CrazyBoards.org

klonopin and xanax?

Does anyone take xanax in addition to klonopin? I take .5 mg of klonopin 3 times per day. I take an occasional xanax for extra anxiety , even though I was told not to take both xanax and klonopin. Anyone?

Does anyone take xanax in addition to klonopin? I take .5 mg of klonopin 3 times per day. I take an occasional xanax for extra anxiety , even though I was told not to take both xanax and klonopin. Anyone?

Some people do this. In all honesty, i think its overkill, especially if its not prescribed for you to take it together.

If you want a long acting benzo where you can still use a short acting benzo for panic attacks or whatever, the following combinations are better and you should talk with your dr about them.

- klonopin + atvian (lorazepam)

- diazepam(valium) + atvian

- diazepam + xanax

Alternatively, an increased dose of klonopin might be better, say 1mg 2x per day or something.

Thanks! I've been trying really hard to take deep breaths and relax to make my panic attacks subside- one time it actually worked!But , really, it's hardto take deep breath when you can't breath. My pdoc is anti- benzo. she was trying to get me off klonopin, but the returning anxiety and panic attacks were just too much. so now I'm prescribed .5-3 times a day of klonopin, butI have a ton of xanax. I've been taking it lately , as I have had increased anxiety-probably due to increased stess in my life. Maybe I will speak to my pdoc about those combos. Thanks again,Melissa

I can relate to having panic attacks and being told to take deep breaths.  It is pretty hard to do.  I am glad that your pdoc did allow you to go back up on the Klonopin.  You should discuss a PRN to be used no more than once a day.  When I was on Klonopin, I used Ativan on an as needed basis.

Katie ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived