CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Erika78750

Dissociative Identity Disorder

I found that I actually do have some of these signs. I'll list the ones that apply to me and then I'll post the link for the entire page so you can go read it.

Missing part of a conversation

Not sure whether one has done

Edited by Erika78750

I found that I actually do have some of these signs. I'll list the ones that apply to me and then I'll post the link for the entire page so you can go read it.

Not sure whether one has done

I would usually have these episodes concurrent w/ panic and anxiety attacks. I'd also get them when I tried to concentrate intensely like when I played music in a band. Other times I would get this when I was driving and mentally blank out. Some psychic types term this astral projection but it's simply a dissociative episode.

Dissocaiting while driving is actually a very common expreince which happens to people without any type of dissoacitaive Dxs. If I remember correctly from Driver's Ed. I think the term is called vehicularization. It is common on long trips on the interstate when your mind starts to wonder. It is also common when one drives the same route everyday, say to and from work. You end up in your driveway/at your house safe and sound you just don't remember what occured getting there. Nevertheless, while "disengaged" you manage to arrive safely, not running any stop signs or red lights, etc.

Erika

*edited to fix typos and to replace words so that now the above post might make more sense. Sorry folks.

Edited by Erika

Not sure whether one has done  something or only thought about it

Staring into space

Talking out loud to oneself when alone

Finding evidence of having done things one can't remember doing

Not sure if remembered event happened or was a dream

Driving a car and realizing one doesn't remember part of the trip

Hearing voices inside one's head

http://www.rossinst.com/des.htm

here is the link for you to go read. I hope this helps. A little freaky but I thought that it belonged here. Seems that I have more problems than I thought lol.

Tell me what you think about it.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of these "signs" are normal behaviors, it isn't necessarily indicative of DID or any other disorder.  It's when these things happen frequently that there is a problem, and especially when discrete alters can be identified.

There are other forms of dissosociation besides blanking out, or becoming someone else, there is also depersonalization when one feels that they exist outside themselves.  This would happen more than a couple times in one's life in order for it to be considered a problem.

I agree lore. Sometimes reading a list of effects/symptoms is not the best way to go about Dx one's self. I have often dissociated, experienced depersonalization and derealization but I in no way have a DID Dx. Also some of the symptoms on the list may be side effects of some meds, perfectly normal experiences (as you mentioned), may come on at times of stress, may be related to depression, the list could go on. A true DID disorder is more than just having a few symptoms every once in a while.

the other Erika

*edited for typos, etc.

Edited by Erika

For Erika and Lore. I have these things happen to me daily and they have for years, that's why it was such a freaky thing for me to see it on a symptoms list. I thought it was all normal. I agree that some of it is probably made worse by my medications but it was still there before the medications.

example, yesterday I came home to find out that the TV show bigbrother 6 was on. It was the first show of the new season. I had been waiting for the show for awhile now. So I sat down with my boyfriend to watch it. Each time they have a show they will kick someone off on the next show, hard for me to explain. Anyway I thought in my mind that we had watched bigbrother the night before and we were going to watch it again (to see who gets kicked off). I absolutly could not remember watching it last night, this discussion was only about 1 - 2 hours after we watched it.

Erika

Edited by Erika78750

Mulitple Perosnality Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder

"The following are common symptoms of MPD. However, as previously cautioned, many people who do not have MPD may experience some of these symptoms. (Most people with MPD experience most of these symptoms.) Therefore, only a psychotherapist with considerable experience with clients with MPD should make a diagnosis."

DID/MPD symptoms as opposed to the Dissociative Experience Scale that was mentioned above. The DES scale can be used as a diagnostic tool, however, many of the dissociative symptoms in the scale can be common experiences that all people can experience.

Edited by Erika

I think i may suffer this disorder to,the only way i can describe it is a feeling when under stress of being lossed in my thoughts but can still manage to carry on with what i,m doing unconsiously,it,s only when someone calls me a few times i snap out of it and wonder what was they talking about.I often do this at work and more so driving i often get home and not remember the journey,and think whats going on.I seem to shut down and go in side myself at times to,it,s as if i have no emotion,i can,t hear and i,m not thinking of anything and often just sit and stare at the tv.The strange thing is after i come out of all these trance like states i know what has just happened but have no control over it when it,s happeneing if you understand what i mean.  hc

I've had Dissociative attributes but they seem to have been part of my Bipolar I disorder. Do you all think it can be a "part" of another disorder? Thanks!

I've had Dissociative attributes but they seem to have been part of my Bipolar I disorder. Do you all think it can be a "part" of another disorder? Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just reading about borderline personality disorder today, and recall reading that it's very similar to bipolar disorder, and also that dissociating is a symptom of it.

But other than that... dissociating is a symptom for a slew of different disorders.