CrazyBoards.org

Do any of you have a problem with running conversations in the voices of your friends?

I was at a concert on Tuesday night, and started to get really edgey and a bit paranoid. I think it was because I was two hours away from home, in a much bigger city, where I know very few people - let alone the name's of the streets. So I walked into the band's-only room in the back of the venue, found myself a corner facing the entrance, and sat in it.

I was by myself for a little bit, but inevitably the guitarist discovered I was hiding and decided to see what was up. And while I felt immensely relieved to have someone else sitting in the room with me, it also caused more head noise.

I could hear her talking, and she was saying some absolutely horrendous things about me. But at the same time, I got a peaceful vibe off of her presence in the room. It was a strange, very-conflicting moment. I'd hear her tell me that I was being a realy jerk by ditching everyone and hiding in the band room, then I'd turn around and see she was really just sitting there.

So I'm hearing her, and other friends, say things that they're not. The confusing part is that what I hear is most definitely in their voice, and that it most often happens when I'm in presence of the person I hear and I don't have a clear view of them. I've noticed it gets worse when I have someone behind me - hence the sticking my back against the wall in a corner technique.

The only thing besides corners that seems to help, is my ability to match audio and visual together. If I make a consious effort to face the person, so I can see when they're talking, I can say to myself, "Ok, their mouth is moving, which means they're saying something." But if I don't see movement, I use that as a reality check to try and convince myself that they're not saying anything at all.

The hard part, is when I end up in this condition I really need whoever I think is saying things to really say something to me. Otherwise, I can't synch up the audio and the visual and figure out what the hell is going on. The only friend that this doesn't seem to be a problem with is the guitarist. I get a general "good person" vibe off of her, which makes it easier to tell myself that what I'm hearing couldn't possibly come out of her mouth, whether or not she's saying something.

Does anyone have a similar problem? What kinds of techniques have you developed to deal with it?

I thought I heard my mother in law say things she swears she never said. Same situation except I think I was looking at her but they could just be faulty memory.

I go to mental health and had to give abilify a long trial before I got to see a doctor and at 15 mg its about gone.  I wake up sometimes thinking my mom or dad has said "Get up! Rita" and wondering if they really are here in my house.  But normally no voices on the abilify, no sleep either though lately.

Medications are the first line of defense. Secondly, one can get by sort of seeing things a double way. Like you say one can check out the situation and get some feedback and quiet the paranoia that way. As long as one can view the situation as relatively real even though there are some paranoid elements one can still cope with the situation. But when the balance tips and the paranoia completely takes over this is when something absolutely has to be done. The question then is the paranoia becoming overwhelming then one must address the situation either by a call to a doctor or whatever.

Archived