CrazyBoards.org

So... I have these periods of time... where I don't remember anything whatsoever.... ocassionally something will seem familiar, but honestly, I couldn't tell you where or when I was there.... or if I even was there.... or here.... People say I do things uncharacteristic of "me"... like swear a lot... or act like a child.... or just... don't seem like myself... and some of the stuff they say shocks me. I... don't know. I'm just wondering, yes I know you aren't doctors, but is this normal of just plain dissociating? or is this something a little more complex?

dissociation itself is simply "leaving" for a while. what happens from there, i guess, determines what kind of dissociation.

i know several people who dissociate and act younger, or swear more, and it isn't anything like being multiple... it's more like one part of their brain checks out and they lose their filters on behavior, but they don't remember it directly. it's almost like someone drinking heavily, blacking out, and doing things with no inhibitions.

my sister does that, actually. i think that would be dissociative NOS?

anyway, it's impossible to say anything for certain, especially not knowing you in person. but it might be something to talk to your tdoc about if you have a decent one.

see if your friends can give you more details. my first month or so of therapy was mostly me sitting there with a friend who told the tdoc about me because i was never "here" to know anything that the tdoc was asking :) so sometimes your friends have more info about you than you do ;)

abi

well this is like the most unhelpful answer but, maybe yes maybe no?

we've had days like that. we've had days where nothing like that happens. our "official" diagnosis is DDNOS (because we don't lose enough time on most days), but we identify as multiple since the rest of the shoe pretty much fits. which means nothing because with multiples, every shoe is different (/tangent)

i can kind of see where someone could go on autopilot for a little while if dissociating, and do some stuff maybe in a dream-like state where you would be more "you" than you would in your waking life (no "nice lady" social filtering, if that makes sense), rather than another complete person taking over. either way not remembering what "you" do is a pita.

if it's really frequent and troubling you i'd definitely talk to a tdoc or somebody who can test you.

- rita/?

Archived