CrazyBoards.org

While it is true that girls are underdiagnosed, the article is utter bullshit in its main premise - that autistic girls need boys to complete them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does it say that? I mean, they did kind of lump us all into the submissive category, but I don't remember anyone suggesting that.

By the way, the idea that just knowing the patient has autism can help the doctors treat her anorexia seems ridiculous to me. Like that tells them anything about what they can do.

While it is true that girls are underdiagnosed, the article is utter bullshit in its main premise - that autistic girls need boys to complete them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont understand where your read this either.  i even read the no picture version.

i must admit to keeping dossiers on people in an attempt to figure out some formula or algorithm to predict their behavior.  i can't make the math  be as ugly as human behavior.

i have some formulas for prdicting simple human behaviors that are fairly accurate but they relate mostly to actions that involve interctions with other objects moreso than interactions with other humans.  if they treated other humans with the care and cosnistancy they treat their objects they would be much more predictable and less ugly.

Anorexia and autism? Ridiculous.

Agreed.  Ridiculous.

Sure, the rigid thinking, obsessive compulsive tendencies, food sensitivities, and/or sensory issues that many autistics suffer from might contribute to anorexia ... but it seems a real stretch to equate that with "counting calories may be a manifestation of autism".  ::shaking my head::

As a matter of fact:

Autism spectrum disorders and low body weight: is there really a systematic association?

Bolte S, Ozkara N, Poustka F.

Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the relationship between autism spectrum disorders and low body weight.

METHOD: The effect of maladaptive social and communicative behavior as well as stereotyped features on the normative body mass index (BMI) was analyzed in 103 subjects with autism or Asperger syndrome. Statistics were controlled for medication, neurological signs, overactivity, and general intelligence.

RESULTS: Twenty-eight percent of the male individuals had a BMI in the fifth percentile or below. Except for hyperactive behavior, none of the predictors showed a significant association with BMI. None of the subjects met diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa.

DISCUSSION: Although low body weight is often present in male subjects with autism or Asperger syndrome, results indicate that this link is inconsistent and partly mediated by hyperactivity. The co-occurrence of autism spectrum disorders and anorexia nervosa is probably due to chance.

Int J Eat Disord. 2002 Apr;31(3):349-51.

This one seems to make sense:

Case study: anorexia nervosa and autistic disorder in an adolescent girl.

Fisman S, Steele M, Short J, Byrne T, Lavallee C.

Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Children's Hospital of Western Ontario, London, Canada.

The development of anorexia nervosa in a high-functioning, early adolescent, autistic female is described. This case raises the issue of co-occurrence of childhood-onset disorders sharing the phenomena of obsessions and compulsions. The role of dysregulation of the serotonergic neurotransmitter system as a common underlying mechanism in these disorders is suggested. Psychoactive agents affecting the serotonin system and in particular the atypical neuroleptic risperidone may be of value in these disorders. There is added benefit to the combined use of biological and behavioral therapies.

J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996 Jul;35(7):937-40.

I think it's really just a symptom of society as a whole. Like, don't ALL women need a man to complete them? That sort of attitude. Why should the attitude toward autistic girls be any different?  </penis-shredding feminazi wrath>

LOL

As the article is written for NTs one has to read it like an NT.

Sorry, this is the sort of stuff I tend to do after living so long in their world.

'He said studies, including one his team had carried out into women with anorexia who were also autistic, as well as his own clinical practice, had shown the gender difference.

He added: "Autism may be behind many cases of anorexia. A girl may be withdrawn and uncommunicative, without attracting attention, but when she develops a calorie fixation it becomes a serious problem.

"Counting calories may be a manifestation of autism.

"I've seen quite a number of cases where the anorexia has become completely entrenched because people haven't understood that underlying the eating disorder is autism." '

Now we play read like an NT.

The premise - autism leads to anorexia, a popular eating disorder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does it say that? I mean, they did kind of lump us all into the submissive category, but I don't remember anyone suggesting that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, this is the sort of stuff I tend to do after living so long in their world.

'He said studies, including one his team had carried out into women with anorexia who were also autistic, as well as his own clinical practice, had shown the gender difference.

He added: "Autism may be behind many cases of anorexia. A girl may be withdrawn and uncommunicative, without attracting attention, but when she develops a calorie fixation it becomes a serious problem.

"Counting calories may be a manifestation of autism.

"I've seen quite a number of cases where the anorexia has become completely entrenched because people haven't understood that underlying the eating disorder is autism." '

Now we play read like an NT.

The premise - autism leads to anorexia, a popular eating disorder.  What is a prime motivating drive behind such eating disorders?  An obscure desire for popularity, especially with members of one's prefered gender.

NTs can't come clean with such statements.  The unspoken and unwritten comprises so much of their communication style.  It's fill in the blanks in their world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first time I read it I got mad because of the way they made autism with no language delays, even, sound like a horrible tragedy. The second time I read it, I didn't even see that.

Right now, I think a much more likely NT reaction would be, "this makes my brain hurt," or "holy fucking shit" or "I...would...not have guessed that." Especially from the ones who think it's done just by insecure, er, non-self-actualized women who think no man will want them otherwise.

StrungOutOnLife

*who can't STAND pop psychology*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reading it as an NT (defined as non-autist) my interpretation was that:

"There's a false general assumption in the professional community as well as the public that girls don't get autism. But they do and, between gender-specific social expectations and failure to account for real gender differences in diagnosis, many girls with autism aren't identified as having a problem. However, if an autist chances to develop a fixation on calorie restriction, she's likely to be hauled off and treated as an anorexic. So, since a female autist may appear to be an anorexic it's likely that a number of cases of "anorexia" are actually misdiagnosed (and mis-treated) autism."

Turning it around - if autistic girls (HFA or Aspie) aren't seen as really having a problem unless they end up losing way too much weight, is it REALLY a problem if a boy is autistic and doesn't quite meet social expectations for his gender?

And I really, really didn't get that "girls need boys to complete them" bit.

Archived