CrazyBoards.org

Down a gallon a day for lithium!

I was just wondering who else drinks the 2-4 quarts of water daily for lithium, and how you do it.

When I'm being a good girl (which is most of the time, minus February), I fill up a "Kool-Aid" jug (2 qts/liters) with Crystal Light, and work my way top to bottom. I can usually down a quart when I take my AM meds, and that makes the rest of it not so hard.

When I was hospitalized last month, they were freaky about my jug, because they just don't give us too much water there. I ended up draining the cooler on multiple occasions.

What other ways do you do it?

What effects do you have when you miss it?

My hands and feet get dry or cracked if I miss even a quart. My eyes feel scratchy too.

I usually do about 2.5, either straight, with a little lemon, or with cheap-ass sugar-free fake lemonade. When I was briefly on Depakote as well, it *had* to be ice water - I craved ice water.

When I don't drink enough, I get dizziness due to low blood pressure. I haven't noticed any other issues.

I drink at least 2 quarts a day, probably often 3 quarts and, I"m not sure. I use a big stadium cup thad holds half a quart. I've been considering switching to a jug so that I can get a better feel for my overall consumption to ensure that I'm drinking enough. My thirst response doesn't drive me to drink enough so it's easy for me to get quite dehydrated. Plus I often plain get tired of chugging water all day.

I drink plain water mostly, though in the summer I will often have 1 glass of Gatorade, or when I'm dehydrated and just can't force myself to drink water. I think the Gatorade helps to balance the electrolytes, esp. potassium caused by sweating, as my tremors are reduced.

Crystal lite tastes great, but is sweetened with Aspartame/Nutrasweet. I figured out years ago that aspartame makes my mood swings, especially raginess, worse.

a.m.

I don't take lithium (that may change VERY SOON) but I drink 4-6 bottles of plain water a day. I have always been a water-drinker, so I guess I am lucky, but I know many folks just can'tstand it. Strangley, sine my recent break-down/mixed states/batshit attack, I have been even thurstier, and have drunk even more water.

Be careful with the Crystal light--the artificial sweetner is a diuretic--in other words,you end up peeing more out than you take in, so you are not really getting hydrated. Same with tea, cokes, coffee, etc. even if not artifically sweetened.

china--I know H20 even if I can't be a nurse

P.S. I have about 10 bottles, that I just refill from my tap water (which happensds to be good) and I put them on the door of the fridge, from one end to the other, so I always have one to grab.

wow, i soooo do not drink enough water. i mean barely any at all. i am a big soda drinker which is so bad for you.

chinacat-i am pretty sure i have heard that bacteria can build up in water bottles if you use them over and over again. sorry. i guess double-check that.

feel like the bearer of bad news here - i also heard that drinking anything with an artificial sweetner may be linked to cancer. i mostly drink diet sodas because i have found that most do not contain caffeine. diet dr. pepper, diet barq's, diet sunkist, diet coke are my favorites.

oh well. really need to change my drinking habits because i do not want the lithium to build up in my kidneys? liver? whatever the problem is.

have an incredible day,

kathy

feel like the bearer of bad news here - i also heard that drinking anything with an artificial sweetner may be linked to cancer. i mostly drink diet sodas because i have found that most do not contain caffeine. diet dr. pepper, diet barq's, diet sunkist, diet coke are my favorites.

Worse news--drinking, eating, or breathing just about ANYthing has at some point been linked to a cancer risk!

And I thought caffeine was the diuretic in those china???

Anyway I try to have at least one glass of water/hour at work, so I do the heavy hauling there, at least sipping and counting takes some of the boredom away!

On the cancer and artificial sweetener link, I went and searched some academic journals via my University's resources. This is what I dug up (the abstract):

Artificial sweeteners are added to a wide variety of food, drinks, drugs and hygiene products. Since their introduction, the mass media have reported about potential cancer risks, which has contributed to undermine the public's sense of security. It can be assumed that every citizen of Western countries uses artificial sweeteners, knowingly or not. A cancer-inducing activity of one of these substances would mean a health risk to an entire population. We performed several PubMed searches of the National Library of Medicine for articles in English about artificial sweeteners. These articles included

All those caffeine-things are diuretics, as are the fake sweetners. Don't know about the cancer.

And thanks, I do rinse my bottles with a weak bleachy stuff every few days. Just cheaper than buying more bottles over and over.

china

Archived