My new roomate...

ChemistryExperiment

Okay, first off, I must admit, my new roomate is a sweet person! She's friendly, and nice....

Now... She goes to bed at 9pm. I don't get home until after then. If I make a SMALL noise in the room.. which is like... going to happen when bringing large amounts of school related stuff (all the crap I drag to school) in... sometimes shopping.... she GROWLS at me.... SERIOUSLY! GROWLS. I can't turn on MY light, thats not very bright, on MY side of the room, over MY bed... not even to study.... I STUDY ON MY BED!!!! Well, I USED To study on my bed. AND she wont let me play my music softly on my side of the room... when she has a Sleep Apnea Machine.. and a FREAKING LOUD FAN ON... its NNn NNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNN NNNNNNN.. and it drives me NUTS. I know I might be complaining over nothing... but geez... we aren't going to get along. I sleep in and she BANGS around..... doesn't care.... sometimes she even flicks the light on on me... I go to bed around 2... get up around 10.... except on tuesdays and some thursdays.... and lately I haven't been falling asleep until AFTER she's up and walking around. Is it too much to ask for a little silence? Because I've been manic the whole time we've been roomates... I haven't slept more than 3 hours... and they've all been after 6am.... she gets up LATEST 6am... and blah.

I just hope I get the other room! Which is still in the same room... but its like... in a really small room... with no door.... but its light is independant of the other part of the room!!!! AND pretty private too.... and I might get it! WEEEEEE!

i'm really shocked that they moved in someone new right away and didn't give you the option of either moving rooms or waiting awhile until you had a chance to heal a bit. i guess it depends on your school. my college would have given me my room as a single, for free, until the end of the year. but that is HC.

i had a roommate like that, and i ended up moving out on her. i couldn't take it anymore. once my bf (later husband) and i were lying, fully clothed, on TOP of my covers kissing, and she came in and had some kind of temper tantrum, as if we violated her sacred space or something! she was a weirdo. she made me look like the normal one.

do you have lounges? is studying in the lounge or going to the lounge after she wants to go to bed an option? how late is the library open? do you have another friend you can hang out with until your roommate goes to sleep?

all these options suck, but could help you make it until the end of the year.

if all else fails, tell res life that you can't live with her, and ask for a different room. at my college they would respect your request right away. i don't know about the rules and regulations of every school, but at HC you could pretty much live where you wanted. i had a single for 3 out of 4 years (and am paying for it dearly now with 40k in student loan debt)!

you could also play loud salsa music and insist that it is your right because it is your room too. keep the lights on, and hang up your newly-bought disco ball, and spray the room with the worst "air freshener" you can find. you can always be so obnoxious that you can make her move out! ;)

Hi,

I had 2 different roommates my freshman year. the first moved out to be a RA. and the other one at the end of the spring semester decided to announce her ED with very loud noises from our bathroom. (each room had its own bathroom).

after that, i said no way jose, and never had a roommate again.

my senior year i was living in a suite and i had a room all by myself but shared the bathroom with another chick. she was really cool and we became really close. but there is no way we could have lived in the same room because she was an early morning person, and i too, was a late night studier.

i agree with loon - talk to your RA or resident director and see if rooms can be changed.

good luck,

december

Have you tried talking to your roomie? I find it very hypocritical for her to be loud as hell when she has something to do but GROWLS (??) at you if you make noise. If she can't be considerate of you and your time then don't be considerate of her....just do what you need to do when you need to and let her deal w/ it. I do hope that you get the other room, it seems like it would help alot. Good luck with your nuisance.

If I make a SMALL noise in the room.. which is like... going to happen when bringing large amounts of school related stuff (all the crap I drag to school) in... sometimes shopping.... she GROWLS at me.... SERIOUSLY! GROWLS.

Invest in doggie biscuits

• 2 months later...

I lived in a halfway house last summer and had two roommates who stayed up past midnight and kept me awake. Then they wouldn't get up until late and would be pissed cuz I get up early and move around. They moved me to another house across the street and I had this one roommate who was a SPAZ. She's a meth addict and she is like on Mach TEN speed at all times. She would go IN an OUT, IN and OUT, IN and OUT every two minutes while I was trying to rest after work and before our meetings. My other roommate would stay up until one in the morning sitting in the bathroom sink (bathroom was in the bedroom, well not IN it but you know what I mean) plucking her fucking eyebrows for HOURS. I finally had a MAJOR manic episode after weeks of not sleeping and I had to just leave the halfway house even though I needed it for my recovery. I needed sleep and less chaos more than I needed that house.

Not saying you should leave college...but are there any other options for you for housing?

Hey...you could live with me, I have two bedrooms upstairs I don't even go into! LOL.

Archived