A sleep medicine that works?

Have you tried one of the hypnotics like Lunesta or Ambien?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I asked the psychiatrist in the hospital to put me on Lunesta and he said even though it's approved for long term use, you shouldn't use it long term.

Cheers,

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I asked the psychiatrist in the hospital to put me on Lunesta and he said even though it's approved for long term use, you shouldn't use it long term.

Cheers,

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that opinion differs according to different doctors. I've been on Ambien long term (up to about 3 years before recently switching) as long as it is under a doc's supervision things should go okay. It's certainly no worse than the long term use of benzos for sleep.

There are also other alternatives like the AP Seroquel (which didn't agree with me but works for many).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers,

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that opinion differs according to different doctors. I've been on Ambien long term (up to about 3 years before recently switching) as long as it is under a doc's supervision things should go okay. It's certainly no worse than the long term use of benzos for sleep.

There are also other alternatives like the AP Seroquel (which didn't agree with me but works for many).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I meet with my new psychiatrist on Tuesday.  He won't put me on Seroquel, I'm already on three antipsychotics for my psychosis.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest novice

Hi Bohemian.

There are usually problems with taking a sleep med long term. Just the extent and the nature of the problem varies from individual to individual and it also depends on the med. It's possible the use Lunesta long term. But for nearly all people the effect of the Lunesta will decrease over time. It's just slower than with most benzodiazepines.

You're taking a lot of meds for sleep. Is the ativan (=lorazepam?) intended to help you fall asleep. I'm not a fan of medicine cocktails/polypharmacy. Maybe you can replace some of the sleep meds with just one. I think that that would probably work, if you take the correct dose. If you're very anxious you could add a med that specifically works on that, such as ativan, clonazepam or valium. What about Lunesta, temazepam, or if you want something lighter, loprozolam or lormetazepam for sleep ? There is a thread on the old forum, sleep disorders board, about sleep meds. i believe there is a link somewhere here to that place.

Good luck.

Guest PinkToo2grrl

or if you want something lighter, loprozolam or lormetazepam

are these available in the US?  The info I was able to find on them appear to be UK or other non US based.  Also, when you say lighter, do you mean "lighter" than temazepam and lorazepam?  I use/have used the latter, and they are not enough, so I am thinking if the former are "lighter" they would not be enough either.

Guest novice

Temazepam, Lunesta and nitrazepam are of intermediate strength-potency. Very strong hypnotics-sleep meds, are triazolam and midazolam. You should avoid these.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they will probably cause more and possibly more serious side effects. And if you take something that's stronger than needed, you will decrease the quality of your sleep.

Temazepam, Lunesta and nitrazepam are of intermediate strength-potency. Very strong hypnotics-sleep meds, are triazolam and midazolam. You should avoid these.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they will probably cause more and possibly more serious side effects. And if you take something that's stronger than needed, you will decrease the quality of your sleep.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first part I understand, but how do we know that they're more than she needs? Especially given that the intermediate-potency agents don't seem to be working anymore...

i have used restoril 30mgs when i was in the hospital and it worked pretty well. it took a while before i fell asleep but it helped to keep me to sleep. i also woke up feeling rested and not groggy.

Hi, I have been on Ambien for a few years now, 10 mg.  Sometimes it doesnt work though.  I have been hearing a lot about Lunesta and wondering if anyone tried both (not at the same time) and which ones helped you? My doc told me ambien is not addictive and can be taken for years but I have been reading up on Lunesta which claims that is the only drug you could use long-term.

Any advice??

dollface

I am having a fun go 'round with the pdoc trying to find a way to get me to sleep in under 4 hours and stay asleep for more than 4 hours.

Currently I take 600 mg seroquel, 3 mg Xanax (alprazolam), 20 mg Starnoc (zaleplon), and 60 mg Nardil.  I think a small village could fall asleep on all that but as well as it quiets the noise in my head it doesn't make me sleepy.

Just my personal rx and observations.  YMMV.

I am having a fun go 'round with the pdoc trying to find a way to get me to sleep in under 4 hours and stay asleep for more than 4 hours.

Currently I take 600 mg seroquel, 3 mg Xanax (alprazolam), 20 mg Starnoc (zaleplon), and 60 mg Nardil.  I think a small village could fall asleep on all that but as well as it quiets the noise in my head it doesn't make me sleepy.

Just my personal rx and observations.  YMMV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what about swapping the zaleplon out for ambien or lunesta? zaleplon never did anything for me at ALL. Lunesta worked a little. Ambien used to work awesome, now just so-so.

i have used restoril 30mgs when i was in the hospital and it worked pretty well. it took a while before i fell asleep but it helped to keep me to sleep. i also woke up feeling rested and not groggy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have used restoril as well for about 7 years. my biggest deal that i make about it is the waking up the next morning as coherent as i would normally be.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel really bad for the UK...we here in the US take total advantage of our meds.  Just reading about everyone's meds and then along comes the UK and says how lucky we are makes me feel really sad.  *sighs*  Well, I may live in the US, but my pdoc won't help me out with sleep meds.  He's afraid I'll abuse them.  So I never get a good night's rest ever.  Even if I force myself to stay in bed all damn day, it's tossing and turning and strange dreams or noises or whatever that keeps me from resting.  It's downright annoying and I get absolutely meaner than cat dirt when I don't sleep.

Ah...I'm just bitchin'...sorry.

Elizabeth

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having major problems finding an effective med as well. I take wellbutrin 150mg for migraine prevention (the only thing that has ever worked), 10mg lexapro for anxiety/depression. I can't take benzos because I have a paradoxical reaction to them - they cause me severe anxiety and agitation. So do most things that are supposed to be sedating, like benadryl. I've tried ambien, it caused severe anxiety almost to a psychotic degree. In the past I've been on almost every AD, AED, and novel AP for migraine control and while some have helped for sleep they all had side effects bad enough to make me stop taking them. Some examples are nortriptyline, amitriptyline, seroquel, zyprexa, and as far as the AEDs I'm allergic to several but you name it I've tried it. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe a barbiturate, but I doubt my doc would prescribe one. Any other ideas?

I'm having major problems finding an effective med as well. I take wellbutrin 150mg for migraine prevention (the only thing that has ever worked), 10mg lexapro for anxiety/depression. I can't take benzos because I have a paradoxical reaction to them - they cause me severe anxiety and agitation. So do most things that are supposed to be sedating, like benadryl. I've tried ambien, it caused severe anxiety almost to a psychotic degree. In the past I've been on almost every AD, AED, and novel AP for migraine control and while some have helped for sleep they all had side effects bad enough to make me stop taking them. Some examples are nortriptyline, amitriptyline, seroquel, zyprexa, and as far as the AEDs I'm allergic to several but you name it I've tried it. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe a barbiturate, but I doubt my doc would prescribe one. Any other ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know its not helpful right now, but in september a new sleep med is coming out on the market - it might be perfect for you because it isn't a hypnotic like Ambien, it works on your internal sleep clock. it's called Rozeram.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know its not helpful right now, but in september a new sleep med is coming out on the market - it might be perfect for you because it isn't a hypnotic like Ambien, it works on your internal sleep clock. it's called Rozeram.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have any links with more info about it? I searched Google and it was fruitless.

I'm having major problems finding an effective med as well.

You probably need something stronger, but have you tried melatonin? What about Trazodone? Otherwise, hopefully the new med will work 'cause you do seem to have tried just about everything.

I'm having major problems finding an effective med as well.

You probably need something stronger, but have you tried melatonin? What about Trazodone? Otherwise, hopefully the new med will work 'cause you do seem to have tried just about everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trazodone exacerbates my migraines. I'm seeing the pdoc tomorrow, I'll ask her about the new med.

Guest PinkToo2grrl

i have tried tons of stuff for insomnia all to no avail.  seroquel was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.  only problem was constipation like you wouldn't believe, and a weird distended feeling.    i stopped taking it because i thought it was making me gain weight at a freakishly rapid rate, but turns out when i stopped taking it i kept gaining, so it wasn't the seroquel. 

i'm thinking i grab myself a bucket of prunes and head back to the seroquel.  it was the best sleep i have had in years.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I haven't tried are the old-school APs. I'm going to ask my pdoc about thorazine or mellaril.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had me some goooood sleepin on Thorazine, for what that's worth.

And I didnt get TD till I was back on Risperdal. Heh. Go figure.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My doc will not prescribe any APs except Seroquel or Zyprexa, and I have tried both before and didn't like them. So. Maybe I will try Lunesta, but it is expensive if it doesn't work. I should look for a free trial thingie.

I took 40mg of Sonata the other day and it jacked me up good, but I didn't sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some killer insomnia as well, so I can relate.

Doc gave me some samples of the 3mg Lunesta pills, which I tried for several nights. I don't know if it's just me, but they were just a joke to me. Did absolutely nothing for me. It would take me several hours to get to sleep, then I would sleep MAYBE an hour, then be wide awake for the rest of the night. Awful. But I know it does work great for some people. But the general consensus that I've gathered about Lunesta from others that have tried it, is generally dissappointment. Which really sucks. The commercials make it look so wonderful. *sigh*

ANYway, I am currently taking 10mgs. of Ambien and 1 1/2 mgs. of Risperdal nightly, which generally gets me to sleep very quickly, and gives me about 7 hours of very sound, solid sleep. So maybe give those a try, if you haven't yet. Well, good luck to you, hope you find some relief soon.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm throwing it out there again because it's my last-resort standby: Remeron. It's available generically, but I don't think it works as well. A really small dose is all you need. Combined with Ambien, it's a guaranteed solid eight hours of sleep.

It leaves me a bit groggy and even one dose will give me the sugar/carb cravings for a day or two, but when you haven't slept more than a couple of hours per night for a week or more, well.... need I say more?

Remeron is a non-SSRI antidepressant. I think most bipolars can take it. It's also been a great AD for me, but eventually the poor eating habits it causes outweigh (no pun intended) the benefits. It can also be taken "as needed" (for insomnia) - no titration required.

Sunshine

I have some killer insomnia as well, so I can relate.

Doc gave me some samples of the 3mg Lunesta pills, which I tried for several nights. I don't know if it's just me, but they were just a joke to me. Did absolutely nothing for me. It would take me several hours to get to sleep, then I would sleep MAYBE an hour, then be wide awake for the rest of the night. Awful. But I know it does work great for some people. But the general consensus that I've gathered about Lunesta from others that have tried it, is generally dissappointment. Which really sucks. The commercials make it look so wonderful. *sigh*

ANYway, I am currently taking 10mgs. of Ambien and 1 1/2 mgs. of Risperdal nightly, which generally gets me to sleep very quickly, and gives me about 7 hours of very sound, solid sleep. So maybe give those a try, if you haven't yet. Well, good luck to you, hope you find some relief soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually just got a sample of 2 mg lunesta. I had a beer and took one pill, I was out within a half hour but not in a drugged, messed up way. I did wake up several times but was able to get back to sleep fairly quickly. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but if I wake up several times again I will ask for the higher dose. This is the first sedative experience I've had in a long time without any adverse effects. It did leave a really funny taste in my mouth, but I've had that with a lot of meds.

At this point I want to avoid anything that causes weight gain, I am almost back to normal from my seroquel/nortriptyline/trazadone/lexapro cocktail.

Maybe you need a higher dose. But it's a VERY BAD idea to combine Lunesta with alcohol, even if it's just a little. If you need a stronger effect it's better to use a higher dose of lunesta (actually I only know zopiclone, which is mostly similar to Lunesta), then to add alcohol.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sleeper

I have tried it all, and will give you my honest comments.  Anti-psychotics (such as seroquel, zyprexa) should probably be avoided if possible due to there very high side-effect profile, in addition that they are not even indicated for sleep, but carry a side-effect that causes sleep.

Trazodone- is an old school anti-depresant that was unsucessful in treating depression, but actually caused sleepiness.  Due to it's reaction on the histamine receptors, it makes you feel very groggy and hung over the next day (stays in your system for a verrrrrrry long time.)

Ambien-Very effective for insomnia, but there is a catch.  The starting dose of this drug is either 5mg or 10mg, and over time your body will start to build up a tolerence to this drug, leading to an increase in dosage to get the same results. 10mg will lead to 20mg so on so fourth until you find that the drug has stopped working all together.  In addition to tolerence, you will also be discouraged by the high price of this drug.  Due to this drug, and most other drugs in this field being a scheduled IV drugs you will notice that most doctors are scared to prescribe this drug.  Your doctor is probably right to be scared, you will receive an initial buzz shortly after dosage of this drug that many people find to be addicitive.  This drug will put you in a worse position than when you started taking it if you try to discontinue use.  Drug causes rebound insomnia for about three days after discontinuation.  My oppinion, stay away from this drug, it is like crack for the insomniac, and causes more problems then it is worth despite a hefty dollar on advertising which is all a lie. (ps stay away from ambien CR as well.  It is just a higher dosage of ambien which was created to re-new the pattent on ambien, due to it comming off pattent this year.)

Xanax(alaprazolam)-  This drug is usually prescribed at a low dosage, and is part of a family of drugs called BENZODIAZAPEANS which are bad news (xanax, valium,diazapam,tamazapam) acts as a tranquilizer, and usually lasts for a long time, including your next day at work.  Although very cheap, they lead to a higher dosage for effectivness over time and are highly addictive.  You will usually find old school doctors are more inclined to write this sort of drug.

Lunesta(eszopiclone)- This drug is not a new break through.  It has been available in europe under the name zopiclone, or immovane for years, and proved not to be as effective as other drugs on the market for insomnia.  Yes, it is just now available in the U.S. but it is just a marketing scheme to take from some of the competitions business.  I have tried this drug at different dosages, and it did nothing for me.  BE AWARE OF THE METALIC TASTE LEFT IN YOUR MOUTH FOR ABOUT 48 HOURS AFTER DOSAGE/NASTY SIDE-EFFECT.  Tastes like sucking on a penny.

Rozerem(ramelteon)- This drug has proven itself worthless to me.  I have tried different dosages and had no success.  It is the first attempt to create a non-scheduled sleeping drug by a company way out of there league.  It says it works on the melatonin receptor sites in your body, but if you do enough research on melatonin you will find that it actually dosen't cause any changes quickly, and may also be more effective on sleep by taking in the daytime, at a very small dosage.  In a nutshell this drug was a huge let down, along with it's sister Lunesta.

There may actually be hope in the future for the insomniac!  Phizer will be releasing a drug that I beleive will be called zalaplon in around a year.  This drug is supposed to be a blockbuster, and is said to actually give us hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for insomnia.  In addition to actually working, this drug will be released without a schedule IV rating, unlike it's competition.  Keep your fingers crossed, but it sounds pretty hopefull!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind, you milage may very. what works for some, dowsn't do jack for others. I know some people who swear by seroquel but I had a horrible reaction to it. I think I've tried everything and I am now deciding that there is noe "one" perfect sleep medication. It's a combination of sleep hygene, meds, etc that I need to find that fits "me" and everyone will find their own fit. Unfortunatly, this takes time. trial and eroor. which really really sucks, but that is life I guess.

• 2 months later...
Guest not sleepy anymore

;)Hey, I, like you, have tried "everything" for migraines and insomnia. Rozerem IS working for me.... most folks bitch about it, but I get all ready for bed, take the pill and am out in half an hour! And in the past I've taken all sorts of bartbituates, but they "wire" me, so I'm thrilled that these work, and the doc's don't have problems with writing a 'script, cuz they're non-addictive. Good Luck![quote=kellet,Jul 30 2005, 04:13 AM]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this post is old, but my experiences with sleep aids all failed for me.  Ambien, and other hypnotics did not work.  I found a sleep aid that is natural.  It is called Valerian, and it is the most fetid smelling thing, but boy do you sleep.  I would put a dropper full in a glass of water and drink while not breathing.  Then I would immediately brush my teeth.  It is the only thing that has worked for me.  If you do decide to try this, buy it from a reputable pharmacy or health food store. 

I hope by now your problem has been solved, but I figured I'd add my two cents.  Good luck.

I know this post is old, but my experiences with sleep aids all failed for me.  Ambien, and other hypnotics did not work.  I found a sleep aid that is natural.  It is called Valerian, and it is the most fetid smelling thing, but boy do you sleep.  I would put a dropper full in a glass of water and drink while not breathing.  Then I would immediately brush my teeth.  It is the only thing that has worked for me.  If you do decide to try this, buy it from a reputable pharmacy or health food store. 

I hope by now your problem has been solved, but I figured I'd add my two cents.  Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rozerem nor valerian work for me. and the valerian does smell really really bad

*holds nose*

• 2 months later...

Archived