CrazyBoards.org

I have been traeted with depression for quite a while now with uneven results. The more I read about ADD the more I think maybe this is the issue, or at least part of it. So much of the symptoms seem like me. I'm afraid to approach my docs with this. What if it is and they don't want to look into it? What if I'm f'd up forever because I can't get anyone to listen? I guess that's why I came here. How do you test for ADD? How do you know for sure?

they came to their diagnosis with me in several ways. i took a self-reported "test" for the symptoms and their severity, my treatment team looked over their notes on me and knew from behavior they observed me having in their offices, and behavior that i showed during my hospitalizations. it was mainly me coming forward to say that i thought i had a problem, and them confirming it through having me take that inventory and assessing their documentation on my behavior from over the course of my treatment.

i'm sure all pdocs do it differently. i was afraid that no one would believe me too, but they had already noticed. they were of the opinon that if it didn't bother me in my life then it wasn't a problem to medicate, but when i told them it was a problem then i got adderall, which i've decided does help.

just tell them how you feel, and they'll probably have you take that survey for your symptoms and severity. then go from there. looking at that survey, you'll know right away if you have an ADD issue.

I struggled with this question a few years ago when, after a lifetime of moderate to severe depression, I was dx'ed with ADD without hyperactivity. My shrink answered my questions with his opinion that at my age (then 44) it was moot which came first, which caused more problems, etc. He believed that after so many years with un dx'ed ADD and the difficult adaptations made to live with my life circumstance (crappy), depression was the major player for my mal-adaptive view and that was the dx to focus on. Made sense to me. My depression is more stable lately but it's a bitch to manage, medically and emotionally. Big vacuum inside.

After thinking about it and observing my behavior another few years, I see where ADD and MDD are inextricably woven in the threads of who I am.

If I'm smart--sometimes--I focus on symptom management and not the chicken/egg debate, which is a timewasting mindfuck, but I still do it--a lot.

I think the younger you are the more pertinent the dx be as close to accurate as possible. If you are depressed because of ADD interference that seems more fixable and thereby you can exact more damage control in general over your lifetime and also mitigate depression.

You shouldn't be afraid to discuss anything with any doc but especially a pdoc. I know--perfect world scenario.

Good Luck.

S9

i

they came to their diagnosis with me in several ways. i took a self-reported "test" for the symptoms and their severity, my treatment team looked over their notes on me and knew from behavior they observed me having in their offices, and behavior that i showed during my hospitalizations. it was mainly me coming forward to say that i thought i had a problem, and them confirming it through having me take that inventory and assessing their documentation on my behavior from over the course of my treatment.

i'm sure all pdocs do it differently. i was afraid that no one would believe me too, but they had already noticed. they were of the opinon that if it didn't bother me in my life then it wasn't a problem to medicate, but when i told them it was a problem then i got adderall, which i've decided does help.

just tell them how you feel, and they'll probably have you take that survey for your symptoms and severity. then go from there. looking at that survey, you'll know right away if you have an ADD issue.

What test? Maybe I'll bring it up on Thursday. Thanks!

I struggled with this question a few years ago when, after a lifetime of moderate to severe depression, I was dx'ed with ADD without hyperactivity. My shrink answered my questions with his opinion that at my age (then 44) it was moot which came first, which caused more problems, etc. He believed that after so many years with un dx'ed ADD and the difficult adaptations made to live with my life circumstance (crappy), depression was the major player for my mal-adaptive view and that was the dx to focus on. Made sense to me. My depression is more stable lately but it's a bitch to manage, medically and emotionally. Big vacuum inside.

After thinking about it and observing my behavior another few years, I see where ADD and MDD are inextricably woven in the threads of who I am.

If I'm smart--sometimes--I focus on symptom management and not the chicken/egg debate, which is a timewasting mindfuck, but I still do it--a lot.

I think the younger you are the more pertinent the dx be as close to accurate as possible. If you are depressed because of ADD interference that seems more fixable and thereby you can exact more damage control in general over your lifetime and also mitigate depression.

You shouldn't be afraid to discuss anything with any doc but especially a pdoc. I know--perfect world scenario.

Good Luck.

S9

Thanks! I'm 42 and I know. I have been fumbling through the antidepressant world for awhile. My pdoc wants to keep plugging away at what I am beginning to believe is a waste of time. I'm losing hope that I will ever know what is really wrong with me. sigh....

Edited to close quote tag. 00T

lostdata-

i don't know if there's a name for it. he just whipped it out and asked me to do it while he went and talked to my tdoc about me (they work in the same clinic).

so i got adderall.

my pdoc said that adderall will have a slight uplifting affect on depressive symptoms, and for me to watch for manic upswings. so far so good. i feel fine.

i'd say that if you guys decide that you have ADD, treat it with meds if at all possible. adderall helps me to be a lot less flakey. i'm 28 and i've adapted to the world too, but it is so nice to not struggle. the adderall doesn't totally solve the problem, it just helps, but it is a good help.

i have inattentive ADD.

as for your antidepressents, have you and your pdoc looked at adding lamictal? it is a mood stabilizer that bipolars use, but depressed people use it too for its uplifting qualities. for me, it is in my opinion the most important med i take and if i could only have one, this would be the one.

when it comes to teling your pdoc anything about a problem, i say go for it. ADD is definitely a possibility and shouldnt be overlooked.

i was tested twice for adhd. the first time i was medicated (concerta) but not diagnosed. the second time i was diagnosed but not medicated. both times i took a test on the computer that tests attention and impulsivity. i think the test is called Conner's continuous Performance test. the doctor also had my mother rate my symptoms (i never rated my symptoms). with that and a good talk the diagnosis was added.

depression and add sometimes comorbids. sometimes one making the other worse. have you tried your share of Antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers? stimulants can help lift up your energy and cognitive but it doesnt really help with depressive symptoms.

I have been treated with depression for quite a while now with uneven results. The more I read about ADD the more I think maybe this is the issue, or at least part of it. So much of the symptoms seem like me.

The trick is that it's much harder to treat depression with undiagnosed comorbid conditions, if for no other reason than it leading to the patient failing to report some serious symptoms or side effects. Anxiety disorders, paranoia, and ADD, are probably among the worst - the anxious person can't talk about problems in front of the doctor, the paranoid won't, and the ADDer will be lucky to remember what he was going to say a day or two later.

I'm afraid to approach my docs with this. What if it is and they don't want to look into it? What if I'm f'd up forever because I can't get anyone to listen? I guess that's why I came here. How do you test for ADD? How do you know for sure?

Some psychiatrists do not believe in treating adult ADD (I know there's one in the area who won't even see the patients of colleagues he's covering for if they are on stimulants). But, it is a valid diagnosis, so if you have a doctor who won't listen to you and won't even consider the possibility, you need to find someone who will. A doctor that won't listen to a clinically depressed patient's symptoms/side effects complaints needs to slow down the booking schedule or get out of the business anyway.

For all you know, it might be something that can be ruled out, or just having a better grasp of your overall situation may lead to more effective treatment for your depression, or you could have moderate ADD - in which case treating it will probably still help untangle the depression problem.

Archived