CrazyBoards.org

Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) for daily migraines?

A friend of mine suffers from daily migraines (if untreated) and takes Topamax, Lexapro, and Corego (a combo alpha/beta blocker) to prevent them, but still gets breakthrough migraines at least twice a week (for which he takes Imitrex and sometimes even morphine).

He recently threw out his back and was taking Skelaxin (I believe 800 mg, 2x/day). After about a week, he realized he hadn't had a migraine... VERY unusual for him. As soon as he stopped taking the Skelaxin, the migraines started again. The headaches are definitely migraine, not tension. He was hospitalized for almost a month several years ago and has had numerous MRIs, etc. to confirm the diagnosis. Without the preventative meds, he'd has constant migraine pain and non-stop vomiting.

It does appear that Skelaxin is used to treat migraines (based on a Google search), but the information ("official" and anecdotal) is limited. He's definitely going to discuss this with his neurologist, but I told him I'd also do a little research. Anyone have any experience, information, thoughts? What are the potential risks of taking it daily? (He said it made him a little drowsy the first day or two, but that it went away... other than that, he didn't notice any side effects.)

• 3 years later...
Guest susie

I've been taking Skelaxin for migraines for a year now, and it definitely helps. The insurance company is not going to continue paying for it, so I'll have to do that myself. It's worth it.

Sweet!

I just had the worse migraine of my life a couple days ago, with vomiting and everything. A combo of Naproxen, Excedrin, Coffee, Amitriptyline, and Nadolol helped. I don't get them often and have a mentality of, "I'll just deal with it" so I don't have any real migraine meds - that will definitely change now! I never thought of trying Skelaxin.. I have a steady supply of it too. Thanks for posting about this. ;)

• 2 months later...

Was searching for something else and found this. I also have migraines, and the abortive stuff (ergotamines, triptans, etc.) are all meds that for some reason I cannot tolerate. I've taken about every muscle relaxer available due to a back injury, and Skelaxin plus a pain-killer seemed to help. Having no insurance, however, I do keep up with what's gone generic, and Skelaxin finally did!! Once the price finally settles down, I'm going to discuss this option with my doc!

-L

Was searching for something else and found this. I also have migraines, and the abortive stuff (ergotamines, triptans, etc.) are all meds that for some reason I cannot tolerate. I've taken about every muscle relaxer available due to a back injury, and Skelaxin plus a pain-killer seemed to help. Having no insurance, however, I do keep up with what's gone generic, and Skelaxin finally did!! Once the price finally settles down, I'm going to discuss this option with my doc!

-L

I get my Skelaxin through patient assistance.. so that's a possibility. I didn't know it went generic though.. so the assistance may be cancelled.

• 5 months later...

I've suffered from severe Migrane headaches for well over 10 years. I had been to 6 different Neurologists and each one of them had given me different prevention pills to try and keep the headaches away including Topamax, Effexor, and Verapamil, but nothing worked and I was tired of putting all that medication in my body. Well, one day at work I was talking to a co-worker who had suffered for a long time from Migranes as well and had come across this all natural juice. It comes from a desert cactus in Arizona and Mexico. It has many more great health benefits too! It also helps with inflamation, reduces swelling in joints and muscles, helps with allergies, reduces stress, gives you more energy,and more. If you'd like more details, drop me an e-mail at cjthedj13@yahoo.com I just wanted to let everyone know there is hope out there for us!

Chris

Skelaxin,

my husband, Transgester, LOVES that stuff. It is expensive. He has three blown discs and it gives him pain relief and energy. Sort of a high. Once when I picked up the prescription at the pharmacy this pharmacist, an older man who was subbing for our regular guy, make sort of a rude innuendo that people take it for the high. What ever!

It helps him to function and not be so miserable.

• 4 months later...

I've been taking Skelaxin for migraines for a year now, and it definitely helps. The insurance company is not going to continue paying for it, so I'll have to do that myself. It's worth it.

I have been diagnosed with hemi crania continua AND migraines. Have had them about six months now. I saw a neurologist, who threw up his hands because the meds I took gave me severe side effects, and he refused to prescribed an anti migraine med, so I saw an orafacial pain doctor (DDS) who eventually diagnosed the HCC by prescribing indocin. It worked! He also put me on a high dose of neurontin for prophylactic reasons - I had the usual neurontin side effects , and was taken off- too soon, I think I had been off of it for about a week, and I have felt miserable, having headaches return (on the other side of my head) have had extreme hostility and anxiety. How long does the withdrawal last? Also I have used Skelaxin before- for bursitis and sciatica. If it works for migraines and my insurance company wont cover it how much does it cost?

Archived