done and it could also be a factor that long-term amphetamine usage has a hormonal effect related to hair loss.

I hope you read parts of my information pertaining to your question related to Adderall and hair loss and found it informative. If you agree/disagree I welcome any opinions.

Sincerly,

Withdrawing Med Student

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kiersten

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much everyone for your posts! I'm 18 and I've been taking Adderall XR (15mg I think) for about 10 months now. A couple months ago my dad passed behind me and asked if I was losing my hair. I had noticed a lot of hair coming out when I showered but I assumed it to be normal. Now that I was paying attention I noticed that more was coming out than was ussual. Just yesterday, my mom made the same comment and I myself had noticed when I trimmed my bangs this week that they were thinner.

I was just at a church camp this past week and forgot my medication at home. I noticed after the first couple days, when the withdrawl headaches had gone, that not as much hair was coming out in the shower--hardly any! The hard water in the shower made no sense, so I assume it to be the adderall. I was so relieved to find out from these posts that the Adderall is a possibility (it's so much better to just switch meds than if there were something seriously wrong!) I plan on talking to my doctor as soon as possible! Thank you.

From what I've read it seems that the hair grows back. Does anyone have experience with this? Please!!

Guest Donna

I believe if you take too much adderall it stresses you, which in turn causes your glandular system (hormones) to get out of balance which directly affects your thyroid. I upped my dosage from 20 to 30 mg per day and started feeling stressed and noticed my hair sstarted falling out again as it did back when my thyroid was out of whack even before I ever took adderall. When I was taking only 20 mg a day, my hair was fine. Taking kelp will feed your throid and as far as I know, is not a harmful combo. But, I also had stressful things going on at home as well and that could be why I felt physically stressed like I never had before. Stress causes your fight and flight to engage more than it is designed to, and that gets glandular system messed up, thus hair falls out in some people.

FWIW i mentioned this thread to my pdoc who is an ADD expert. He verified that there is no enough data to connect hair loss to amphetamines in rare instances. It's something so rare there's no way it ever would have showed up at clinical trials, but there is a pattern there.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tonight made the connection between my itchy skin and scalp and my change to the adderall. It is hard to say exactly because the itching has not been consistent, however it definitely started immediately after I started the aderrall and then stopped for some time and then gradually started again. It is odd however because the rhitilin definitely did not have this affect on me and it is known for causing dehydration. And I have also noticed lately that have been craving water more than usual, one glass after another. I feel my body is drying up. The worst part of my circumstances was that the itching started when I was abroad and a friend of mine had just had bed bugs so at first I thought it was bed bugs or fleas or something of that nature. Then I went to the doctor and he said it was just an allergy (he did not speak English and my Spanish is still limited so we didn't go into much detail other possibilities) Anyways generally antihistamines are the go-to-thing for mild allergic reactions. I went home(back to US)) a week later and the itching slowly went away and then about a week and a half later it gradually reimerged, stronger than before, combined with severe dandruff like scalpel flacs (very itchy) along with itchy smallish spread out bumps on my neck/upper back, shoulders, and around my ankles. I had head lice when I was little and believe me I don't think there is much of a difference at the moment. I actually can probably feel this more than the lice. I really hope going back to the rhitilin does not have the same reaction! I am just glad I found this thread because here there are so many stories that I can relate with. Tthe thing that sucks is that those people who have not made the connection btw the itching/ hair loss and aderall will not find this until they have that epiphany...clearly adderall needs to update it's known side effects! I hope everyone that reads this post will take some action and try to bring attention to this severe oversight...

Sincerely,

Tired&Itchy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest emeraldshel

There is no history of hair loss in my family but here i am at 25 loosing hair in the crown area and Im beginning to suspect adderall. I never had an issue with hair loss until about three years, around the same time I began adderall. I'm just wondering if you found anything related to hair loss and adderall. A cursory google search doesn't really turn up anything definitive on loosing your hair while on adderall... Just wondering what your blood work might have said. thansk much -jon@smurfsex.net

Guest emeraldshel

A Reply to all who are taking Adderall and noticing hair loss; YES, this is definitely a side effect. My doctor gave me a special print-out he had of all the different stimulant meds and their common and not-so-common side effects.

I started Adderall again in April and as of now, late August, the hair over my temple on JUST the left side of my head has thinned dramatically, and I noticed this within 6 weeks of starting it up again. It may be my over 50 age, because when I took Adderal XR before, 5 years ago, it did not do this. (Actuallly I was taking mostly Adderall short acting).

this info is especially important for CHILDREN!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest dick hertz

i'm 20, college/family life/gf issues/lack of sleep/etc, really stressed me out. I noticed i was losing my hair at a rapid rate. after a short vacation i came back to school from winter break and started getting better sleep and started taking propecia and adderall. i was losing hair at a slower rate and some was coming back. I then added minoxodil to my regiment a couple months later and it sped up the process once again. i did notice however that i was still losing much hair in the shower even though my hair was getting thicker. i stopped adderall when school ended and all summer my hair was progressively getting thicker and less fell out. hair falling out is natural - i believe there is always a shedding phase before regrowth every 6 weeks or some shit. maybe adderall just speeds up these phases of shedding making them closer together in time, with less time for regrowth. now that school has begun again i just started adderall and ive noticed quite a bit of hair falling out in the shower instantly, however, my hair looks thick every morning i wake up...

loon

I am on line typing in the same question!!! I am on adderal and believe it is causing me to loss hair as well!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

After I started taking adderall, I noticed the hair on the lateral aspect of my legs inferior to my knees started falling out. My head hair is mostly gone but that runs in my family.

I have had abnormal amounts of hair loss and it is freaking me out!!!!

When I wash my hair strands of at least 10 come out, when I brush it I have like 20 strands, and it is all over my shirts, and when I grab the bottom of my hair, I have strands coming out of the roots.

I take biotin and always have but I just started adderral and losing my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The active compounds in adderal have been in use and studied for something like 50 years. If it's the adderal that's causing hair loss, it seems like it would have to be a coloring or another inactive ingredient that is to blame. Since it's available in both brand and generic formulations, you might want to try both.

If your ADD is as bad as you say and it works, what's wrong with a wig? When it comes to stimulants, variations on amphetimine and methylphenidate are all there is. You just tossed half your options out the window on a hunch.

Hormonal imbalance seems pretty obvious.

i'm on the generic adderall not the XR and my hair is falling out too. i'm wondering if it's the lack of nutrients. But my body can't automatically respond the day I take my pills and my hair just falls out. there are days i forget to take my med and it doesn't fall out as much. It's pretty weird how one day of taking the meds my hair comes on like I have never seen. Even when I was a teenager thats when my hair fell out the most. 10yrs later while on the meds my hair loss doesn't compare. I guess I will have to go to the dr.

This is my first month on this stuff.....and it works and I love it. I am just scared of losing my hair!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pauliann

After 2 months of being on Adderol I started noticing a huge amount of hair loss. I ask the Pharm & prescribing DR and both said this is not a side affect of Adderol.

I have had the same hairdresser for 15 + years and showed her the amount of hair loss and she said this is NOT a normal amount.

I can't stop taking adderol but I cannot stop taking it as it has helped me a lot and is making a great difference within my ability to do my job.

Is anyone else having this issue? I am very concerned!

Thanks

Pauli

Yes deffinately noticed it but also have mpb on one side of my family and have endulged heavily in binge drinking being in college and all. As of recently I have takin a break from both drinking and the adderal 20 mg immediate release tablets and have noticed thatthe amount of hair i lose in the shower has significantly slowed down w/in a couple weeks. Its been too early to tell if the hair will start thickening back up but I definately see a correlation between adderal and hair thinning. Also I used to notice hairs just falling off randomly during the day fairly often and that has reduced as well.

Though I know im not the best resource due to the variables I can say I have questioned this problem for a long time, and glad to have found this thread, ha gives me hope that its not just mpb.

I have been on adderall IR 20 mg for about 5 months and I am noticing the side effect of thinning hair. I have seen this same problem happen to me years ago when I took Zoloft daily for about 5 months (then stopped). I am not in panic mode about it. My hair grew back into it's original condition once I stopped the zoloft, in fact it grew back thicker for some reason.

The same principle applies when I don't take my adderall for more than a week. My hair grows back in and thickens rapidly. Also, the other side effects cease and things I haven't had for days will kick in, like my appetite and 8 hours of sleep.

I read somewhere that when adderal is stopped the body will overcompensate trying to restore itself. Which probably explains why my appetite goes through the roof; the food even tastes better. I'll also sleep like a bear in hibernation. Maybe this theory has the same application with hair loss, I'm not an expert but my hair returns to it's thick shaggy self within days and it is no coincidence to me since the adderall has exited my system 7+ days.

I'll break from my adderal again soon, maybe even stop all together (like the zoloft years ago). I put gel in my hair today and saw right down to my scalp on certain angles with bathroom lighting. I have enjoyed being able to concentrate, the metric ton of motivation to clean my house, and the attention to detail I never knew I had.

But I am coming around to the fact that my hair thinning, feeling socially awkward for no real reason, having zero creativity, and high heart beat is not for me. I'd rather have back my thick scalp, a high confidence level, knowing what great food tastes like,, and most importantly my sleep.

I was also looking online at the side effects of adderall and didn't find hair loss listed as one.

I've experienced most of the side effects and even emailed my doctor to see if anyone else has complained before.

I've been on adderall XR for 11 months and the hair loss didn't start till about a month ago.

Did anyone else experience seborrheic dermatitis along with the hair loss?

I've been reading all these post and I'm relieved to find that other people are having the same problems as me. hair loss in the shower, irritated scalp. I got tested for hyperthyroidism and low red blood cell count. Both tests came back fine.

has anyone been prescribed another pill that works as well as adderall XR and doesn't cause hair loss?

Hi, there is anyone taking adderall who hasn,t noticed hair loss or thinning hair? Thanks

Not if they are searching the web for "hair loss" + Adderall and coming here to complain about it.

Then again, my hair started thinning over a decade before I started Adderall. Sometimes it sucks to no longer be a teenager.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crzymarci@yahoo,com

• 1 month later...

adderall really works for me too, and as far as what my pdoc has said, he'd put me on concerta next, but that has a known side effect of hair loss.

i haven't gotten my blood work back yet, but i think it's the adderall and i'll probably ask my pdoc to stop it. as much as i love adderall, it was too coincidental that as soon as i started taking it i started losing too much hair.

now, my gyn said it could be stress on my body, especially my liver, caused by too much medication in my system demanding too many different things of my liver. so she wanted me to switch contraceptions from the pill (processed in the liver) to the ring (doesn't go through the liver), and ask my pdoc about getting off of risperdal, which messes with lactation. i got off of risperdal and the med i took to surpress lactation, the symmetrel, and take abilify now. so there are 2 less meds i take that go through my liver.

i don't know if i'm losing less hair. if i don't stop losing hair here soon and my blood work doesn't yield any answers, i'm going to stop adderall. as much as i love it, i love my hair more. i have such nice, thick hair, and i'm not going to lose it.

my uncle is a pharmacist and he said that hair loss isn't even a rare side effect for adderall so it can't be that, but it is just too coincidental. maybe my gyn is right and it is stress on my body/liver.

i think i'll know soon enough. when i know what it is for me, i'll let you know.

i just did a google on Telogen Effluvium, and they suggest doing a pull test to see if you have it- pick several spots on your scalp, and take an area with about 25-30 hairs, and do a sharp tug. you should get 2-3. if you get more like 5, then you could have it. look at the end. it should have a waxy shaft. if it doesn't, then it could be TE.

i just did a pull test on my hair and it doesn't look like TE.

that might be what she was talking about. i have another appointment with her on the 23rd. she ran a test on my prolactin (i was taking risperdal) and on my thyroid.

i asked on yahoo answers about adderall and hair loss, and a doctor said that none of his patients, including his son, have experienced hair loss due to adderall.

i was looking and it could be a hormonal imbalance as well, maybe because i was taking micronor (birth control that took away my periods) and risperdal (too much prolactin). i have no idea. i just want my hair to stop falling out!

Guest nicole ann

I’m a 22 yr. old college student and have been experiencing hair loss in the past 3 years. I used to have such long thick hair to the point where people would come up to me and ask me what I did to make it so shiny and fly-away free. But I also have a family history of alopecia areata on my mothers side and I experienced that when I was a sophomore in high school but I got cortisone shots in my scalp and used mane and tale and it made the two patches of hair that were bald grow back wonderfully. But recently, in the past three years of college, I have noticed increasing amounts of family members remarking on how thin my hair looks, especially at the front and at the crown of my head. I chalked if off as being genetic but it has gotten increasingly worse in the past 2 years. I’m not full blown bald by any means but my part is wide and I have found myself parting my hair and playing with it all the time to ensure that my friends or whoever is around me doesn’t see straight up scalp because its so embarrassing. Furthermore, I started taking Adderall when I was 17 and now I take 30 mg xr and I am starting to think that it’s the culprit. I have never ever before thought that Adderall could be the cause of my hair loss until about 15 minutes ago when I saw this forum but I literally don’t take any other medications that could have such a reaction. I'm almost never sick. I have a ridiculous immune system because I haven’t gotten sick in almost ten years (not even a cold or strep etc.--lived with a roommate who had the swine flu and she went untreated for a week and I didn’t even get it)--so that narrows it down to the only pill I take on a daily basis, Adderall. Either I have been having adverse reactions to the Adderall over the years or it has something to do with how poor my diet is when I’m on it because I pretty much take it everyday. I was thinking that the chain reaction from Adderall could also be the source of my hair los because it makes me smoke a lot of cigarettes and eat very little. I was also thinking that maybe it could be my alcohol consumption seeing that I’m a bartender but by no means do I drink excessively on a regular basis. I really am at a loss and once I googled hair loss and Adderall I saw this forum and felt I had nothing to lose by asking. I’m desperate for answers. I have very dark hair and its very noticeable and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I was thinking about getting my thyroid checked because in addition to all the stuff that has occurred I had also gotten my Gaul bladder removed about three years ago and have been unable to lose weight (my Gaul bladder removed also happened at the exact moment I started to take excessive amounts of Adderall for an extended period of time). And I know this is totally random and not related but I also just started to take birth control for the first time (seasonique) and I’ve read it caused hair problems so maybe that and Adderall coupled could be the issue. Anyone with help or answers or has experienced the same symptoms as me l please give me advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I totally feel you to, I started it and since Ive been on it Ive expierienced lots of thinning! Totally, Im going to a natural path and Im weening myself off the mediction. The benifits do not out way the cost!

Guest hairless

Do not listen to the Dr if he tells you adderall does not make your hair fall out. I have been on and off of adderal for several years and I notice a dramatic difference. I just stopped taking it because I know without a shadow of a doubt that it is from this drug. I love to be focused but I love my hair more. Try going off of it for a few months and you will see your hair come back. I eat a very healthy diet. Lots of organic fruits and veggies and everything is home cooked. I know mine is not diet related as some Dr may suggest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This topic has been eye opening. In highschool i was very popular, had tons of friends, pretty girlfriends, and probably way too much confidence. Once i got to college i got a new gf, prettier than ever, got real serious. School started getting harder and I was taking more adderall. I became an asshole and probably deserved it because adderall makes me one. Then we broke up and i started taking a lot of adderall to focus and on school and not her, then antidepressants when i wasnt needing to do anything and drinking on top of all of those to go to sleep because they all kept me awake. After we broke up I split away from my roommate and lived with this other guy who then started selling drugs and my anxiety went through the roof. Throughout these hard times I have experienced over the past 3 years I have had a lot of hair loss in the front of my head, zero self confidence, and feel socially awkward quite a bit. There has been so many changes in my life I have not known what has caused all these things to happen and so I have tried deleting some, mixing combos together to see what ultimately makes me happy and have confidence. These are all mental but I hope my hair will begin to grow again. My main question is that if I stop taking adderall will this reverse? I havent had a perscription in a few weeks and been without it and I just got another one yesterday and paid a lot of money for it but I'm thinking that maybe I should suffer the loss of money and get on with my life.

Your thoughts...

• 1 month later...

Adderall definitely makes your hair fall out. I've taking it twice in my life, both times about two years and both times I thought I was going bald. If you can help it, stop now while you still have hair left.

loon

I'm just coming to the realization that aderall has in fact caused hair loss for me too. I started taking aderall 30xr at school this past semester and noticed a definate thinning and hair loss at the crown of my hair line. This is abnormal to me because i was just 19 when this started to happen and i have very thick hair. I'm almost positive aderall caused my sudden hair loss.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am 27 years old, and my doctor put me on Adderall XR in July. For a month, I was on 15mg, and following that my doctor upped it to 30mg. I am taking the Barr variety. In that time, my hair has gotten very course, and also thinned out (hair strands are thicker, but fewer hairs). I've also had a problem where my scalp, and also on my chin under my beard, my hair gets itchy and scabby. I keep a good job about not scratching my scalp when it is itchy, and try to leave the scabs alone. My family typically keeps their hair vary well, so I don't think it is genetics. My hair used to be so thick (as in number of hairs) that I would have to have it thinned when I went to the barbers. Today, I visited my parents, who hadn't seen me in a month and a half, and they noticed how different my hair was. Due to how course it is now, it is hard to keep combed, because it just sticks up all over the place. I've been looking around, but not seen much information on this.

Archived