A generic B.A.?  You mean in Liberal Studies?

There is a series of books with titles such as Great Jobs for History Majors and others--- Great Jobs for ______ Majors

It sounds like your profession is a skilled profession that involves a lot of mental work (making decisions, organizing information, making judgment).

But most work that pays enough to make a living is not easy.

You work as an executive assistant right?  Here's a thought... don't memorize everything.

Helpful hints from an old pro: Use your computer for addresses, that's what it's for.  If you know *anything* about databases, build one. Put off the filing for certain times/days if you can (it's easier to file a lot of papers at once than a few at a time). Don't stress over the email, those messages aren't going anywhere...  Can't help you with the phone calls. All those forms and things you're stressing over now? In a few months, you won't give them a second thought because you'll *know* which form goes where and for what.  It's all about routine.  Any employer worth his/her salt will give you time to slide into your position, so really, give yourself that time.  As you go, make notes, then, when you get into it, do what I do, make a 'how to do this job' manual - for the next person. 'Cause I figure you don't wanna be there forever right? It also helps you remember more.

Hell, I've been working admin most of my working career, and I've noticed that a lot of people really make it too hard on themselves.  Don't worry about the little things, they'll take care of themselves. 

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying, it doesn't have to be *that* hard. 

I think on any job you should give it a month or so to see if it gets easier. If you have ADD or something, this may not be a good choice. I've always been in awe of the better administrative assistants, tho the bad ones would probably utilize their talents more efficiently as doorstops. Take what I say with a grain of salt as it's all from the outside. It seems to me that administrative assistants, if they are talented, can have a huge effect on the productivity of the people they work with and should be compensated accordingly. If you turn out to be good at it, I hope you take pride in your work. Also, if you are good at it, a lot of the people you work with may become your appreciative allies. For instance, if someone ever asked me who to hire for this kind of a position, I know immediately who I'd suggest they t ry to  get.

I've always been in awe of the better administrative assistants, tho the bad ones would probably utilize their talents more efficiently as doorstops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen... ;)   That's coming from someone who's had to clean up after so many messes I should be called The Housekeeper instead of an admin. :)  

Still devon, like I said before, don't become overwhelmed.  If you have a problem with multi-tasking... do one thing at a time.  Once you get into the routine, *then* you can multi-task.  I have a memory like a sieve... I can't remember anything that has to do with numbers (like addresses and phone numbers), but I take good notes, and I have killer skills on the computer.  Those are my saving graces.  Use whatever skills you have to make *your* job easier.  People think I'm efficient, but I'm pretty sure I'm just lazy.  I still get the job done though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I have a hard time at jobs too, but for some reason the more I have to do and the more there is a fire under my ass, the better I do things and become suddenly more efficient. what is up with that?

I too admire admins, having been one myself. But work is very hard for me too due to concentration and memory problems. it has been really hard.

I have been working in admin since I started working and it's tough. I agree with making notes and databases.  It helps me a lot and then I feel all special and look goo to others because it seems as if I'm organized, lol.  I've been a cleaneruper, nearly every time, and especially this time around.  And I'd never done any bookkeeping but got it through the temp office so was pretty much thrown into it. I love it!  BUT...only after I was able to make it my own, set up a schedule for myself, a plan, lists, a binder full of typed up procedures (most places don't have them for you I've found out), and just about anything I need to remember...I write down.  My memory is shot and my ability to multi-task isn't as it used to be, but at least it's still possible.

If it's too much after a month, I'd probably leave, but I know it's different for everyone.  Hopefully they're understanding that it's a new job, and give you a week or two to get the hang of things. 

I have a hard time at jobs too, but for some reason the more I have to do and the more there is a fire under my ass, the better I do things and become suddenly more efficient. what is up with that?

I too admire admins, having been one myself. But work is very hard for me too due to concentration and memory problems. it has been really hard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, folks, this is the first actual ADVICE I've seen about being mentally interesting including ADD and still being able to work, and at an admin job to boot. Here's my story.

When I'm asked a direct question, I freeze, mostly because I can't remember facts. I can remember the mood a person was in when I saw them yesterday, but not what they told me. After all, you can only take notes on so many things before you begin to look like a moron, writing down "it's Tuesday."

Also the modern work environment  is "underpay each employee, work her to death, then hire the next one cheaper" and "rapid change is inevitable, get used to it or die on the vine." I'm tired, poor, and droopy.

And I generally get fired when I work with negative people. I've been self-employed most of my life and found some very nice clients, but that luxury has about sputtered out (see above).

Did I mention that I'm 60 years old (almost 61) and got my first summer job in 1960? Yes, children, I've been in the work force for 45 years. Enough already. But my retirement fund is rapidly running out.

Catlady

I weigh myself down with sandbags to keep from floating away, but I cannot long believe that painting the sandbags in pretty colors is a reason for living.

--Me in 1984

Colors Gluebook: http://tinyurl.com/asgge

Alphabet Gluebook: http://tinyurl.com/82sv7

Archived