CrazyBoards.org

Kicking a meth habit can be tough cold turkey, but there are some other options that you should look into. Prescription drugs like antipsychotics, antdepressants, and moodstabilizers have been show to help people getting off of it for good. Meth really fucks with your brain, so the meds help to reverse the effect of this. You should visit your family doctor and ask him about this.

Jacomus

prior to his death my dad had legal problems...

i got a call at work one day telling me to come pick up my younger sibs at child services. i got custody of them because the police had raided my dad's house and found a meth lab (i did not know about said meth lab or i would have gotten the kids out). he was facing some major jail time.

meth addiction, as i'm sure you know, messes with the pleasure hormones in your brain and the receptors that release those hormones, so you are depleted of those hormones without the drug to release them. after awhile, you cannot release them on your own, hence one reason for the addiction.

i hope you look into medical solutions, and have a strong support network of people who love you and care about you. quitting won't be easy. you know that already.

keep up the fight and you'll win. my dad was clean for 6 months prior to his suicide. you can do it too!

• 3 weeks later...

theres a few things that really help getting over meth addiction. the nutritional deficiencies that just floor your body leave you fatigued and smashed up and impair your brain's dopaminergic systems. I had a pretty bad relapse on meth last year, I was up for over a week with zero sleep and ended up totally psychotic and had to get pulled out of my house by the provincial cops. It was messy. I wasn't right for months. Some B12 injections and megadosing Vitamin C and B3 for about a month helped alot - but sadly it wasn't until August (from Feb.) that I did it! Until then I was fatigued all the time, hearing voices and totally unable to concentrate. And having cravings and feeling just anhedonic as crap. A diet high in iron (not supplementation) can really help as well. There has been alot of success with using Wellbutrin to lessen meth cravings. I know it helped me a fair bit when I was getting over my serious Ketamine addiction. Chronic Ketamine use hits dopamine receptors really hard, just like meth.

It takes about a year to get over "post acute withdrawal syndrome" no matter what you do, but eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise can really reduce the positive symptoms.

I hear ya' on the "Afraid but secretly hope" thing. When ever I stop drugs that is it right on the head. Occupy yourself, don't know what would be on the same level as Meth so that is a dumb suggestion, but it's all I got.

Stick around here. If it's your bag, hit up a meeting. At least you'll find sober people there. People WANT to do drugs and just can't. Think of yourself as one of those. Like if you do it again you'll die.

I'm sending you brain waves of support.

• 2 months later...

This being my first post I just want to say hello to all of you. With that being said, is there any way to overcome cravings to meth??? I have been off and on drugs since I was 12 ( I am now 32) with my last love being meth. I smoked it day and night for a little over 2 years and have been offically off of it with no relapse since the end of March 06 (I stopped cold turkey) However, almost every damn day I have cravings at one point or another. Hell, it even invades my sleeping state. If I'm not having dreams about brutally killing someone, I"m dreaming about getting piles and piles of meth and smoking myself silly. I don't know if this matters or not, but when I ceased using this drug, I was going through a little over an 8 ball a day by myself. I have tried antidepressants, the latest being Cymbalta, which is a truly crappy drug, at least for me, but nothing has worked. There are days when I sit and fantasize about walking around this ghetto apartment complex I live in until I find some no matter the financial cost or worries over my own personal safety. What the hell????? In case you all can't tell by these inane ramblings, I feel like I'm going just a tad bit insane. Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-3928-1179952112_thumb.jpg

I got bit by the other white powder right after high school.

At this point I assume you've at least tried 12 step groups of some kind. If not, there is no harm in trying it. Ever try huffing the nitrous oxide off the top of a can of Ready Whip? Ever try drinking Robitussin DXM? Nutmeg? Morning Glory Seeds? Pretty much anything at least once? You might as well try going to a damn meeting. Unlike a bunch of other stuff you probably tried, it absolutely no chance of it killing you. That said, while I personally found NA quite a bit less annoying than AA, it's still not my bag. It does help a lot of people and is worth a try, IMHO.

There are a variety of secular groups out there. I'm an atheist and have a lot of problems with the higher power stuff in 12-step groups so I'm real sympathetic when people try NA and AA and just can't hang with it. If there is a Unitarian Universalist fellowship in your area, that would be a good place to check for information. They often host stuff like that.

I tried to list a variety of alternative resources in the crazystore addiction section. You might want to take a look and see if anything there jumps out at you. I'll add a bit more when I'm done with this. There's one meth-specific title there.

I would say that you're not going insane, except that you sorta are. You altered your brain chemistry and fried a lot of dopamine receptors. It's going to take time for things to get back to normal.

Omega-3 supplements a multivitamin with as much crap in it as possible and additional b-complex is probably the best you can do for now. Because I'm a whore, I feel compelled to point out all those are in the crazystore too. Try to keep a daily workout routine. Maybe try yoga or a martial art. Watch after you physical health an your mind will heal more quickly.

If you started getting fucked up when you were 12, one would think you were self-medicating for something or another. You have to get the diagnosis of that something right before you can find a medication that will scratch the same itch. ADD and bipolar are common culprits for that kind of thing.

I have never tried rehab or any 12 step program although I probably should. And your right, I do tend to substitute one thing for another to self medicate. The first drug I ever did was coke and I've been chasing one type of high or another for a little over 20 years for the pure and simple reason that I hate to be sober. I hate it with every fiber of my being. If I can't do illicit drugs, then I do prescription drugs, and if I can't get either of those, I drink. Every damn night I have at least 3-4 glasses of straight rum or scotch. But of all the crap I've ever done, meth was the one thing that made me feel like for once in my life everything was just dandy. Even though there were some lucid moments that I realized I hated the person I had become while I was on it, I just didn't give a shit.

As far as ever being diagnosed with anything, I never stuck with one doc long enough to get fully inside my fried brain. I've been told that I'm a sociopath, have antisocial tendencies, OCD blah, blah, blah. Okay, enough with the rambling. Bottom line is that I need to do something before I go even more bugshit crazy than I already have. Thanks for listening.

Wellbutrin is stimulating, FWIW.

ADD is actually treated with amphetamines. After self-medicating with street stimulants I ended up with a Dexedrine prescription. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Studies now indicate that someone with untreated ADD is much more likely to engage in substance abuse and is much less likely to relapse once properly treated.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456199

i feel like such a huge pile of shit and as hard as it is to admit it both publicly and to myself, i relapsed today after a little over a year of going without. how fucking pathetic can i get??????? how is it possible to even have a rational state of mind when in the midst of a meth whirlwind? one part of my drug soaked brain is literally kicking my stupid self in the ass for such an act of stupidity but the more dominant and meth induced state is saying "who really gives a flying fuck?" I can conquer the friggin world right now, who the hell needs sobriety??? being sober only allows everything i've tried to bury in the deep recesses of my mind come to life and to be quite honest, i not only can handle it but i sure as hell don't want to. i sure as hell don't have anyone to sit down and discuss this with, hell, my husband would literally shit the proverbial brick if he knew what i have done. oh fucking well. what's done is done. i'll either let this be the last time or a renewal of a long lost and passionate love affair with this damnable thing.

If you were trying to get the Cymbalta discontinuation effects to go away, don't beat yourself up too badly. Just don't do it again.

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

honestly i'm not sure if it was to get the cymbalta effects to go away or if it was just self medication. i suspect the latter. doesn't matter which one it was. i don't want to do it again, but am i strong enough to turn away from it should it be put in front of me again? anyway, i just came in from a night of playing pool, and drinking and i'm feeling pretty crappy in general. my intent is to take another seroquel (my third of the day) and maybe a loratab and go to bed. although somehow i doubt i'll be able to get any sleep.

Archived