CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_bluebeard_*

"take as needed" ?

Guest Guest_bluebeard_*

similar to my other question do doctors give out benzos on a take as needed basis or when you are prescribed say 0.5 of klonopin can u stay on it for a prophylactic preventative reason

of course the thought of addiction is scary but if that addiction keeps u well or at least functioning then I say who cares

prehaps we are just naturally anxious people and we need more chemical help than others

You really need to ask the doctor in question who prescribed you it, only they would know how they intend to treat you. I imagine that to avoid dependency it would be prn as opposed to a daily dose. But this is the sort of thing you need to ask when you get the script.

Some people are prescribed once or twice a day and some prn. It really depends on the person and the need. Also on the past use of medications and any substance use.

Addiction is something to avoid because a goal is often to be on as little medication as possible. But, again, it depends on the situation. There are some people who take them daily and don't develop dependency and there are those who can't touch them at all.

I agree that sometimes it is the medication you need and if it makes you function, than that is what you need to do. A lot of times there are other options though, and that would be what to explore.

If you are unsure about when to take them or are taking them more often than you think you should, do talk to your doctor. You may need to make a med change or change the dosage or frequency of the medication.

I've taken clonazepam/klonopin before daily and it helped. Now I don't and it wouldn't be right for me. Depends on what is best for you.

Benzos can be wonderful meds, but they can bite. They provide immediate relief, but do nothing to improve the underlying problem. Becoming dependent/addicted isn't something to dismiss casually. It's nice to think "oh I'm addicted but that's ok because benzos work good for me". The danger is when they start to lose effectiveness, which necessitates increasing dosages. Ultimately you could end up requiring the med just to get bye, but not get sufficient relief.

A good pdoc should work to find other long term meds that will decrease the anxiety and normalize the brain, like SSRI's, SNRI's, AP's etc. Then you can decrease the benzos and save them for PRN use when really needed. Besides, why take any med when you don't need to?

a.m.