CrazyBoards.org

The "oh shit, I gotta..."

[NOTE: if you read the topic name in the wrong order; visit an IBS/IBD forum]

At least for me, I think I know what order things fall in...

"oh shit, I need to put my prescription benefits card back in my wall... oh shit, I have to print out the explanation of benefits forms for my tax... OH SHIT, I forgot to cancel with that cell phone carrier I never used!!!!!"

Does this "oh shit", or noncolloquially, "panic model" something y'all experience?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Most recently it's been:

-Oh shit, I gotta order lunch for the meeting this afternoon. For the record, I had placed the order about 5 days in advance (go me), but I scheduled it for the wrong day (doh), so the day of the meeting, I had to re-order at the last minute.

-Oh shit, I forgot to get my brother a wedding present. I realized this at the wedding reception when I saw the table with all of the other gifts. I was so preoccupied with getting an appropriate dress, practicing the bible reading, remembering everything I needed to take with me out of town (stuff like makeup and fancy shoes and pantyhose that I don't normally use and therefore am especially likely to forget), that I forgot to get the wedding gift.

There have been several "Oh shit, I forgot to buy toilet paper again" and "oh shit, I still need to print out tax info" and "oh shit, I still need to make a deposit into my checking account" moments.

I was especially proud of myself this morning, though. I was running late and still remembered (without looking at my calendar) that I have a therapy appointment and a depression support group meeting after work today, and with the snow and traffic, I won't have time to stop home after therapy to change into comfy clothes and get the things I need for the support group, so I packed jeans and a shirt and other support group supplies in a bag and took the bag to work with me. How's that for thinking ahead? Ha!

I'm sure by lunch time I'll realize I forgot something else. ;)

Guest china

Yeah, I have that constantly, but the last 2 days, I have been multi-taskiing the "Oh, shits" and feeling hyper as hell. I am getting things done--thanks Aderall--and finished--but really, is cleaning the toaster out with a toothbrush the best use of my time???

I start something--usually--and the brain goes into high gear, and races off without me, and then I remember the 40 other things ISHOULD be doing (like finding a job) and all is a mess.

Don't know whats happened yesterday and today--just really jumpy and almost a little manic, and I do NOT like this at all. I am ususally a nicely deopressed ADD person who muddles along. I don't like this wierd person and wish she woulsd go away. Or learn to type faster, cause my brain is running faster that this--

ug--

china, who has a fancy new computer that CB no longer likes, apparently. So I am a "guest" or I can't reply to anyone. Good thing I'm not paranoid, too--

I start something--usually--and the brain goes into high gear, and races off without me, and then I remember the 40 other things ISHOULD be doing (like finding a job) and all is a mess.

Remember them, write them down, lose the piece of paper they're written down on. Works for me!

china, who has a fancy new computer that CB no longer likes, apparently. So I am a "guest" or I can't reply to anyone. Good thing I'm not paranoid, too--

Yeah, loks like some changes in the underlying javascript or whatever. I couldn't reply yesterday, but today I can.

::shrug::

oh shit, what about that tdoc appointment i'm supposed to be at now? what about that job interview that was really for yesterday that i went to today (uh oh), oh shit, what about this latest car accident? oh shit, those cats need to eat, don't they? and oh shit again, I need to eat too!

oh shit- why aren't they sending me medicaid cards when they should be, and i might have to buy my adderall? crap- where is my adderall script anyway? ;)

yes. a lot. it's the main way my bills get paid and (most) deadlines get met - that moment of "oh shit" just days or hours ahead.

to counteract this, i have a planner where i write everything. i have a tiny little notebook carried in my pocket, where things get written if i don't have my planner with me. i have stickies on my laptop and physical post-it notes of all shapes, sizes, and colors, mostly the extra sticky kind, papering every stickable surface. i write on my windows with sharpie. i have three white boards where i don't write with sharpie. i clear off my bulletin boards occasionally so i can see some of the things pinned to it for safekeeping (med scripts, documentation of an ongoing conflict with the postal service, half-envelope of stamps, my usb key, my menstrual cup -- and a shitload of random papers). it helps most of the time. i still sometimes find envelopes that should have been mailed in the fruit bowl or something, or my rent check written a week in advance still with me ten days late. i'm working on it.

shit. must email boss. see ya.

Found out today that I am a DREAM when it comes to being organized compared to my very ADD hubby--his idea is that if there is a flat space, it must have a lot of stuff on it, no order, just stuff. And when he runs out of flat spaces, he just adds more flat spaces. I cleaned out his "computer room" today--

2 dead computers

6 empty boxes (big ones)

1 dead printer

5 unused/dead keyboards

4 mice(computer kind)

more empty boxes

Tools which would never be used in the house (a really BIG drill, for instance)

papers, papers, and more papers

Clothes he says are in "transition"--not dirty or clean

2 "spare" or old lower leg prosthesis--he has a new one, but you never know when you might need parts

a million notes to himself on stickeys, most of which seem to prertain to computer games he plays

I did not attempt to organize anything--just got out the dead computers, boxes etc.

I feel incredibly better about my own ADD--

At least I can remember to take my phone with me 99% of the time--his is always at home, which makes it useless if I need to call him at work--

Sigh-- 2 ADD people should NOT marry each other.

china

Found out today that I am a DREAM when it comes to being organized compared to my very ADD hubby--his idea is that if there is a flat space, it must have a lot of stuff on it, no order, just stuff. And when he runs out of flat spaces, he just adds more flat spaces. I cleaned out his "computer room" today--

2 dead computers

6 empty boxes (big ones)

1 dead printer

5 unused/dead keyboards

4 mice(computer kind)

more empty boxes

Tools which would never be used in the house (a really BIG drill, for instance)

papers, papers, and more papers

Clothes he says are in "transition"--not dirty or clean

2 "spare" or old lower leg prosthesis--he has a new one, but you never know when you might need parts

a million notes to himself on stickeys, most of which seem to prertain to computer games he plays

I did not attempt to organize anything--just got out the dead computers, boxes etc.

I feel incredibly better about my own ADD--

At least I can remember to take my phone with me 99% of the time--his is always at home, which makes it useless if I need to call him at work--

Sigh-- 2 ADD people should NOT marry each other.

china

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you can almost read this to the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." LOL

You are right!! I may have to re=-write it so we will all have our own C'mas carol to sing--

That may be the ONLY good thing that came from this debacle. He threw a FIT--my granny would call it a "hissy fit" and accused me of throwiing out "all my stuff". I swore on a stack of bibles I did nothing but throw out EMPYT boxes and/or dead computers--but his papers were touched, and that was just too much of a send off.

I shoulda known better--sigh--

china, older and dumber

Geez, China....you are describing MY spouse. 'i might have needed that piece of paper'.

'no, honey, those were your old collegiate intermural basketball league rostes from your last year at college'

anyone care to guess the year?

No, we have gas receipts from 1985--for gas he paid cash for--

But it runs in my family--I found receipts for the rent my great g'mother paid on her house in Edinburg, Scotland, in the mid 1800's, befiore they came to the US. I found these about 6 months ago.

Sigh--

china

No, we have gas receipts from 1985--for gas he paid cash for--

That's what shoeboxes are for. New(er) receipts go on the dresser...

What's amazing is that much of the paperwork that everyday people stress out over "handling immediately"

can usually be ignored after it has sat for a while in the "to do" pile. Bills and rent payments are probably

the only exception, and they usually end up in a shoebox just in case they're needed to prove a payment

or residence or something.

Oh shit, I forgot my spouse.

Oh, that's right, I'm divorced. Oh shit, almost forgot.

Oh shit, I was supposed to send in my rent check 3 weeks ago.

Oh shit, I forgot I was out of catfood. They get real tuna tonight. My cats

love ADD

Oh shit, I forgot which of the 15 piles of "must deal with immediately" the most important immediate thing is in.

Oh shit, or where they are or what I threw on top of them.

Or if they fell to the floor or not.

Oh shit, or which room I put them in..

Ob shit, I really thought that I would have enough time to clean the house, bake 15 types of cookies, make dinner and make all the calls I needed to make if I put it off until 20 minutes before I had to leave the house.

Oh shit, I forgot the rest of what I forgot yesterday.

I'm thinking about that Christmas Carol ...

On the first day of Christmas my ADD love gave to me,

A partridge, he forgot the pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas my ADD love gave to me,

Two, I don't know yet cause he's late

And a partridge, he forgot the pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas my ADD love gave to me

Three empty boxes

And a partridge, he forgot the pear tree

On the fourth day of Christmas my ADD love gave toi me

Four chocolates left on the heater

Three empty boxes

On the fifth day of Christmas my ADD love gave to me

Five unread planners

Four chocolates left on the heater

Three empty boxes

Alright, alright. What do you want for 4 in the morning?

Five is about all my poor ADD brain can handle for tonight. Fee free to continue! LOL

On the first day of C'mas my ADD love game to me--a very large drill with no apparent purpose which he had been sroring "just in case"--(the partridge and the pear tree had long fled the place in fear and disgust)

On the 2nd day of C'mas my ADD love game to me--2 idential Valentine cards which he bought for me 2 years apart.

On the 3rd day of C'mas my ADD love gave to me- a genuine electric non-working Harry Potter magick wand

On the 4th day of C'mas my ADD love gave to me--a stack of "transitionally clean" clothes

on the 5th day of C;mas my ADD love gave to me-5 parts of artifical legs

On the 6th day of C'mas my ADD love gave to me--6 empty computer boxes

On the 7th day of C'mas my ADD ove game to me: 7 un-used mice

On the 8th day of C'mas my ADD love game to me-- 8 gas receipts from 1985

on the 9th day of C;mas my ADD love gave to me--nothing because he forgot what day it was''

On the 10th day of C';mas my ADD love game to me -10 ancient calendars

On the 11th day of C'mas my ADD love gave to me--11 more empty boxes

On the 12th day of C'mas my ADD love gave to me--my lost Adderall prescription!!

This has unlimited potential--

china

• 5 weeks later...

Archived