CrazyBoards.org

"Giving in" - the post title is in quotes for a reason.

[sidebar: I implied some of the following in another post somewhere here recently]

I'm giving in to pharmacotherapy for ADD-inattentive as much as I gave in to Cymbalta therapy for depression and Provigil therapy for staying awake at the right hours. Believe it or not, I was all Tom Cruise about medicating ADD, until the past few weeks, where I've come to revalations that I'm not even organized enough to get organized! Well okay, I knew that even way back when, but I didn't think about how badly it was affecting my life.

I just wasted $200 by missing one catalogue number on an ordering sheet at work. And no, the item's not returnable after I opened the box. Atop that, I can't even figure out how to get my apartment clean, and once I do figure out how to get the left front corner of the living room clean, I get tired of thinking of it and then indirectly cause an iron skillet to go flying at my (commercial-grade decibel) smoke alarm). There's a $19.99 mistake right there.

And don't even ask about what happens during my viral brain rot attacks. I can't tell my own arse from a hole in the ground during those.

My parents suggest the simple nonpharmacological solution of moving home.

Like that's going to work. Our bedrooms share a wall, and our circadian clocks are 4 hours separated. And that's when I go to bed early. Back in '05, there were a couple occasions where I ran into one of them going off to work just as I was going to bed. And Mom awakens at the tiniest noise. But anyways, that's out of the question, so enough of that.

I'm pushing AdderallXL or Concerta on the docs (in order of appointment, GP first, then Pdoc if necessary). I will subtly push them, somehow. If possible. I do believe that the GP will prescribe it without a problem, so having to go running to the Pdoc next week won't be necessary. The Pdoc is the one who's ridiculously conservative on my meds (he wouldn't renew my Klonopin scrip that my GP had given me after Lunesta left my budget). He said the Remeron itself would magically make me sleep sound (tried; it didn't).

Also, I'll just kick Provigil out of my cocktail for the time being. That is if I get a new stim. If they don't trust me, they can give me a one week scrip. Or just suck it. I hate to go doctor hopping, but that seems to be the only way to get around practitioners who care more about liability than they do their patients. [/cynicism]

You might want to consider going for focalin over concerta. They cut off the yucky half off the molecule. Also Dexedrine contains just one form of amphetamine whereas adderall contains several so if one of them causes a problem you can't know which one it is. You're four times more likely to have side effects from it than you are from Dexedrine because there are four times as many things in it.

i'm happy you're recognizing the need for medication. there are ADDers who can learn skills and get by without it, and there are those who just need meds. this year i stopped trying to just do it and i "gave in" to needing meds. there isn't shame or guilt in that, just the realization that all my notes and palm weren't going to make up for my weaknesses.

i see half of the game as being about my meds helping me, and the other half is me doing my "work". the palm is still out.

i personally like adderall xr. i take it at 30mg, the highest dose they're going to give you on XR.

i'm no pharma expert, you know that. i can't tell you why adderall is different from other drugs, you'll have to listen to others like VE for that info. i just know that for whatever reason, adderall hits something that helps me focus. i still need to do my share, but it is a lot better than being "alone".

one weirdo thing i used to do was forget my 4-digit pin to get money out of the bank. i'd literally forget it. it took me awhile, standing there and looking stupid, to remember it. duh!!! at least i haven't made huge financial mistakes, except in manias.

You might want to consider going for focalin over concerta. They cut off the yucky half off the molecule.

From what I've found putzing around online, Focalin also seems to be the drug of choice for inattentive ADDers like me. Also, the name bears a striking resemblance to the fictional drug "Focusyn", found on the TV show The Simpsons. They gave it to Bart, he went psychotic, and it turns out his bizarre psychotic delusions (involving Mark McGwire and a sattelite) came true. but yeah.

I'm going to go check if insurance covers it.

ou're four times more likely to have side effects from it than you are from Dexedrine because there are four times as many things in it.

Perhaps it's a good approximation, but I won't go all silicovaginal on here...

As per the modification in my sig, my GP gave me Focalin, except he gave me 2.5mg standard instead of 5mg XR, meaning I have to take it twice a day. Follow-up with the pdoc should fix this situation, providing he can get his head out of his arse (a common situation at Morgues, Caskets, and Graves).

Archived