CrazyBoards.org

Research on anti-epeleptic drugs

AED malformation risk 'confined to valproate'

Source: Neurology 2005; 64: 1874-8

Assessing risks for congenital malformation associated with the use of different antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy, compared with untreated patients.

The increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) during pregnancy appears to be limited largely to valproate therapy, research suggests.

The results are based on one of the only large studies addressing this issue that has used an untreated group of epilepsy patients as the reference group, note M. Artama, from Tampere University Hospital in Finland, and collaborators.

Despite reporting that the "excess risk was confined to patients using valproate during pregnancy," Artama et al conclude: "The risk of congenital malformations should be considered in relation to different treatment alternatives in terms of their treatment efficacy and teratogenicity."

Posted: 28 June 2005

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read this somewhere else once, only the other place made it clear that some women don't respond to anything but Depakote and that uncontrolled seizures can be bad for the baby, too.

I would love to know what they were thinking when they left that out.

Unfortunately, if you read a lot of research, you will come to the conclusion that docs who do a lot of reasearch don't spend a lot of time thinking about their subjects as "real people"--at least that is the impression I have always gotten.

Sad--you want to grab them and say--"there's a human being here, folks!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, if you read a lot of research, you will come to the conclusion that docs who do a lot of reasearch don't spend a lot of time thinking about their subjects as "real people"--at least that is the impression I have always gotten.

Sad--you want to grab them and say--"there's a human being here, folks!!!!!!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know.

There was still no reason for them to leave out the part about uncontrolled seizures in pregnancy being bad, though. Unless it's an abstract and they assume that everyone already knows that.

Archived