CrazyBoards.org

New psychiatrist today

I had my appointment with my new psychiatrist today. I like him. He seems nice and very up on the whole bipolar thing. He agreed with increasing my Topamax from 100 mg a day to 200 mg (my idea). He wants to see me back in four weeks and see how I'm doing at that time and talk about adding another mood stabilizer if needed, specifically Lamictal, although he seemed open to discussing others. He seemed very interested in my ideas on medications and said repeatedly that "the best medication is one that the patient will take", so he wants me to have a lot of input on which medications I feel I will do best on. So far, so good!

i'm happy you like your new pdoc! i'm happy he has that philosophy towards medicine, and also that he treats you like an adult. there is nothing worse than doctors who think they're better than their patients. i just hate that.

good luck too with the topa. it made me dumber than a pile of rocks, manic, and i couldn't come within 1000 feet of alcohol (helpful and annoying at the same time), but for some people it is magic.

if you need another mood stabilizer, lamictal has been a godsend for me. i'm using lamictal and abilify right now as mood stabilizers, and while each on its own works great, the lamictal in particular is the best. many people find that it controls depression better than mania, but i think that for me, it controls both equally. if you need more help in the control department, try it out!

I am so glad that you have a good pdoc. My pdoc is great. I meant to see him today but had an IBS attack and had to reschedule. But yeah he is really fab and I admire him a lot for th way he treats me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived