CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
HaloGirl66

LUNESTA - News, Reviews and Questions

Lunesta Reviews - archived from the old board, add your reviews too!

Posted by: donnareed Posted on: Apr 8th, 2005, 3:48am

YAY

Lunesta came out yesterday.

(i dropped off my script back in february)

the pharmacy called to tell me it was in.

i jumped for joy!

the pharmacist also jumped for joy.  he wants to know ALL about my experiences with it.  (i wonder if he's an insomniac, or just a really good pharmacist.)

anyway.

it caused mild hallucinations.

no where near as bad as ambien.  just a few colors.  not like conversations with people who aren't there.

and, unlike ambien, it knocked me OUT and i stayed OUT.

my husband said the cat was walking back and forth across me, sat on my head, etc.  and i didn't stir at all.

not a whimper.

i think i actually slept in a rather log like manner, tee hee.

So, i just popped night number 2.

and i will let you know how it goes in another update tomorrow.

(of course, the real test is what happens on the 3rd night, which is when everything else has pooped out for me...)

night night

sweet dreams!

donna 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: sunshine Posted on: Apr 8th, 2005, 6:17pm

How did you feel in the morning? Were you able to get up and function at a reasonable hour?

Can't wait to hear more! 

Posted by: Spencer Posted on: Apr 11th, 2005, 6:34pm

I was going to ask you how your Lunesta worked. My doctor seems to think Seroquel is fine for sleep, but I'd like to be able to wake up in the morning. He doesn't think it would be powerful enough, and that's the same reason we didn't try Ambien.

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 13th, 2005, 9:50am

Thumbs down.

I tried it for 3 nights and I am now offically giving up.

It does get me to sleep fast, that is a plus, but I woke up after like 45 minutes and couldn't get back to sleep. Headache the next morning. And it still tastes like I am sucking on a penny. 

If only it would have lasted me the whole night then the eveything tasting like I was licking an airplane wouldn't be so bad.

And I was so excited too

Posted by: StrungOutOnLife Posted on: Apr 15th, 2005, 6:50pm

If Lunesta came out on April 13th, then what's the thing we have to wait until April 24th for? 

Posted by: Jnfr Posted on: Apr 16th, 2005, 3:04pm

Hi everyone--I'm new to the forum but not new to psychotropics---I too was so excited about Lunesta but I've tried it for three nights now without much success (had to take 2 3mg. tabs for about 6 hours of disjointed sleep but...I do have an ambien habit (20mg) for about 3 years so it could be some kind of rebound insomnia thingy with that plus a really good (I think) doc is taking me off doxepin and trying lexapro this week too (100 mg doxepin down from 150 and starting out for this first week with 5mg lex--so it's hard to tell--disappointed with the lunesta but I'll switch it around on different nights with the ambien and keep trying--nice to find a forum--Jennifer

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 16th, 2005, 10:08pm

on Apr 15th, 2005, 6:50pm, StrungOutOnLife wrote:If Lunesta came out on April 13th, then what's the thing we have to wait until April 24th for? 

I saw that commercial today, I am pretty sure they are talking about Lunesta, since it is the same pharmecutical company, buy I don't quite understand since you can get it now.

Posted by: StrungOutOnLife Posted on: Apr 17th, 2005, 4:27pm

on Apr 16th, 2005, 10:08pm, HaloGirl66 wrote:

I saw that commercial today, I am pretty sure they are talking about Lunesta, since it is the same pharmecutical company, buy I don't quite understand since you can get it now.

They do have something for restless leg syndrome, but they haven't even named it yet.

Quote:SEP-226330

Sepracor's SEP-226330 is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). Sepracor began a proof-of-concept study in support of SEP-226330 for the treatment of restless legs syndrome in the fourth quarter of 2004. This compound may have advantages over currently used dopamine agonists in the treatment of restless legs syndrome. This compound is also being evaluated as a potential novel mechanistic approach for the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)

According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), RLS is a common neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an urge to move when at rest in an effort to relieve these feelings. RLS sensations are often described by people as burning, creeping, tugging, or like insects crawling in the legs. Lying down and attempting to relax activates the symptoms. As a result, most people with RLS have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. If not treated, the condition may cause exhaustion and fatigue.

According to the NINDS, some researchers estimate that RLS affects as many as 12 million Americans. However, others estimate a higher occurance because RLS is thought to be underdiagnosed and, in some cases misdiagnosed. 

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 18th, 2005, 9:36am

But SEP-226330  is such a catchy name ;)

Thanks for the info S.O.O.L.

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 1:45am

I'm still awake. And it tastes like ass. Dime & Penny flavored ass. I've given it 8 nights, that is plenty long to try.

But you may have different results if your brain cooties are different that mine.

I'll just keep looking for the right one. 

Posted by: Jnfr Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 5:01am

Re-elaluating the Lunesta after 7 days--

milder than ambien--not a knock-down sleep onset but also more relaxing--I can actually "snooze" for a bit after waking up

Don't have "that" taste

Thinking this *may* work after all!

Lifetime chronic insomniac- with GAD sometimes accompanied by depression and panic attacks but doing stuff easily now with my new best friend, lexapro 

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 2:02pm

on Apr 22nd, 2005, 5:01am, Jnfr wrote:Re-elaluating the Lunesta after 7 days--

milder than ambien--not a knock-down sleep onset but also more relaxing--I can actually "snooze" for a bit after waking up

Don't have "that" taste

Thinking this *may* work after all!

Lifetime chronic insomniac- with GAD sometimes accompanied by depression and panic attacks but doing stuff easily now with my new best friend, lexapro 

Good to hear that it works for someone 

Posted by: ethereal Posted on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:21am

Quote:milder than ambien--not a knock-down sleep onset 

Darn. I so love the nightly smack down. (Actually, I do. Since it's apparently taken me 1-4 hrs to fall asleep--almost from birth--the dropping dead asleep is so delightful and amazing.  ) 

Posted by: Meggie_28 Posted on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 4:10pm

Well, I tried lunesta (3mg) for the first time last night and it worked pretty well. I get up really early on weekdays though so we'll see if it still works alright tonight since I slept till 11:30 this morning.   

I just hope it will work as well as ambien does. I'm dissapointed to hear that it doesn't knock you out as quick as ambien does b/c I really love that about ambien. Anything is better than taking 6 benadryl to fall asleep every night though!

So far I haven't noticed a bad taste. I really hope I won't get that side effect. We'll see.

Take care all!

Posted by: Pope Plecosaur Posted on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 5:06pm

Day 1 - 3mg took 7 hours to fall asleep, slept 4 hours

Day 2 - 3mg took 2 hours to fall asleep, slept 6 hours

Day 3 - 6mg took 1 hour to fall asleep, slept 10 hours

Day 4 - 3mg took 1 hour to fall asleep, slept 3 hours

Always woke up with dry metallic taste in mouth, which did not happen to me on Ambien.  I also woke up feeling groggy each morning, which Ambien did not do to me.

Rating so far - D.

Ambien rating for comparision is C+/B-. 

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:08pm

More lunesta talk over on the misc. meds board

http://www.crazymeds.us/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB...eds;action=disp lay;num=1113770310;start=0#5 

Posted by: ethereal Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 3:36am

Quote:Always woke up with dry metallic taste in mouth, which did not happen to me on Ambien.  I also woke up feeling groggy each morning, which Ambien did not do to me. 

Huh. I'm not impressed, thus far. I think I'll just stick with my Ambien and guaranteed 4+ hrs. Is it really so bad to stay on it forever and ever? My T said she'd call my pdoc and lobby for an rx if he ever refuses (b/c I get really loopy when I sleep 2-3 hrs per night). 

Posted by: Meggie_28 Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 8:58am

Ok I think I did wake up with a metallic taste in my mouth. I think I've been able to get rid of it now by brushing my teeth, eating breakfast and drinking my morning diet coke. That sucks though!

Do you guys really think you can't build up a tolerance to this stuff? That's what they told me. I'm doing a study at my psych's office to compare lunesta to other sleeping aids that I've tried. So I use it for two weeks and then go back to see them. 

I have a half a bottle of ambien sitting here but I only take it occasionally b/c I don't want to build up a tolerance to it. So instead I stuff 5-6 benadryl or tylenol pm down my throat every night. I know lunesta has got to be better than doing that! 

I don't know.

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 9:31am

Meggie,

Using that much tylenol PM can be very bad for your liver - too much Acetaminophen. The ingredient in tylenol PM that makes you sleepy is Diphenhydramine HCl. Which is the exact same thing as Benadryl. So you are probably better off just sticking to Benadrl as your OTC sleep aid. 

Posted by: Meggie_28 Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 10:34am

on Apr 24th, 2005, 9:31am, HaloGirl66 wrote:Meggie,

Using that much tylenol PM can be very bad for your liver - too much Acetaminophen. The ingredient in tylenol PM that makes you sleepy is Diphenhydramine HCl. Which is the exact same thing as Benadryl. So you are probably better off just sticking to Benadrl as your OTC sleep aid. 

Yeah, I've actually stopped taking the tylenol pm. When I was taking it I would only take like 3 tylenol pm's and 3 benadryl's. Now I just use benadryl and simply sleep. I'm hoping that this lunesta will help me come off of that stuff though b/c I've been doing that for years and it's just gotten worse and worse!

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it!

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 9:15pm

on Apr 24th, 2005, 10:34am, Meggie_28 wrote:

Yeah, I've actually stopped taking the tylenol pm. When I was taking it I would only take like 3 tylenol pm's and 3 benadryl's. Now I just use benadryl and simply sleep. I'm hoping that this lunesta will help me come off of that stuff though b/c I've been doing that for years and it's just gotten worse and worse!

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it!

Good luck with the lunesta! 

Posted by: Meggie_28 Posted on: Apr 25th, 2005, 9:24am

I've had it with the lunesta! I can't stand the nasty taste!!! It's just so...ewww!   

by: HaloGirl66 Posted

Posted  on: Apr 25th, 2005, 9:49am

on Apr 25th, 2005, 9:24am, Meggie_28 wrote:I've had it with the lunesta! I can't stand the nasty taste!!! It's just so...ewww!   

Me too, it is quite afwul. I gave it 2 weeks and it never went away - blech.

Posted by: EricaMae Posted on: Apr 27th, 2005, 7:46am

Ohhhhhh  I took my first Lunesta last night and , sweet marvelous joy ... I SLEPT!!!

I can't tell you the last good night's sleep I had.  I haven't tasted any weird bad taste, I am just so excited to have slept !!!  YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

Ambien had worked well for me, but only lasted 3-4 hours and then I was wide awake wandering the house.  I have been so waiting for this Lunesta.  Let's hope the effects are more than just placebo, will keep you posted 

Posted by: Meggie_28 Posted on: Apr 27th, 2005, 11:02am

on Apr 27th, 2005, 7:46am, EricaMae wrote:Ohhhhhh  I took my first Lunesta last night and , sweet marvelous joy ... I SLEPT!!!

I can't tell you the last good night's sleep I had.  I haven't tasted any weird bad taste, I am just so excited to have slept !!!  YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

Ambien had worked well for me, but only lasted 3-4 hours and then I was wide awake wandering the house.  I have been so waiting for this Lunesta.  Let's hope the effects are more than just placebo, will keep you posted

I hope the lunesta works for you EricaMae!

I don't know what I'm going to do. I've quit taking the lunesta and I'm back to taking benadryl and simply sleep. I'm only taking like 3-4 of them though instead of 6.    Sometimes I'll take trazodone too but that doesn't seem to help just by itself.

I'm just afraid to start taking ambien everynight b/c I don't want it to lose it's effectiveness. I love my ambien and I don't want to end up losing it! Also, I don't want to run out too fast either b/c my dr. will only prescribe 15 pills at a time and they're so damn expensive! 

Posted by: zolofty Posted on: Apr 28th, 2005, 9:07am

Has anyone ever tried Zopiclone AND eszopiclone(Lunesta)  ? (Of course, not at the same time)

What differences did you note ?

I know only zopiclone. 

Posted by: Jnfr Posted on: Apr 28th, 2005, 9:41am

Yes--I tried zoplicone last year, I liked it well enough to re-order (wasn't too happy with ambien at that point) but they weren't selling it anymore--

if I remember, the sleep quality was the same and so far the lunesta isn't any longer-lasting for me--

no where near the 8 hours in the commercial--

this could be due to adjusting to lexapro for the last 2 weeks and gong off doxepin 

Posted by: PinkToo2grrl Posted on: Apr 28th, 2005, 12:34pm

OK, so I was especially jazzed last night, but sleep didn't kick in until 3 hours after taking 2mg of Lunesta last nite.  This is my second night on it, so it can't be a tolerance already.  I so hate this.  All I want to do is sleep.  please?  just a little bit? 

OK I finally did, and slept thru till 7am, which IS a tad on the miraculous, but that lying awake staring at the ceiling thing is enough to make me wanna stick a fork in my eye.  I quit doing coke for a reason (a million years ago), and THAT was the reason, come on now! 

Posted by: PinkToo2grrl Posted on: May 6th, 2005, 8:01am

I have been trying out lunesta this week, and I gotta tell you.  I think it may suck.  See it knocks me out alright, but it is apparently preventing some level of sleep that I desperately need to feel rested.  Because I haven

Edited by HaloGirl66

Lunesta update:

I quit it about a week ago. Overall, it didn't work any better/worse than Ambien. In fact, I ended up taking both for a couple of weeks because Lunesta didn't give me enough of an up-front knockout (though I do think it helped me stay asleep).

I didn't realize that I had the bad taste thing going on until I quit taking it. But I wouldn't call it a metallic taste. I really can't describe it other than to say it went away as soon as I stopped taking Lunesta. I've got dry-mouth problems with other meds, but I think Lunesta made it even worse.

The other thing I didn't like about it is that it stayed in my system too long and I was having a heck of a time getting up in the morning - even if I took it 8-9 hours before I had to get up.

I'm back to 15-20 mg of Ambien - which continues to work. Sometimes, anyway.

Boo,

~Sunshine

Tried one last night, however nothing happened (as usual) except I got dizzy when I stood up 3 hours later to get the last one just so I could sleep.  Not happy at all felt like total and complete shitty all day long.

Tried one last night, however nothing happened (as usual) except I got dizzy when I stood up 3 hours later to get the last one just so I could sleep.  Not happy at all felt like total and complete shitty all day long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you DC. Are you going to give it a 2nd night?

To do that I would have to get a full prescription the doc wrote me one but I don't want to spend 90 dollars if they don't work.  I guess I haven't decided yet.

If your pdoc is unwilling or unable to give you more samples, then have just a week's worth of the prescription filled (most pharmacies will do this). Then, if it's working for you, you can get the rest of the prescription.

I have not been really favorably impressed by Lunesta.  It keeps me asleep, but I need to fall asleep first.  That takes hours before I feel even a little sleepy.  I have been back on Restoril for a few days and that works much better.  I am wondering about taking Ambien again since I have had a vacation from it. 

Katie ;)

Ask your doctor if you can take both. I had the same problem. My pdok ok'd it - 3 mg Lunesta + 10 mg Ambien. I did that for 2-3 weeks before ditching the Lunesta altogether (overall, I think Ambien works better - for me, anyway).

So glad to see this thread.  I was just prescribed Lunesta today (finally, after months of telling my pdoc that benzos were no longer putting a dent in my insomnia).  I'll add my review once I have a few nights' experience under my belt.

I took Lunesta ( 3mg)  for the first time last night.

My problems include falling asleep and sleep maintenance.

This did not knock me out immediately, though nothing does. It seemed to take me a little bit longer to fall asleep than with Ambien.  About 20 or so minutes after I took it, I developed the horrible taste in my mouth. 10 hours later I still have that horrible taste in my mouth.

The good news though is I slept a full 8 hours without waking up once. (Better than Ambien).

The horrible taste may be a deal breaker. I think I may have to save this for when I'm truly desperate.

I LOOOOOOVE my zopiclone! Only 7,5 mg help you to sleep and feel so good just before to sleep!!! I even take if for PA, because it's the only med that helps a lot. And you can cut it like you want.

Really, w/o it, sometimes, I wonder what I would have done.

DP mom

I've been taking Lunesta for about 10 days. It's been wonderful. I can sleep! It takes me about an hour to go to sleep, but then I sleep, and I don't wake up for 6-7 hours. I don't even feel tired the next day.

I tried Ambien once--I had awful hallucinations, fell asleep, & then threw it up.

I was on amitriptyline, lorazepam, & effexor. I would get sleepy--but, had stopped sleeping. I couldn't concentrate, was sleepy all day, etc.

I do get an awful taste in my mouth from the Lunesta, but at least I'm sleeping.

I have been taking Ambien, but my insurance just ran out so I can't afford it. The pdoc gave me samples of Lunesta and Seroquel to try (since he didn't have Ambien samples). I took 3 mg of Lunesta last night and slept fine! It took a bit longer to fall asleep than with Ambien, but I slept for 6 hours straight, woke up and then slept a bit more. No hang-over feeling. From what everyone else had said, I expected my mouth to taste like I'd spent the night eating poo...but it really wasn't that bad. Just one night thus far, but as of right now, I like it.

Hi!

Ummmm. I recently got prescribed Lunesta 1mg at night, but I am scared to take it, because I really don't want that high that ambien causes. Does anyone know if it causes these things? If so is it better or worse then ambien?

I took it once. 3mg. OK sleep med, nothing special.

It made my grapenuts taste like they were laced with DDT.

Back to Ambien.

RJG--Well, everyone's different, but I certainly did not feel high after taking Lunesta. Even with Ambien, if I take it and go straight to bed, no problems.

To update, no "poop out" for me with the 3 mg of Lunesta yet. I've been taking it roughly every other night (with Ambien on the off nights--I'm working from samples), and the Ambien seems more effective that way too. I only have a few Lunesta left so tonight I'm trying Seroquel. (Yeah, my pdoc just gave me a handful of the samples he had.)

ETA: Well, Seroquel is NOT the med for me! It made me exhausted but antsy/restless/agitated. Not good....

Edited by ethereal

I had to kick and scream to get this med, and it didn't work for me at 2mg (which was prescribed.

Edited by moody421