CrazyBoards.org

Checking in

Sorry to make y'all worry a few weeks back, but I'm in flatland now and doing okay.

I finally found a job - doing retail sales at Dillard's. I've never done retail, so that ought to be interesting. :-) I start this weekend, so I'll let y'all know how it goes. My moods seem to have balanced out, and I'm getting some rest at night. My pdoc upped my Seroquel, and that helps me sleep. More sleep = better able to deal with shit. My niece moved in with us, so that helps with the bills. Now I just need my daughter to find a job, and everything will be shiny.

So, just checking in to let y'all know that I'm alive. Thanks for the concern. Sorry I didn't be back to you sooner, but it's been chaotic around here with my niece moving in and me finding work. I hope to be posting more in the near future.

Laters!

thanks for checking in! it's great that you're here.

i worked in retail sales for a couple of years. i worked at radioshack as a seasonal employee and got promoted to assistant manager, michael's arts and crafts as a craft demonstrator, and dillard's as a clarin's paris sales associate. so i was selling cosmetics at dillard's.

they're really big on being on time, and don't even accept horrid traffic as an excuse, at least my dillard's didn't. as AM said, dress like you are a position higher than you are, always look "smart" as my grandma would say (another way to say classy), and make sure your customers have everything they may need. when you sell, you may feel sometimes like you're taking advantage if you're suggesting accessories with their outfit or a lipstick shade that would go with that dress (sometimes stores are very particular about what department an item is bought in, and sometimes you can cross-sell, like i was talking about). you can sell them additional items, and are actually doing them a service. they'll appreciate their purchases more and walk out with a better impression of their shopping experience. you'll develop customers who will only come to you, in a rather short time too, if you are good to them.

best of luck! i hope what i had to say about life at dillard's is helpful-

loon

Thanks for the tips guys. My first day was all right, but my feet hurt. :-) I'll be in the Men's department, so that ought to be interesting. Since I'm not all about making the biggest paycheck I can possibly make, but I am all about customer satisfaction I think I'll do okay. The people I met in the department seem to be a mixture of territorial gotta make the big bucks and laid back hey, as long as I get paid and angry I hate everyone - all on my first day! But, I had a good time. hahaha! I know how to handle the former, kick it with the middle, and avoid the latter.

Gotta run.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_CeruleanBlue_*

they're really big on being on time, and don't even accept horrid traffic as an excuse, at least my dillard's didn't.

I did a stint at Dillard's as well during one of my many "career transitions" (sigh) and I'll second what Loon-a-Tik said. At the store I worked at (actually I worked at two and it was the same at both) if you were more than 5 minutes late it was called an exception. I think after 3 "exceptions" in a certain time frame, you were fired. I am perennially late and it was so hard for me to get there on time, but I never got fired because of it (actually never got fired at all--from Dillard's, anyway.)

But, it wasn't so bad working there. For retail, it was pretty good money. I seriously doubt there's much chance for advancement, but who knows--maybe things have changed. Plus, you can scope out the sale stuff ahead of time and with your discount, get some good stuff cheap (if you can afford it, which is another issue....)

Anyway, good luck!

;)

they're really big on being on time, and don't even accept horrid traffic as an excuse, at least my dillard's didn't.

I did a stint at Dillard's as well during one of my many "career transitions" (sigh) and I'll second what Loon-a-Tik said. At the store I worked at (actually I worked at two and it was the same at both) if you were more than 5 minutes late it was called an exception. I think after 3 "exceptions" in a certain time frame, you were fired. I am perennially late and it was so hard for me to get there on time, but I never got fired because of it (actually never got fired at all--from Dillard's, anyway.)

But, it wasn't so bad working there. For retail, it was pretty good money. I seriously doubt there's much chance for advancement, but who knows--maybe things have changed. Plus, you can scope out the sale stuff ahead of time and with your discount, get some good stuff cheap (if you can afford it, which is another issue....)

Anyway, good luck!

smile.gif ;)

Now, how did I miss this?

Hey Pat,

It's great to hear you found a job. I seem to remember you saying something about sales in an earlier post. Making money and keeping busy is a good thing.

Sorry I haven't checked in with you recently.

Martin

I just need to know HOW to get a job at Dillard's, or Michael's or--anywhere in retail sales, etc. Every time I apply they see that I have been/am a nurse, and won't hire me because I am "overqualified"

But I don't want to go back to nursing/can't find a nursing job--and I need a job. I am used to being on time, and I can sell, and I work hard. But if I don't find something this week, by April 1 we won't be able to even pay our rent, far less our other bills.

I am terrified, and guilty and so anxious I just sit on the couch and cry, and re-read the want ads over and over--nothing there.

in total chaotic fear--

china

Hi China,

I was wondering if it might work for you to just say that you've retired from nursing.

It isn't really anyone's business how or why you've retired. I suppose you could say that you've decided to move into something less stressful...most people can relate to that. But I don't know that you'd need to say anything.

Just a thought...I know a lot of my mom's friends have moved on to retail jobs after retiring or just kind of "quitting" their more demanding lines of work. My dad even moved into a courier job after a long career in management after retirement. All he did was tell them he retired and wanted a less stressful work environment.

I wish you all the luck you need. And plenty of peace.

Sallie

I just need to know HOW to get a job at Dillard's, or Michael's or--anywhere in retail sales, etc. Every time I apply they see that I have been/am a nurse, and won't hire me because I am "overqualified"

You know, I had this same problem - no one in retail would hire me at all because of my extensive admin experience. I got the same thing - "overqualified" - and it sucked rocks! A friend convinced me to try Dillard's. I figured, what the hell? So, in the interview I told them I was tired of being chained to a desk and didn't mind the pay cut. I told them that as long as I could pay my bills, I was happy. They didn't have an ad in the classifieds, and they didn't have jobs posted anywhere that I knew of, but from what I can tell, the turnover in the big department stores is *high*, so they're always hiring. Check them out in the local mall.

I'm not certain that this particular job is my cup o' tea, but I don't mind it. It's better than being chained to a desk actually, and it does almost pay the bills. My car died so I'm on the bus and working part time now. Life does have a way of working out like that for me.

My moods are all over the charts, and I'm wondering if my meds have stopped working. I mean I've been suicidally depressed at least twice in the last few months. I've also been - not completely manic - but at least hypo-manic twice too. I think that the meds are keeping me from going completely manic. Since they're not anti-depressants, I don't think they're helping with the depression at all. Oh yeah, I'm on Seroquel and Topamax. I take Salmon oil, Brewer's Yeast, and Evening Primrose oil too.

I still owe my pdoc money, so I can't see him until I pay him - working part time isn't gonna make that happen any time soon. Right now, I'm just hoping that I can see him before I finish out what I have and see if he will prescribe some anti-depressants.

It sucks being poor.

Had interview today for sales job at motorcycle accessoriy store--think I got job--even the manager, who was younger than my son, was actually impressed with my ancient experience.

Please, which ever diety is listening, just let them hire me. Went for the frug test, and they are doding the background check (in Fla. you can't shit without a background check--still, we have more perves per inch----???) So sounds like they like me! They reallylike me!!

Jesus, Budah, Goddess, and all others who may be listening-- I really want and NEED this job, and I would be so fucking good at it--

stay tuned--

china, who just told them I was retired from nursing--and wanted to go back to what I did and loved before, working with bikers--the truth shall set you free (or maybe get me a job--)

Archived