CrazyBoards.org

Getting impatient with Lexapro dose

I don't know what's going on with my Lexapro.  I took 2.5 mg for 10 days, upped to 5 because I thought 2.5 wouldn't do jack.  I've been on 5 for 2 weeks.  After about a week on five, I suddenly felt GOOD.  Normal, not euphoric.  That only lasted about three days.  Over the next week I noticed my mood slowly sliding down.  I would label myself mildly to moderately depressed at this time.

So my question is, do you think if I wait longer it will start kicking in again?  If so, how long should I wait?  Or maybe I should just consider increasing the dose now?  It seems like most people take at least 10mg. I'm getting meds from my internist, about to switch to a pdoc, and until then I'm on my own.

10 mgs/day is the standard dose for Lexapro. But since you are beginning to respond to the 5 mgs, you might want to wait another couple weeks before upping your dose to 10.

Keep in mind that antidepressants don't come on in a smooth curve with each day being a little better than the last. No. That would be too easy. I am generally all over the map in the first couple of months of a new antidepressant. One day I'm all happy dance it's working, and the next day I'll be back in the pits thinking nothing is ever going to work for me. So whether you're taking 5 or 10, you're going to have to give it some time to level out.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

Greeny

I doubt 5mg is going to be a theraputic dose. The recommended doses are 10 and 20. Starting at 5mg is a good way to ease into it as I did the same thing. I went 5 to 10 to 20 upping it each week. After a week and a half at 20 the depression started to lift and for me it was almost a steady curve with no high highs or low lows peaks and valley's. Everyone will have their own reaction. Lex seems to do the trick for me. I feel normal. Appetite is good. No weight gaining issues as of yet, occasional anorgasmia (it comes and goes), sleep is back to normal.

Ohhhh, man, that's encouraging.  10mg is certainly helping me at the six-week mark, but I'm not where I wanna be yet.  Might have to go to 20mg just to feel 'normal'.

Don't need lex to make me feel euphoric, or even happy.....I can take care of that on my own.......but 'normal'......oh, 'normal'.......oh the joy!  I cannot wait to be 'normal'!

Kinda like junior high........"I just wanna be like everyone else!!!!"

My experience was that lexapro was not fully effective until after 6 weeks.  About the 2 week mark, I had a teeth-grinding; zippy; unsettled feeling.  That calmed down after about a week or so.  I was on 20mg.  Give it time. 

Archived