CrazyBoards.org

Seroquel for Bipolar mono therapy

I've tried just about every bipolar mood stabilizer.  Lithium(lithium just sucks, period), Tegretol(low white cell count), Valporic acid (gained 40 pounds in 3 monthes), Lamictal (terrible muscle aches!), and now Seroquel. 

I've had experience with Seroquel in the past.  The medication has been the medication to bring me down from mania and hypomania.  It has worked well. 

I've been on and off of lithium for 10 years before going on Seroquel as monotherapy.  So far it has really worked well for me.  The brain fog that lithium has allways effected me with is gone.  The hand tremors and the twitchy smiles are gone.  I don't have to freakin drink 20 gallons of H2o anymore to stay properly hydrated.  I actually began Seroquel monotherapy because of a case of dehydration that made me get very dizzy, fall, puke, and end up in the ER with a I.V. and fluids being pumped into me.  At that point I had it.  I was paranoid allready about sweating.  I used to sweat buckets in the summer and generally feel like crap whenever the temp was over 90.

It's been a year now on Seroquel.  I take 50mg 1 hour before I want to go to sleep.  I do also have a prn for 1mg of ativan.  I sometimes take 2mg if I'm feeling really stressed or over stimulated from work, or life. I occasionally use Klonopin .5 mg too, but never with the ativan.  The Benzo's can be useful, if not abused and used  when you really feel like pulling your hair out, or so full of anxiety that it seems to have an invisible fist clenched to your heart.

I've found meditation helps too.

I have to say that for me, Seroquel has really been the med that has made the biggest difference in my life.  The lack of side effects, the deep sleep, and quelling of manic impulses have helped me to become calmer, more at ease with my self, and better able to handle stress.

Has anyone else been taking Seroquel long term?

Seroquel put the lid on my mania so fast it made my head spin.  But I found that it did not give me a floor to my little mind space box.  I have recently started up on nardil (MAOI) and although I am not fully up to speed I can notice the difference versus the just straight seroquel.

So far my experience with seroquel is that it alone just isn't enough to keep the bottom from falling out underneath me.  For reference I was on 400mg seroquel to start and am now at 600mg.

I also take .5 mg alprazolam (xanax) prn for anxiety as well as a steady dose of 2mg daily spread throughout the day. 

The seroquel and xanax keep the noises at bay but without an AD I am not able to fully function.

Just my experiences so far YMMV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just Bi-Polar and have just dealt with mind-changing-thinking-mood stuff.  With the AD I can understand that you require a med to help with that too.

Good luck with your meds!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

50 milligrams seems low but apparently Seroquel does work for bipolar

A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Quetiapine in the Treatment of Bipolar I or II Depression.

Calabrese JR, Keck PE Jr, Macfadden W, Minkwitz M, Ketter TA, Weisler RH, Cutler AJ, McCoy R, Wilson E, Mullen J.

11400 Euclid Ave., Suite 200, Cleveland, OH 44106. joseph.calabrese@uhhs.com.

OBJECTIVE: There is a major unmet need for effective options in the treatment of bipolar depression. METHOD: Five hundred forty-two outpatients with bipolar I (N=360) or II (N=182) disorder experiencing a major depressive episode (DSM-IV) were randomly assigned to 8 weeks of quetiapine (600 or 300 mg/day) or placebo. The primary efficacy measure was mean change from baseline to week 8 in the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale total score. Additional efficacy assessments included the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, Clinical Global Impression of severity and improvement, Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale, Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, and Quality of Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire. RESULTS: Quetiapine at either dose demonstrated statistically significant improvement in Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale total scores compared with placebo from week 1 onward. The proportions of patients meeting response criteria (>/=50% Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale score improvement) at the final assessment in the groups taking 600 and 300 mg/day of quetiapine were 58.2% and 57.6%, respectively, versus 36.1% for placebo. The proportions of patients meeting remission criteria (Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale </=12) were 52.9% in the groups taking 600 and 300 mg/day of quetiapine versus 28.4% for placebo. Quetiapine at 600 and 300 mg/day significantly improved 9 of 10 and 8 of 10 Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale items, respectively, compared to placebo, including the core symptoms of depression. Treatment-emergent mania rates were low and similar for the quetiapine and placebo groups (3.2% and 3.9%, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: Quetiapine monotherapy is efficacious and well tolerated for the treatment of bipolar depression.

i was on seroquel as monotherapy and it was ok. i had an AD added b/c of low moments that were getting darker. The seroquel was awesome except for the 30+ lbs i gained. As diabetes is listed as a possible side effect the weight gain scared me enough to keep looking for the right med. I'm stilll looking and may end up back on Seroquel - fat or not

Archived