CrazyBoards.org

Once a BP 1, always a BP 1?

I had a pdoc tell me (I switched docs, didn't like him at all) that once you are diagnosed as BP 1 you are always BP 1. He said this in response to my question about my official diagnosis. It has been in notes about me since god knows when that I rapid cycle, and for long time that I dissociate, and a host of other things in my history. He says even tho there are new types of bp now, they will never change my diagnosis.

Why the hell not? They changed my diagnosis before. I was borderline pd, ocd, panic disorder. ptsd...and who knows what else.

Anyone hear of this?

amers ;)

I think that once you have a major mania, like that goes beyond what is "safe" in your everyday functioning, to the point where is screws up your life and others either notice or are afraid of you, then that is BP1.

People are BP if they have only one depression and one mania in their lives. Even one hypomania and one depression meet the criteria. So if you've had a major mania, the kind screwing with your life, then that is BP1. If you had hypomania but your pdoc felt you were BP and  BP2 didn't exist at the time, then pdoc could reconsider the dx.

My old pdoc knew that I am BP1, and my new one hasn't seen the mania in full force yet, so he thinks it is BP2. I try to tell him that I get batshit crazy, but he doesn't seem to be educated enough on what exactly I'm talking about ;)

If one's initial diagnosis is correct, I am either perfectly fine but moody (pdoc at hospital A), or BPII (initial assessment at hospital B).  Come to think of it, BPII for life might not be so bad.  ;)   But my pdoc is now edging towards a BPI label, demonstrating that one pdoc, at least, isn't afraid of change. 

I would beg to differ with your pdoc, and I only speak from personal expericence.  I started out as classic BP1 severely depressed, then severely manic and was that way for *years*.  I didn't take meds for 15 years, and over the years, the flavor of my BP changed from classic BP to rapid cycling, to NOS, to I *think* BP II... 

Anyway, I asked my last pdoc about this before I moved.  And *he* said, really, it's all the same disorder, no matter what the flavor.  Heck, no one has even slapped a label on me for *years* except BP...  I don't care, as long as they *listen* to me, and try to help.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I would have responded sooner, but my topic was moved and I couldn't find it. Given my medicated (I hate that excuse/reason) brain, I am unable to find many of my topics and if I forget to hit track this topic, I'm shit out of luck.

Anywho...After posting my original post...I went and again did some research on BP and found out what the differences supposedly were. Yes, I guess I can see why they classified me as BP1. No one told me at the time it was BP1, only that I was BP. After years of Lithium and Prozac (among others) I became rapid cycling. I've heard this combo can really bring rap cycl on or even cause it. Anyway, No one ever mentioned there was a different BP for that either.

It wasn't until my bf and gf were diagnosed BP that she discovered the differentiations in diagnoses. And then, I asked my doctor. My diagnoses of BP1 being the "most serious" according to what I've read could be why I got disability. Who knows.

I guess I don't really care either, as long as I get the right meds...but I was curious to see if anyone else got this from their pdoc.

Thanks again!

amers

Archived