CrazyBoards.org

Has BP killed my spark?

I'm failing at the last round of job interviews. I just don't seem to have the spark and drive that they're looking for, though I fit all the other criteria. I don't know if it's the meds or if it's the whole experience of the last two years has just beaten me down a little. Anyone else experienced this?

I think it can be a little of both. And certainly there can be some discouragement from going to interviews and not getting hired. There is some salesmanship involved in the process. Practice putting on a smile. Sit up straight and lean a little forward in the chair. Be sure you are making direct eye contact. You know you are good and can do the job. Walk in their front door like. It's putting on the game face for the Superbowl.

good luck!

a.m.

I'd have to be drinking on Ritalin to have any of my "pizzazz" back. These past 2-3 years have killed it. I am coming up on my hearing with the ALJ soon, so we will see if I am completely destroyed.

About the life insurance, I was able to get a policy 10 years ago and I think I am coming up on an increase due to age. But anyhow, there is a 2 year suicide clause so you have to hang in that long.

As far as being nice to yourself this weekend, go buy a book or a bunch of magazines you like and lay around and read them. Works for me.

Good luck and hang in there!!!!!!!

I'm failing at the last round of job interviews. I just don't seem to have the spark and drive that they're looking for, though I fit all the other criteria. I don't know if it's the meds or if it's the whole experience of the last two years has just beaten me down a little. Anyone else experienced this?

I definitely have experienced this. Some of my clients even noticed it and that was embarrassing. I just made excuses and changed the subject. But I feel a little more normal than I used to and am a lot more stable that what I used to be. I'm going on almost 2 years on the meds. I hate looking for a job more than anything else in the world, so my thoughts are with you as you go.

i feel like my meds make me "flat" in general and kill the charisma that used to set me apart. however, i can pump it up and get it back. i play music i love and dance around the house when i'm alone and no one can see what a crazy weirdo i am (haha), have a drink (ok, be good on meds), go for a nice drive (not after teh drink), and just do what makes me feel high naturally. some people get into running or exercise. maybe take up something that will give you that feeling.

you can't do it necessarily before a job interview, but you can practice "bringing back" that feeling. focus on that feeling and make the clenching, make the facial expressions, whatever it takes to "trick" yourself into believing you're in that moment. hear the music in your head. dance or whatever if you're in a position to. heck, i'll sit there and stare into space and just see myself doing it and hear the music in my head and i'm back there. get HYPED!!!

when you're in the hype mode, go to the interview, and sell, sell, sell. you know your accomplishments. know the numbers. know how much you improved situations. if you can't answer something off the bat, ask to come back to it. just keep your cool. interviewers are often nervous themselves. sometimes the boss says to some random employee "hey, do this interview now", and the employee has never interviewed anyone before and has to just do it. i've seen it at work. you may be dealing with an inexperienced interviewer or an experienced one. whatever. wow them with that charisma you just built up and the feelings you remember inside from your practice. WOW them!!!

go get 'em!!! i'm in cheerleader mode, cheering for you!

i have a recruiter friend who told me that on job boards, for every 2 help desk positions, there are about 200 help desk resumes. that doesn't mean that there aren't firms who watch the boards who don't post, or that there aren't duplicates. but consider your accomplishment that somehow, whether it is from boards or whereever, that you gte to the final interview stages at all. you must be good to do that! get hyped on that accomplishment and carry it over into your final interviews!!!

loon

Flip, flop, flip, flop. Officially laid off yesterday, so working notice period. Was supposed to have a follow on interview Monday, but it's been 'postponed', so read into that what you will. Second interview with another company on Tuesday, so that's good. Got a good presentation together and I'm pleased with it. Spent the day stuck in suicidal ideation, doing difficult stuff round the house, sorting out loose ends. Read into that what you will. Went to the gym, came back feel sort of 'hum, ho...'

Fucking illness, doesn't it just piss you off?

I'm kind of wondering if the job market where you live is a bit crappy. Here, the only employer within a 100 mile radius that hires people with my type of experience --- is my employer. So if I got laid off, I'd be SOL.

Anyways, don't blame it all on yourself. I don't think the BP and/or meds are making you lose 'spark'. My opinion that is.

• 1 month later...

Ah, we are in the same fraternity--I can't find a job, when I interview I am afriad to be too "up" (cause I am on Adderall) but lots of time I think I just come across as a loser. I sure have "lost"--or not gotten--a buttload of jobs since Sept.

The job market in this lovely tropical oasis sux big time--but I gotta think some of it is me. I feel like I have a sign on me. "Caution: Batshit person applying, makes stupid mistakes when stresssed. BEWARE!!"

Wish I could tell you it will get better--but for me, its getting dangerously close to disaster--no money to pay rent next month at all, just on hubby's salary.

I have never had a problem getting a job in my life--until now. I gotta thinnk that something about me, plus the job market, is equalling up to non-employment. Wish I knew a quick answer for you-- just know there is someone else who is in the same boat--

china

I have had several friends in their 30's and 40's try to get jobs. Nobody will even call them back. My son's friend recently came back to town and had a job within 2 weeks. He applied at some of the same places as the "elderly" types. The difference? He is 20.

I guess employers figure if they get em young they can get away with more shit.

I can very much relate to you situation. I've been out of a regular job since last June. I did get hired at Dillard's but they're desperate for people. Try there. I - of course - threw that job away for some who knows why reason.

Anyway, back to you. Yeah, been there, done that. Seems like no matter what I did or said, I knew they weren't going to hire me as soon as I walked out the door, even though I was qualified. WTF? Like chinacat said:

I feel like I have a sign on me. "Caution: Batshit person applying, makes stupid mistakes when stressed. BEWARE!!"

Been where you are with the ideation too. Don't know if it helps to know that, but thought I would let you know anyway.

i hope you receive that offer, UR. sometimes it seems like we are afloat in offers, and sometimes there is this drought (kind of like attention from would-be lovers, huh? ;) ).

i'm on SSDI now in part because of my very erratic job history. go get 'em, and keep your mood up so you can stay productive and keep your job! those probation periods are stressful hell.

WOOT, WOOT, FUCKING WOOT!!!! I have a job offer! More lucrative than the old one (by a SIGNIFICANT amount), albeit higher risk. Need to agree the first 6 months bonus package, as the offer letter is different to what we discussed, but WTF. Bring on the stress, I'm ready to take it head on!

Archived