Director: Antonia Bird

Mommie Dearest (1981)

Mosquito Coast, The (1986)

Mr. Jones

Sophie's Choice

Tom and Viv (1995)

Woman Under the Influence, A (1974)

Director: John Cassavetes

Sophie's Choice definitely deals with bipolar disorder, but Immortal, Beloved? I think I need to see the film again, because I missed the reference. Good Morning, Vietnam: what? I missed the reference in that movie, too, but its been a long time since I've seen it.

Has anyone else seen these movies? What did you think about the portrayal? Do you have any other movies to add to this list? How about "The Hours"?

Six feet under, which is not a movie has a character that is bipolar and its scary to watch because i see so much of myself in the character.  unfortunatly i have not seen most of those movies, there are little before my time.

about Billy from Six Feet Under --

I hated him in the tattoo cutting days.  But I'm really moved by, and somewhat envious of, his relapse.  It's all so true -- dancing in the kitchen to Toots & the Maytals, buying two cameras, needing to call Morocco in the middle of the night, "my clothes are too heavy," "I need you."

And that's just hypomania...

I have found a place to buy Ski Iraq T-shirts. I'm so tempted.

-- sg

staying on the G*d damn meds

And another thing--

also not a movie, but all of the Robert Lowell stuff I've been reading is also powerful.  It makes me realize just how much worse it could be.

sg

slowly accepting that booze is, in fact, destabilizing

i have not cutt off any of my tattos, but in highschool i did a lot of cutting.  i also would shave my whole body towards the end of a manic cycle, cause you know hair its itchy and heavy...  i thought that whole depication of the cycles was so true.  it was like watching a home movie, you know up up up, agitated, agitated, agitated and then down down down.  then you get some sleep and then it starts all over.

The main character in that recent film Garden State is on a cabinet-full of psychotropic drugs. When he gets a 2nd opinion, the doctor says, "I can't believe on that much lithium you're able to feel anything at all." The whole movie is premised on him becoming med noncompliant (throwing away his lithium) and then falling in love, grieving the loss of his mother, finding himself etc. etc.

If only it were that simple. Great movie though - in its defense the idea is that he was diagnosed in error by his own father. Not that everyone should throw away their meds. In that case Tom Cruise would've starred.

Best,

K

If only it were that simple. Great movie though - in its defense the idea is that he was diagnosed in error by his own father. Not that everyone should throw away their meds. In that case Tom Cruise would've starred.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha...that Tom Cruise reference was hilarous.

on a side note, I love Garden State. I don't think there was ever actually anything wrong with him, but I love how he describes life without meds, after being on them for so long.... I felt like that after I got off Paxil.

Archived