First Dr. Appt in 20 minutes

My therapist gave me the BDI-II and suggested I go talk to my doctor.  I know I have been depressed for about 5 years now and have not thought that it was anything more than the blues or just me maturing and getting a little more subdued.  I am anxious for sure and hope that I can find some kind of norm in my life again.  Been reading on the boards and checking things out.  This seems crazy to me, but I guess it's the right thing to do.

Guest Guest

Well, he put me on Effexor, 37.5 mg to start for the first week and 75 for the next three weeks.  The info about the discontinuation syndrome has me a little freaked out.  Anyone that can give me any experiences with it?

Is this the first antidepressant you've ever taken? Most doctors will try a straight SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like prozac, lexapro, or zoloft before trying a multiple one.

Did you go to your general practitioner? If so, I think we'd all strongly suggest you see a psychiatrist instead.

~Sunshine

Well, he put me on Effexor, 37.5 mg to start for the first week and 75 for the next three weeks.  The info about the discontinuation syndrome has me a little freaked out.  Anyone that can give me any experiences with it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops, that was me, forgot to log in.  I also realized that I am in the wrong forum with Effexor being what I was prescribed so I guess I am heading over to the other one.

Sunshine,

yes this is the first one.  He is a general doc, but a family friend also so I think I trust him.  My brother has been using him and he has GAD and a little depression and has had great success with him.  I asked him about Lexapro since my brother is on that and Buxpar and has had success, but he said something about lex having an effect with anxiety that might flatten me out on that end.  He wanted to use Effexor to add more energy.  I do see a GREAT therapist and will be talking to her about this too.

Please keep us updated on how the Efexor is working for you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Helena,

I actually just posted on the "Are we happy yet part 1" forum area because I was not really sure that Effexor fit here.  Head on over and take a look for an update.

Have a good day.

Archived