CrazyBoards.org

So... at what age are you really SUPPOSED to go see a GYN?

I'm 20, and have never been.

If I'm not married or having sex is it okay to wait?

I mean.. i've never... well.... yeah, I've never had consentual sex.... I was abused at about 6.... and about 10-11 in with "penetration".... but... yeah.

That was probably TMI. but... yeah... I'm trying to delay going, but maybe its a bad thing.

So... what age did you start going? and What age SHOULD you start going?

you need to have a pelvic exam by 18 (21 at the latest) if you have not had sexual contact, or within a year if you have had sex. i went when i was 16, before my first sexual experience.

this article on what a visit is like might make you feel better about it.

i understand your fear. ask around for recommendations for a compassionate doctor. let the doctor know about your past so she can help you through the process.

It's important to get checked especially if you were abused. My GYN checks for disease and cancers in a regular exam and just that everything is ok. It's really not so bad, and you'll find that most places let you leave your underwear on and they just move it to the side when they need to go in. My gyno does anyways.

Good luck.

Bern

You really need to go, jsut to make sure there are no problems. Not only is cervical cancer prevelant, and CURABLE, they now have a vaccine. Hmm, I know there's a thread about that, I didn't read it, so I don't know what all was said. It 's NOT that bad, just a second of discomfort, and that is all. Personally, I *must* have a female doc. I feel so much more comfortable.

Really, it's just a check-up of your insides, vs. your outsides. Go.

You do not have to see an OB/gyn for a pelvic exam. You can get one at a genenral practicioners office as part of your yearly physical (or seperate), a walk-in clinic, women's clinic, planned parenthood, birth control clinic, health clinics, or other places. Ask around and see where you would feel most comfortable. It is important to ask for the specific results because sometimes lab work gets overlooked, but more importantly mild cell displasia gets reported as normal. And I would want to know whenever there is any cervical cell change so to keep on top of it on my own by increasing the frequency of PAP smears before I receive the abnormal report and a doctor informs me to come more frequently.

Archived