CrazyBoards.org

Brief Reactive Mania/Mixed State?

There is something known in the DSM as "Brief Reactive Psychosis", which is where some degree of psychosis occurrs (their definition is two weeks max). "Reactive" meaning that it's in response to a severe stressor (and is often followed by PTSD, surprise).

I do wonder then, if there's such a thing called Brief Reactive Mania/Mixed State. Since that would explain what I had after I got fired by the University-that-shall-not-be-mentioned back in 11/2005... :trigger:cutting, alcoholism:trigger:, swearing like a sailorman, etc. etc. Stuff that nearly got me evicted from the house I lived in back then. It got better within less than 2 weeks.

A friend of mine had a similar experience, where she experienced severe anxiety and curled up in the fetal position, rocking, and alternately crying and screaming... for 2 days on end. She said that she had no hallucinations or delusions or any other psychotic symptoms. It cleared up on its own. Normally she's just sort of dysthymic (i.e., blue) and is considering an AD at this time.

Since I'm otherwise dysthymic+MDD with some episodes of silicovaginosis (and therein, a slight tendency towards Intermittent Explosive Disorder), I wonder if I truly I am bipolar as the doctors treat me as.

Again, just something to chew on. If others have had experiences like this as a "bipolar defining feature", I'd love to know.

WARNING- this is Loon's own idea and cannot be taken as anything else-

right after i found my dad dead, i had a period of time loss, followed quickly by mixed state psychosis. it was a mixed state because i had the hyper drive to get it all done, and the depression and bottomless sadness you feel when you find your dad dead on the floor. then the depths of psychosis and compulsions to commit suicide.

based on my experiences, i'm going to say yes, that can happen. it happened to me. i went into a mixed state psychosis. now, are you asking of a mixed/manic state causes psychosis, or the other way around? i don't know if psychosis just happens and then you have an episode. i think it always happens with the episode first, in my logic, no matter how slight the episode or how little you recognize it. you may be in such an early stage of the episode that you don't realize it and BANG, you're psychotic.

my psychosis is a bit more bitter and harsher too, but that is another story.

oh yes, and the question of your bipolarity- i think we all, including me, question our DX. it is a natural part of it. i think your pdoc is right. and treat to the symptoms. a good pdoc will do that, regardless of what official DX is presented to the insurance co.

You said "

A friend of mine had a similar experience, where she experienced severe anxiety and curled up in the fetal position, rocking, and alternately crying and screaming... for 2 days on end. She said that she had no hallucinations or delusions or any other psychotic symptoms"

This is me, but the symptoms continue, 2 weeks liater, I hae a total brak down today, No voices or seeing things, just getneral screaming for about an hour till I managed to get up and eat about 3 Klonopink then 2 ore a while later.

I could not lieave the house this AM--I would have killed someone.

The mixed states with teh ADD apparently caused my lapse of judgement and stupidity that got me fired, but it won't go away. Icannot take APP's of any sort--so whats left?

I cannot live like this for much longer. I would almost welcome seeing .hearing things, then people would be beioeve me

China

Archived