CrazyBoards.org

I've probably gone through all the horses on the merry-go-round (except benzos, my pdoc is against them) to deal wtih the anxiety stuff that goes with myBP. My pdoc now wants me to try Gabatrl. I'm scared! I've searched the internet and can't find much info on GAbatril for this purpose! Any info or better yet, personal experiences?

I've probably gone through all the horses on the merry-go-round (except benzos, my pdoc is against them) to deal wtih the anxiety stuff that goes with myBP. My pdoc now wants me to try Gabatrl. I'm scared! I've searched the internet and can't find much info on GAbatril for this purpose! Any info or better yet, personal experiences?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is an abstract of a review of studies on the use Gabitril in anxiety disorders. In case you happen to be really tired by the time you get to this, it's vigabatrin (Sabril) that's associated with, "benzodiazepine-like effects on the activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis," not tiagabine (Gabitril). Looking at the abstract more closely, I noticed there was a link to a free full text article, which has that same abstract written in both English and French.

Unlike this study, vigabatrin is currently not available in America, according to this epilepsy.com page. Apparently, the FDA has a problem with a drug whose users face a greater than or equal to 25% chance of getting retinal damage from taking it. I was going to say you could only get it in Canada based on this Medline page, but then I found this South African PI sheet for Sabril.

Interestingly enough, when I Googled tiagabine, the third entry was from panicdisorder.about.com. A search for "tiagabine" and "panic" turned up 920 hits.

Here is a link to the official Gabitril page. The PI sheet is under "Prescribing Information" on the left-hand side.

Enjoy.

Be sure to enter "gabitril," not "gabatril," unless you want nothing but forum posts and/or pages written in Spanish (Gabatril is the name it's sold under in Mexico).

Edit: Turns out there's a study on Gabitril and GAD under Off-Label Uses right on the Crazy Meds Gabitril page. My bad.

Spelling it right would help! Great save strungout!

I looked the stuff over and it seems less henious than before. It doesn't seem so bad, just slightly experimental still. But my pdoc seems to like it, and he knows best. I'll keep you posted.

I have tried Gabitril for my anxiety issues.  After a month on it, I stopped taking it because it did not do anything for my anxiety.  I currently take Xanax XR which is helpful.  The other benzos I have taken are Klonopin and Ativan.  SSRI's were ineffective for me.  I have also taken Buspar which was slightly helpful for a month.

Katie B)

Loon: maybe you already looked it up on the crazymeds board, but im willing to say that im one of these who are no fan of gabatril...it was scripted to me for anxiety & sleep problems (like, i had none in a week).  dont remember how  long id taken it before i realized that there must be a village somewhere thats lost its idiot--i couldent remember how to tie my shoes, i called p-doc ina blither & couldent remember why, & im sure that other things happened but i dont remember them now.

it took a few days as i remember to clear up--that was fun (not)

ymmv, but use caution

I've taken it, but beyond that, I don't remember much about it. I was really, really, really depressed at the time. Pdoc was grasping at straws. I think I was only taking 8 mg/day. It didn't help much, but I also don't remember anything bad about it.

Titrate slowly - especially if you're at risk for seizures. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it can cause seizures in certain people (even though it's an anticonvulsant).

Archived