CrazyBoards.org

What is a good job to have with this illness?

Anything where you can set your own hours. Hubby writes, which he can do anytime. With our print shop, he has me to cover if he needs to take a mental health day. I used to deliver pizzas and several of the guys I worked with were mentally interesting. When you only have to be at the shop for a few minutes to grab a run, and spend most of the time in your car, with only small amounts of time dealing with people, it seemed to work well for them. (Plus the money is not bad. Minimum wage plus tips and mileage can be around $12/hr depending on where you live, but no benefits)

I guess consulting is another idea.

Are you looking for fulltime? Parttime? Supplimental income?

I'm unable to work too, but am not on disability because my hb supports me. We work together on our Art Furniture, and when I'm not bitching at him we do really cool work.

When I think about going out to work, I have no idea of what I could do that would not result in disastrous blow-outs with the staff. I fantasize about being a receptionist as I can be charming and delightful too.

I used to want to go back to school- art/music school- but now know that I have no patience for academics.

So, Sunshine, the only thing I can add to your post is: Me too!

A job with as little stress as possible. Different things stress different people out and everyone has a different stress threshold. I'd honestly recommend therapy to learn to deal with stress just because life is rampant with stress. If working in insurance doesn't stress you out, I'd stay with it!

I do data entry. I have to be to work at a certain time, and though it sucks, it's good for me to be on a set schedule like that. Otherwise, I'd be in bed all day. I'm allowed to listen to my iPod, so I tend to zone out after awhile. Easy work, some variety, decent pay. It's not ideal, but it's good enough for right now. The only stress I have is being fast enough to meet the daily quota. I'm good at it. I like the company, the people, and it's close to home.

i work in the airport at one of those kiosks selling stuff. i set my own hours. i work 12 hours a week. at least for right now i have a job, though i may screw this one up too (my mental health has just been bad lately).

but i make good money depending on the number of things i sell. for a bipolar person, you usually have some sort of charmisma and can sell decently, so if you can sell at least an average amount of stuff then you're good in this job.

Hi,

my last position was a BI adjuster..also handling lawsuits. at the time, i could handle the legal stuff and the technical aspects of the job. but now...no way. that job was way too stressful. on my team i had the highest inventory (number of claims). and my supervisor would not help me with the actual work. he did let me slide quite a bit on when i could come into work and long lunch breaks...but i always made sure i worked the 8 hours...so sometimes i would be at the office until 7 pm and then have to drive 45 minutes to get home.

There is no way i could handle that stress...at least right now. back then, spending 4 hours analyzing a demand and then writing a response was ok. it was the work that piled up while i was doing the demand. I also had to handle property damage & collision and that is just too much busy work when there are legal documents on the desk and in house counsel saying "DO THE DEMAND NOW!!!"

btw - "the demand" is what a person's lawyer sends in to evaluate their medical claim. it SHOULD contain medical records pertinent to the accident. but usually it doesnt...so i would have to write a response letter asking for additional information. this is a big game played by lawyers & insurance companies.

i only handled florida...so i dont know about other states. and yes, all states have their own quirkiness.

there are less stressful jobs in insurance. they may not pay as much....but at least its a job in the industry that you understand.

good luck,

december

Thanks you all for your responses. They have really helped me get a good perspective of where I'm at. And December, thanks for a reality check on the stress involved in handling claims. Maybe I should just concentrate on learning to be a good housekeeper, cook, gardner for a while. And of course getting better. Maybe take a course, online preferably. Jeez, this illness has set me back. But I try to be grateful for all I can. Hell, I've worked non-stop since I was six-teen. Maybe I can learn about some other things in life. I'm going to start another thread! THKS

I'm learning to stop trying to be heroic and overcome my illnesses- BP1 and BPD. I simply cannot handle much stress at all let alone dealing with the general public. I have been on SSI for a long time and struggle with feelings of worthlessness. If you can find a part time job that is low stress you should feel good about yourself because these illnesses are really, really brutal. Don't brutalize yourself with guilt if you can't work. You may have other very valuable things to contribute to society.

The heroics have invariably led to hospitalizations and a worsening of my self esteem.

What's left? Practicing compassion and just being a kind person to the people I know and encounter.

my first thought

before reading first post is

judge for Chippendale tryouts ;)

I think IF I had a choice

it would be doing something fun

or that I was dedicated to

and only PART-TIME so I could rest between fun

what about making a list of things you like doing on your own time

then seeing if there's a volunteer organization you could get started helping with

there's always work with volunteer & non-profits

and since you're not getting paid, at first

you come and go as you feel like it

• 5 months later...

Anything where you can set your own hours. Hubby writes, which he can do anytime. With our print shop, he has me to cover if he needs to take a mental health day. I used to deliver pizzas and several of the guys I worked with were mentally interesting. When you only have to be at the shop for a few minutes to grab a run, and spend most of the time in your car, with only small amounts of time dealing with people, it seemed to work well for them. (Plus the money is not bad. Minimum wage plus tips and mileage can be around $12/hr depending on where you live, but no benefits)

I guess consulting is another idea.

Are you looking for fulltime? Parttime? Supplimental income?

Well, I can't work now. I'm trying to figure out how to live independently. I may need to go to one of those group homes. Hopefully, I can get to a point where I can work one day. Thanks!

What's left? Practicing compassion and just being a kind person to the people I know and encounter.

Amen. I work as a supported housing coordinator in New York state. The Office of Mental Health (OMH) funds the program to help provide permanent housing to what they call the "SPMI population" (SPMI = seriously & persistently mentally interesting ;) ). But I work for a private agency, so the pay is lousy, and the insurance pretty much sucks. On the plus side - I can usually set my own pace, which is crucial - and there's LOTS of paid time off.

But what prompted me to respond was Hazel's quote, because that's the most important part of what I try to do. And you can do it whether you're working, or just with the people you meet in your daily travels. It's more of an ideal than something I can do all the time - sometimes just avoiding biting someone's head off is the best I can do on a given day - but I guess what I'm trying to say is, whether you're working or not, you can still contribute in your own way.

Sorry...I guess this is a little off-topic...I was just inspired by Hazel's quote.

I think it would be too stressful. What do you think? Please share your experience. Thanks!

I think the most important thing and probably the hardest thing is length of employment. I have (thankfully) been in the same job for 9 years. SO my employer understands if I come in all irritable and need some space. My two employees understand, too, if they need to keep the public away from me for a while. Or I just pop some ativans and that makes everything all right. mmmmmm, ativans. but I digress. The point is that a healthy relationship between you and your employer is key, I think. I answer to the owner and have two employees, so it's really a small, family-like atmosphere which is such a blessing and I'm so thankful. (plus the owner's wife is bipolar II).

Some of us are more functional than others, right now. That's a hard thing to accept. Based on all that you all have said, I think that my next goal will be volunteering. That feels good and right to me. I trust that I'll be O.K.

I do enjoy hearing about your daily experiences. Thanks!

Good luck. I hope you find something that will make you happy. Let me know! I'm still unemployed and it looks like I will be for a while. You have inspired me to volunteer at a school until I can find paying work. mel

Archived