• Abilify raised my blood lipid levels
    • Abilify raised both my sugar and lipid levels
    • My levels are the same as before Abilify
    • I haven't had blood work done
  3. 3. My weight change

• Was rapid
    • Took place over a year
    • There was no weight change

Are the studies on abilify and weight too good to be true?

I am liking abilify, (only been a bit over a month on it) but zyprexa did a number on my weight and (more importantly) my blood sugar.

I am wondering how we CB people compare to clinical studies. (because, yanno, we're better than a double-blind study...)

Example of a study...

A comparison of weight change during treatment with olanzapine or aripiprazole: results from a randomized, double-blind study.

BACKGROUND: Weight gain is a side effect of therapy with many atypical antipsychotics and may have important clinical repercussions with respect to long-term health and treatment compliance. The primary objective of this double-blind study was to compare the safety and tolerability of aripiprazole and olanzapine in patients with schizophrenia as evidenced by the percentage of patients exhibiting significant weight gain. METHOD: This was a 26-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, active-controlled trial in patients with DSM-IV schizophrenia who were in acute relapse and required hospitalization. Significant weight gain was defined as a > or = 7% increase in body weight from baseline. Body weight, Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale, and Clinical Global Impressions-Improvement scale (CGI-I) assessments were performed at baseline and at regular intervals during the study. The study period was from April 2000 through June 2001. RESULTS: 317 patients were randomly assigned to aripiprazole (N = 156) or olanzapine (N = 161). Compared with those treated with aripiprazole, a greater proportion of patients treated with olanzapine exhibited clinically significant weight gain during the trial. By week 26, 37% of olanzapine-treated patients had experienced significant weight gain compared with 14% of aripiprazole-treated patients (p

study sounds good.

but...

but...

but...

I'm paranoid

I didn't notice any weight change nor did I have any blood work done. (specifically for that)

But I was only on it for 2 or 3 days because it dropped my seizure threshold.

It dropped my seizure threshold faster than any other AP/AAP I've ever been on.

• 6 months later...

Archived