CrazyBoards.org

Because of some wonderful people and a great therapist, my doc has been piecing together my illness. I go berserk in the morning with anxiety and a mixed state of hypomania, anxiety and suicidal depression and then sometimes calm down into a decent mood by nightime. The ad's all sent me flying and terrible se's. I tried lamictal and trileptal while on wellbutrin and didnt do so well and didnt make a full trial at all. Lithium made me real sick and depressed. Just finished a trial of prozac that almost killed me sunday. So the doc said maybe abilify will slow my brain down and stop the cycling and crazy anxiety and moderate depression. The side effects that people complain of are nothing compared to what I am used to so I am somewhat optimistic. I am just hoping to hear from anyone else who has used abilify and found it successful. I am running out of meds and just looking for some good stories for a change...thanks...steve....

Speedy, it may help you, that is, if it doesn't exacerbate your anxiety.  Some of us have had very bad experiences with Abilify and do better with a drug in that class that isn't as stimulating, like Zyprexa or Seroquel.  I couldn't handle Abilify and am now on Seroquel.  There are people who report being helped by Abilify, and this is one of those "you either love it or hate it" drugs.  Best of luck to you.

As a BP Abilify was too activating for me. Maybe if I had been in a very deep depression it may have acted differently, but it had me wanting to crawl out of my skin, and the klonopin didn't help this at all.

when I tried Abilify it was an experiemnt to see if I could change from Zyprexa. The experiment failed horribly. I am back on Zyprexa.

Erika

I like abilify so far. Its been over 6 weeks now. I am super ultra sensitive to meds, so, I get akathesia from it- which we counter with a beta blocker. I know, I know, its more meds, but My doc doesnt want to switch me again unless I have to. And neither do I. The alternatives are not weight neuteral.

Best of luck

For the most part abilify works pretty well for me.  However, I have had some "breakthrough" episodes when I'm pre-menstrual.  I take a very low dose (1/4 of a 5mg pill) along with the birth control pill.  The pill is as much for general hormone regulation as for birth control and it seems to make the abilify work better. 

The only time I notice the abilify not working as well is right before my period and I'm guessing there's some weird hormone dip that affects its potency.  I've been meaning to make an appointment with my ObGyn to talk about going on Seasonale so I only have 4 periods a year and less hormonal swings affecting the abilify.

However, for those 3 weeks out of the month when I'm not in some weird hormonal state, this is the best drug I've ever tried! 

Archived