CrazyBoards.org

Just saying hello

I'm Lisa, I'm new here, and I'm almost embarrassed to be posting about my little old issues after seeing what some of you deal with.  Mine seem so minor by comparison.

I'm 37, soon to be divorced mom of the busiest almost-3-year-old on the planet, attorney working outside her chosen profession and not loving it too much.  My soon-to-be-ex and I started talking about separating back in 2003, not too long after our son was born, but for financial reasons, he couldn't afford to move out.  I didn't want to push it, not wanting him in and out and in and out *just because* he was broke (because that's what would have happened if I'd pushed him out at the time), I told him I'd rather he get his shit together and then move out once and be done with it.  I didn't know it would take two years for that to happen (he finally moved out at the beginning of this month).  We still get along fairly well, but I had no idea how very stressful having him under my roof knowing he wanted out would be.  I saw a therapist a few times (until we changed insurance at work and she wasn't on my insurance anymore) to talk about stress and life management issues, and it seemed to help.  But on some level I guess I just buried the stress.  I found myself getting really, really upset about things that shouldn't be that big a deal, and as I saw my primary care doctor for minor things, she started to notice that my blood pressure was consistently up.  She was concerned enough that she started talking about medication for that, and I told her I thought it was all stress-related (I know, single soon-to-be-divorced mom of a preschooler, working full-time at a job she hates that pays crap with a hellish commute thrown in, what do I have to be stressed about? ;) ).  At that point, she suggested Wellbutrin to see if it helped with the stress and anxiety I was having.  So, no therapist right now, no pdoc, just the Wellbutrin.

And it's amazing, but I didn't realize just how much I wigged out about things until I stopped doing it.  I've only been on the Wellbutrin a week, but I already notice a difference in my stress level.  I didn't bat an eye when I found out I'd have to put in a new air conditioner to the tune of $2200 - a week ago, I'd have been grinding my teeth and learning new swear words and probably throwing (non-breakable) things.  So I feel better, which is good, and hopefully this is all it will take to keep the stress and my blood pressure at manageable levels.

Lisa

Welcome to the boards Lisa! I hope you find yourself comfortable here. Don't ever feel that your issues are not big enough to post here. We come in all shapes and sizes here and all are welcome.

I'm glad the Wellbutrin is helping you. A lot of us take it, myself included. Please feel free to come back at anytime.

Sondra

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Welcome Lisa!!!

Welbutrin did wonders for my frustration tolerance as well.  I am glad you've found something to help.  Stress and anxiety are ugly mosters.  Don't judge yourself for what have or have not  been through. pain is pain. pain is real, and it sucks.  Glad you're here.  Wish you well on your journey!

Pinky

Thanks, y'all!  :)   It's just funny, all my life I thought of myself as being so logical and practical and well-adjusted, like I could handle anything.  Apparently I can't, but at least I've figured out it's OK to need a little help.  I jump up to 300 mg of Wellbutrin tomorrow - I'm curious to see how that works out.  I've already lost a good bit of my appetite, on the higher dose I may just forget to eat altogether!  LOL  I've got enough weight to lose, though, that that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. ;)

Lisa

Archived