CrazyBoards.org

Anyone else have a head injury?

I had a minor/major fall when I was around 8 wherein I smashed the back of my head into the concrete from a fall.  No loss of cons. but nicely swollen mellon size to my head.  Back then people just called their doctor for these sorts of things - didn't go to the ER unless skull was cracked open and brains exposed (ha).  I always wondered if this didn't contribute to some of my depression/anxiety, add, personality issues, etc.  Wouldn't it mess with chemical/neuro balances up there?  Not that a diagnosis would "fix" anything, I just have always been very curious if this wasen't the major cause of it all.  Thanks.

The cognitive consequences of TBI are similarly broad. All of these consequences can occur singly or in combinations and are variable in terms of their effects on individuals; furthermore, they change in severity and presentation over time. In combination, they produce a myriad of functional problems. Some of the most persistent problems include memory impairment and difficulties in attention and concentration. Deficits in language use and visual perception are common, but often unrecognized. Frontal lobe functions, such as the executive skills of problem-solving, abstract reasoning, insight, judgment, planning, information processing, and organization, are vulnerable to TBI.

Common behavioral deficits include decreased ability to initiate responses, verbal and physical aggression, agitation, learning difficulties, shallow self-awareness, altered sexual functioning, impulsivity, and social disinhibition. Mood disorders, personality changes, altered emotional control, depression, and anxiety are also prevalent after TBI.

http://consensus.nih.gov/cons/109/109_statement.htm

Looks like there could be a corrolation according to the NIH.

I've had three.  The first when I was three years old, with loss of consciousness, the second at age 17, also with loss of consciousness and the third at age 20, with no loss of consciousness.  Each has been followed by a change for the worse in my functioning more or less (my parents clued me in to the first one which I barely remember and told me that's when I lost alot of my ability to socialize with other children.  Apparently I was on track before that).

From what I can tell, TBI is supposed to be a major contributing factor to MI as are certain viruses (in particular strept throat).  Which, although it sucks for us, is good because it emphasizes once again that MI is a DISEASE, not something we made up for the attention

(Sorry about the last rant/sentence, the "something we made up for the attention" bit is one of my pet peeves.  I really can think of thousands of ways we could get attention without having a MI that would be a lot less painful.)

Oh my gosh, thanks for your reply. You sound so much like me.  I also think I lost my inability to relate to other kids.  Kinda went into a hole.  I didn't loose consc. - well I don't think I did, I could have out on the cement.  I always wondered if it contributed to my MI in some way.  My family is a little screwed up to a certain degree, but they all manage.  I'm the one who get's "stuck".  I'm the one who things were "harder" for, the one who was saddest, the one who had fewest friends and harder time making them, etc. etc.  The strep throat thing, is that in correlation to the brain injury?  If so, count me in also.  Every time I turned around I had one.  Finally at 38 I told the doctor to yank them out.  Best thing I ever did.  Oh, and believe me, the whole MI thing, it is like we've made it all up in our heads, like when are we gonna snap out of it, "things aren't so bad".  It is a whole different world on our side isen't it.  Thanks again.  P.S.  what meds, if any are you takin?

From the day I said I was seeking assessment for a mental illnes, my mother has been lamenting her choices in childbirth.  Apparently a whole bunch of crap happened to coincide for my birth, and the personnel fully expected irreparable brain damage from the trauma.  Contrary to most expectations, I'm mostly fine.  Highly intelligent.  Fully mobile.  Well-rounded interests.  The BP, lack of social reciprocity, cinematic clumsiness, and assorted other unofficial mental cooties (either subsyndromal or awaiting a thorough assessment) tend to be overlooked.  In all honesty, it seems I got off lucky.

I got knocked out with a sofitball when i was 12. Contrary to the name those bals are not soft.

Car wreck when I was 21.  A messed up seatbelt didn't work first few flips and tumbles so my head spiderwebbed the windsheild.  That left me with a permnent lump over my right eye on my forehead.  You cant see it but if i guid your hand across it you can feel it.  It blacked both my eyes really bad for about a month too.

Ive been going downhill every since.

Hello,

I was just talking to my therapist about this. I've always had learning problems in school. When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I lost control of my bike going down a hill and went head first into a brick wall. I picked myself up and went home for dinner and didn't remember the day or how i got home. My mom took me to the hospital and they told me i had a concussion. gee thanks.

I've started to think about that incident and if it had anything to do with my learning problems. oh well. Matt.

I've been bopped a few times, but I don't know if I've ever passed out completely except maybe once for a couple of seconds (any longer and I would have been lying in the dirt instead of sitting on the stairs) Not sure if any one of these had a big effect, but there were a number of them. If there's something around that's just lower than the top of my head I tend not to notice until I run into it. At one job I had there was a very large steel or iron pipe like this. Anyway, I just don't know. I don't tend to keep very good track of these things.

Kris (and everyone),

I absolutely think (in my very unprofessional opinion) that your "downhill slide" in terms of social ability/MI probably was related to the head trauma.  My parents both work in health care (which gives me no authority whatsoever) and have found research stating that even minor head trauma can have rather extreme consequences.  If I can find their sources I'll post them here later.

Also, strept can be very, very nasty to certain vulnerable individuals.  It's most frequently related to sudden-onset childhood OCD, Tourette's/Tic disorders, but other anxiety disorders crop up sometimes as well.  The syndrome is called "Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcal Infection" or PANDAS.

Here's two sites that give an overview of the disorder:

http://rarediseases.about.com/od/infectiou...es/a/050501.htm

http://www.worrywisekids.org/anxiety/pandas.html

They're not comprehensive, but they do have some information.  And although OCD and Tourette's seem to be the primary disorders linked to Strep, there is always new research on the horizon.

I had a minor/major fall when I was around 8 wherein I smashed the back of my head into the concrete from a fall.  No loss of cons. but nicely swollen mellon size to my head.  Back then people just called their doctor for these sorts of things - didn't go to the ER unless skull was cracked open and brains exposed (ha).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, my Mom swears my cousin pushed me headfirst into my grandmother's TV. I must have been

4 or 5 at the time. The inch-long scar is still visible, so while no brains were leaking out and no LOC that

I remember the injury was probably still fairly technicolor. I remember blood dripping onto the floor,

the car... maybe I did blackout in the hospital as I've never remember anything past the car ride.

Just about every other head injury I'm thinking off falls into the ADHD "Have you ever ..." thread.  B)

Can't speak to the strep throat issue. I've have it so many times that I'm allergic to some strains of

strep and staph, penicillin, and last time I had tonsillitis it was erythromycin-resistant.  I also had an

ear infection as a kid that required enough tetracycline to chip 8 permanent teeth. No GAD though.

Archived