CrazyBoards.org

Books specifically about BPII?

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday in the psych section ( of course), and I noticed plenty of books on Bipolar disorder, but nothing about Bipolar II. Is this such a new concept that noone has written about it yet??

I've looked at the links from this page but was really hoping to find more info in the bookstore. I always feel a little less alone in a dx if I can see myself in what someone has written or what others have also experienced. Its hard to accept especially if I don't fully understand it.

If you've read anything useful please share! Thanks.

A relatively newly diagnosed Bipolar II, mrs l

Dr. Jim Phelps has website dedicated to BP II and just published a book on it: http://www.psycheducation.org/

I would strongly urge that you buy The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by Miklowitz. If you are going to own one book on bipolar, that is the book to buy. Truly oustanding it is a good balance of information, practical guidance for both patients and families. It's only $13. There is a link to amazon from the main.

a.m.

The Survival Guide talks almost exclusively about BP1, FWIW, but the Phelps site is fantastic. Screw the whole 1/2/3 thing, go with the ICD definitions: Bipolar, Bipolar currently depressed, Bipolar currently manic, Bipolar currently hypomanic, Bipolar currently in remission.

So, I just finished Why Am I Still Depressed and it's pretty good. It's an easy read, goes over medication options, talks about conditions that mimic BPII and comorbid conditions.

I'm still in that denial phase, and it was really good for me to see it all layed out.

It's a very clear and concise book.

Guest Candace

That's funny because I was just in Border's the other day and saw a book about bipolar II in the psych section and was pretty surprised. Maybe you could find it on Amazon. I think it was more geared towards actual psychologists though. I browsed through but can't really remember. The Lamictal makes my memory shit.

Guest Candace

That's funny because I was just in Border's the other day and saw a book about bipolar II in the psych section and was pretty surprised. Maybe you could find it on Amazon. I think it was more geared towards actual psychologists though. I browsed through but can't really remember. The Lamictal makes my memory shit.

Oh wait. Here it is. It's for people WITH it. I wanted to buy it but it was like $20 and I'm a broke college student.

Bipolar II: Enhance Your Highs, Boost Your Creativity, and Escape the Cycles of Recurrent Depression--The Essential Guide to Recognize and Treat the Mood Swings of This Increasingly Common Disorder (Hardcover)

by Ronald Fieve

That was me above. Forgot I have a username(LOVE YOU LAMICTAL!) It won't let me edit posts when logged in as a guest so sorry for posting three separate posts.

Just wanted to add that the book everyone else mentioned(Why Am I Still Depressed?) has gotten pretty good reviews while the one I mentioned has gotten some pretty bad reviews. While I was flipping through it I remember thinking it was weird he was talking about bipolar II as if it were a GOOD thing to have. Very annoying.

You know what? I took Abnormal Psych last semester and when we were discussing the bipolar spectrum, my professor and TA said that if they had to choose a mental disorder to have they would choose Bipolar II. ;) I was pretty pissed. Sadly, I've heard this from a lot of people. They're referring to the hypomania of course. If that's their logic then why wouldn't they want cyclothymia so they could get hypomania w/out the severe, debilitating depression that people w/ BP II get?

Fucking assholes.

You know what? I took Abnormal Psych last semester and when we were discussing the bipolar spectrum, my professor and TA said that if they had to choose a mental disorder to have they would choose Bipolar II.

Oh, good, then they can have mine. Because I sure as hell don't want it.

Archived