CrazyBoards.org

Old meds stopped working

Have been on Cipralex (UK name) (Lexapro in US), for several years along with Strattera (atomoxetine) and I don't think they are working any more for my depression. Going to see pdoc soon and wondered if there's anything better out there now that's not doing the same thing?? I've tried every other drug out there since 1987!!!

Fed up with being suicidal and depressed

Belper, Derbyshire, UK

You don't say what your Cipralex dose is. Could you try a higher dose before moving on?

Have you tried all the other SSRIs? It seems like a good bet since Cip has been good to you for several years. Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil...

If you're looking for something newer than the SSRIs, then Cymbalta might be your next choice.

Let us know how you're doing.

Greeny

Been on max dose of Cipralex from start. Tried every other SSRI out there as well as Wellbutrin (made me ill).

Still waiting for the "urgent referral" from my GP to my pdoc. People die on waiting lists over here but I'm still glad I have the NHS as my GP is the best doc I've ever had.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viv

Fed up with being suicidal and depressed

Belper, Derbyshire, UK

really sorry this is off-topic, but can't not ask this as i've noticed that I only live a few miles away from you (Ashbourne, me duck!). Ever tried any of the local support groups? are there even any?

On topic again:

Mirtazapine (the new 'wonder' AD, apparently) wasn't too bad, but I think it's agravated (sorry if this is spelt incorrectly - I went to Mackworth Secondary Modern) agitation, though I think it's helped a family member with their BPD. It's supposed to have less side effects, though 9-10 hrs sleep per night is apparently common, as is weight gain. Don't go with Seroxat if you have agitated depression, BTW!

• 2 weeks later...

I would give Effexor-XR (venlafaxine) or Cymbalta (duloxetine) a try. Other options might be Edronax (reboxetine) or even an older drug like a tricyclic (TCA) or a mono amine oxidaze inhibitor (MAOI)? Remeron (mirtazapine) is great if u don't mind sleeping and eating a lot.

Remeron and (rather, or) trazodone seem to make potent combinations with SSRIs and Cymbalta/Effexor.

Cymbalta plus trazodone threw me into what may have been a 6 month hypomania. Or that was the "normal" me. (Note that my washing machine doesn't have a "normal" setting per se).

I'm now futzing around with Remeron for sleep, and you'd better take that damn thing a minute before going to bed, otherwise it'll give you the munchies to all holy hell. Well it'll still give you munchies, but it's also a good knockout pill, so hopefully you fall asleep before getting munchies. Though, unlike Zyprexa, it won't mess with your blood sugar levels all by itself.

Nothing worked for my depression except Geodon. I'm DXd BPII.

Using an antipsychotic or antipsychotic with an antidepressant might be a good idea. I've heard of people using stimulants as augmentation to antidepressants in treatment resistant depression. Maybe bring it up with your doctor.

i wanted to comment on your comment about stims...do you have AD(H)D?

i can only talk about adderall, because i've only taken adderall in the stim category.

i'm also bp, so i don't know how much this will help.

i know that when i'm depressed, and in any other mood phase, my ADD inattentive subsides quite a lot on Adderall and i can finish things, like that book i started or those clothes i was folding, without a problem. maybe the stim could help wtih depression's lack of motivation factor.

but be careful wtih them. in the US, they are schedule 2, meaning on the same addiction level page as meth and other potent hardly medical drugs (meth being used sometimes for narcolepsy). here, they monitor you PER PILL and you cannot get your script filled a day early. they treat you like you're a junkie if you attempt to do that. i was in the pharmacy and figured that while i was there i could pick up my adderall too- nope! they lock it down good.

i'd try an antipsychotic first before even dreaming of stims. i personally liked risperdal, though it made my prolactin so out of whack that i needed to stop. zyprexa is a wonder drug but does bad things to your sugar and weight. geodon made me homocidal and has a short half life. i know there are some available in the UK that aren't here, so i can't comment on those.

also, try, as others have suggested, some of the SSRIs and newer ones, like cymbalta. a lot of people seem to like it, but my mom hated it (also bp1).

loon

Archived