CrazyBoards.org

Benzos and Memory

Hey All,

I've been taking benzos for awhile, Ativan 0.5-1mg for sleep and never had any side effects that I could tell.

I've had increased problems recently and was put on Serax 15mg for nighttime and that lasted a week, now I'm on Ativan 1mg 3x daily.  I'm also taking Gravol because I'm trying to combat some of the withdrawal effects I'm experiencing from coming off Effexor.

My question is, I find my memory is kinda shot.  I don't feel very sedated or anything even, but I find that I'll try to remember what I did earlier or specifically what medicines I have already taken, and it's a bit of a challenge.  Could this be from the benzos?

Ummmm Yeah, short term memory loss is awful for me. Im trying to come off the benzo's now. I can't rememeber if I took a pill, if I fed the dog five minutes ago or just thought about it, if I folded the laundry or not.... really stupid stuff.

Thanks everyone for their replies ;) The benzos are definately affecting my memory, I just realized I haven't taken my birth control in 3 days! oops! And i never forget that.  So, I guess if I want to keep taking my benzo I better start putting post-its up all over the place or something to help me remember to do what i need to do

Ditto on the great big DUH! I missed 2 bc pills in one week resulting in a period that has lasted 8days so far. Damnit! My pdoc gave me a pill-organizer with 7 days, and 5or 6 sections per day. I think I will have to start using it as I am going out of my mind right now with agitation and I think it is because I forgot my seroquel-OOPS! shootmenow-mel ;)

Benzos do mess up your short term memory for me klonpin has been worse than Valium but I no longer take valium.

I also recommend a pill container, one for each day of the week and several compartments depending on how may pills you take or what time of day you take them. There have been too many times that the only way I know if I have taken my meds at a certain time of day is whether the particular compartment is empty. I sit down once a week and refill the containers. At one time I was on so many medications that I had to take at several different times of the day that I had to buy a watch with ten alarms that also scrolled a message at each alarm indicating what med I was supposed to take at that time.

Before I see my pdoc I also always have to count out all my meds before hand and right down when I am going to run out so I know whether I will need a refill before my next appointment. What is sad is even though I count out the remaining pills I still often write down the wrong day when I will run out because of short term memory loss between the time I count the pills and the time I write it down. Sad but true.

Erika

Archived