CrazyBoards.org

Anyone ever get cocky?

I've had this chronic problem for awhile when it relates to bi-polar. Although i'm just about over it now [ as I recognize oncoming depressions ] it'll still get the best of me from time to time.

You see, I have to keep on a strict diet for my illness, or else all hell breaks loose. I shun white flour, sugar, chocolate, well basically anything altered by man. I'm suspecting hypoglycemia... What happens to me, is that say for a week or so I feel stable. I start getting cocky at times, and will slowly re-introduce caffeine or small amounts of sweets, thinking that I can get along fine now that I'm good 'n stable. I'll also push off aerobic exercise as well. 3 - 4 days later, POW! Kick in the ass. Disciplining myself against this can be so damn hard. My meds do work for me, but they're merely a crutch. I gotta work on my part as well. Does anyone else suffer from this same problem?

if i'm feeling bad, then i'll do all the things i know will help me get out of it, like the exercising and meditation stuff. that will definately help relieve a depression. but when i'm well and caught up in the hectic pace of life (which furthers our problems as bipolar people), i tend to neglect those things, and end up back where i was before.

the key for my wellness for me is making sure i take my meds, have enough contact with other people (i tend to be a hermit), and do my relaxation things. i need that time out for myself to balance.

sometimes, i do get cocky, and feel that i'll be fine without all of my safeguards. but when it comes down to it, how i feel is up to me, and only half way to do with the meds i take.

yep yep. this is at least my dozenth time quitting refined crap. sighs. hopefully it'll stick this time. if we ignore all the refined sugar i ate last week. sighs.

i am hypoglycemic although i think all my diabetic symptoms are more a result of being unable to cope with refined stuff than proper diabetes. nonetheless, even with a strict diet, i have a very fast metabolism and get horrible headaches and nausea if i go four hours without food. so maybe it is a bit my body and just mostly refined crap hates my body ;)

abi

Abifae: Check out both www.radiantrecovery.com and www.freedomyou.com VERY good reading, with life-changing results. I'm currently working on radiantrecovery, although I've done two juice fasts through the guidance of freedomyou.

I woke up very depressed this morning, and dosed with 1 mg Klonopin. My buddy Scott talked me into jogging [ went for almost 5 miles ] and I felt great afterwards. However, I slumped back down after a couple of hours or so. On a good note, my last new years was spent in the mental ward, so it's my 1 year hospital-free anniversary! [ Not that it hasn't still been hell ] Getting a good night's sleep tonight should help out quite a bit, but unfortunately it's New Years, there's a huge party goin' on, and I promised i'd be there for the ball-drop. Well, at least I know it'll be fun! I just have to try 'n not drink too much =/

I'm very thankful for this forum, and thankful for all you guys to talk with. You people aren't in this alone!!

Radiant Recovery did major, major good things to my life when I found it ten years ago. It gave me the first taste I could remember of normal mood. It didn't last - the diet isn't enough to control mood swings on its own - but it makes a noticeable difference when I can keep it going. Usually I just settle for eating very little sugar and enough protein.

hmm... i looked on the website a bit. i wasn't able to check even three boxes in their "are you sugar sensitive" and i have high seratonin AND endorphins. although i do keep a low sugar/high protein diet in general. still interesting to look through, in any case!

my main problem is when we get really stressed, we lose weight. when we lose weight, we crave sugar. we don't crave sugar when the body is at its healthy weight. sighs.

abi

Definitely "cocky" tonight! I went to a bigass new-years bash [ beer pong and all ] and got pretty bent.... not cocked, but bent. Anyways, I come home, and cut up some fresh pineapple. But, along with that pineapple, came apple and pecan pie; both loaded with sugar!! I want to quit drinking, but when you're 22, it's so damn hard!!! *swallows strattera* Well, at least I got a few kisses from sum fine looking ladies tonight!

If i'm ever gonna quit drinking, it's going to require more help than I can give myself!!

Guest Guest_spanophile_*

I don't necessarily get cocky but I do get this overwhelming feeling that I don't need anyone and that everyone else is the cause of my problems. It's usually around that time that I determine I don't need any medication. Thankfully I still take it because I remain somewhat lucid. I can control what I say and do at work although it just makes the mind racing and lack of concentration worse. With my friends and family it's a different matter. I told everyone on New Years Eve (I had people over) that if they got on my nerves I was going to chase them out of the house with a broom (where that came from I still don't know). They know about my craziness so they understand that most likely I will not chase them out of the house with a broom. I go to the pdoc tonight and I'm going to tell him I'm happy with the Lamictal bc I'm not depressed. I need something to take down the crazy energy bursts that are mostly negative.

Wow, for me whole wheat, white, any kind of flour.

Potato's, just as long the only source of them when I am coming unhinged, not following my meds, regimen, is not vodka.

Then I am having some very good months, and a very good year.

I really feel our worse damage is to be freakin drinkin, taking other drugs, that would not be those that are prescribed, and just eat the best we can, exercise, just keep on doing it, and doing it always.

Godspeed.

Happy 2007!

Following my diet has been going pretty well, although there are still times here 'n there when I do slip [ mostly at night, though ]. I still struggle with alcohol, I can't argue with that.... I am prescribed Klonopin, which I could use in substitute, but something always calls me to the Coors light =/ Any advice on stopping would be appreciated. Even when my mood is just fine, it's habitual for me to drink!

Following my diet has been going pretty well, although there are still times here 'n there when I do slip [ mostly at night, though ]. I still struggle with alcohol, I can't argue with that.... I am prescribed Klonopin, which I could use in substitute, but something always calls me to the Coors light =/ Any advice on stopping would be appreciated. Even when my mood is just fine, it's habitual for me to drink!

Problem #1 is that you're drinking Pferdpiss (Coors). =D I suggest at least trying "Augustinerbrau", available in hefeweizen (dark wheat) and pale ale styles. I think you can find it in most US states (I've had luck in MD and IN). I went to the monestary where it's made (near Munich and Stuttgart); the monks originally brewed it for Lent, where the more hardcore of them shun food on Fridays (or for all 40 days!), instead taking fluessiges Brot ("liquid bread", i.e., wheat beer).

..aaaaanyways, I'm finally gonna go back on topic... you might want to consider joining an addiction support group (such as AA, and may I also recommend the substance abuse subforum here on CB). Also, there is pharmacological (meds) intervention, some docs will rx you things to help out with the addiction (Antabuse/disulfram, naloxone, and buprenorphine being the most common). Respectively, Antabuse kills your tolerance for alcohol, causing you to get flushed, sweaty, and severely nauseous at the first drink. Naloxone is supposed to relieve cravings (but I think depression can be a side effect). Buprenorphrine is just weird, I'm not going into that here. But discuss these with your pdoc, and consider support groups.

That all coming from a former alcoholic who can now drink in moderation and knows not to do it every day. (Though I have what I call an addictive/anti-addictive personality, meaning I get easily addicted to anything, but if it's taken away from me, my addiction goes away with it). My alcohol addiction was taken away from my move from Maryland to Georgia, where I didn't have time to drink.

now where was I? topic?

oh yeah, cockiness

None of us here are cocky, it's just that the majority of the rest of the world consists of idiots...

Hahaha @ that... I'm actually an enormous Sam Adams fan; I have not found ONE flavor that I don't like!! The thing with Coors light is that I think it tastes pretty decent, and it doesn't cost a shitload like Sam duz... when I need a treat, I go for some Sam, or a Guinness Extra Stout.... mmmmmm.....

On a good note, I've moved all of my lamictal dosage to the morning, which has really been perkin' me up so far @ 200 mg. I may even consider upping it for a bit more energy. I was previously at 100 / 100, day and night. This change has actually curved some of my urge to drink, and I've been getting more shit done than usual. We'll see what happens as I adjust...

Archived