CrazyBoards.org

When to go to the hospital...

I've already posted this on the anxiety board because I feel my problem is more anxiety but thought that I might be better off to post it here:

This is probably the world's stupidest question but I am going out of my mind here.  I've got terrible anxiety, and I wouldn't say that I'm depressed, but I've been having these raging panic/crying attacks that last for hours, and more than a few times I've thought about killing myself.  I haven't done anything but I've thoughnt about it.  My dad says that I need to go to the hospital and potentially be committed, but I don't want to be in the hospital and I don't see what they'll do for me. It's terrible i can't eat, sleep or stop crying. 

Alot of this has to do with my work ... I've been off on a temp-leave for about 3 weeks because my doc felt that the anxiety had gotten to the point where I couldn't function at work, plus am going through effexor withdrawal so that makes it worse. I just got a call from this horrible woman who runs the private disability insurance saying she has denied my claim and that she has informed my employer than none of my absences are medically justified.  I don't know how they can do that when my doctor says I'm not mentally stable to work!  Right after, I get a call from employer saying I may have to pay back the 3 weeks of pay they gave me...and I don't have that kind of money.

So now I'm really feeling at the end of my rope, hoping somewhere here will be able to help

Well, having the thoughts is not enough to get involuntarily committed.  You have to have a plan to harm self or others and intent on acting upon such a plan.

Still, it sounds like your condition is serious, so you might want to consider voluntary hospitalization.

Not all psych wards are created equally.  Some are better than others.  Some accept only voluntary patients.  The good thing about the psych ward is that the environment is stable---no demands such as chores or duties are made upon you---and perhaps the psychiatrist would be able to adjust your meds to minimize your discomfort.

Of course, your dad send that hospitalization was necessary.  Do you have insurance?  Does the insurance cover psychiatric situations and ambulance transportation (if needed) to the nearest available psych ward?  Who will PAY for the E.R. visit and hospitalization?

Maybe you could look at it this way: It will be harder for your employer to dispute the severity of your MI if you are hospitalized.  Not that you should have yourself committed for that reason, but it might potentially bolster your case. 

I agree with Bryan that your condition does sound like it merits professional attention.  I've had nervous break-downs and refused to get help at the time...it wasn't pretty.  My mental and physical health deteriorated as a result.  To put in a different light, you wouldn't ignore heart attack symptoms.  What you're experiencing is along the same lines, only the symptoms are psychological.  Emotional pain instead of physical pain.

If you can't afford a hospital, you can look here for one that offers reduced/no-cost care: http://www.hrsa.gov/osp/dfcr/obtain/hbstates.htm

Or try a Catholic hospital. 

Take good care of yourself and do whatever you need to, Ok?  My thoughts are with you.

Thanks for your replies. I'm actually in Canada so there would be no charge for hospitlization/psychiatric care, it's all covered by the federal health system.  I'm just not sure if I'm "bad enough"  I can cheer myself up ocassionally, my BF wants me to try and get my mind off it right now and go out for ice cream or something...but then at night it gets bad and then during the day when I'm alone it can get even worse ;)

Green Gal, what do you think about going to the hospital?

Don't think about it in terms of being "bad enough" and don't think about it in terms of what your dad or BF suggests. What do you think? Do you need that stable environment? Do you need someone to make certain that you do not harm yourself?

I'm guessing that Canada is similar to the United States in that the woman's answer from the private disability insurance is probably not the final answer. I'll bet there is an appeal process you can go through. But before you can think about that you need to be in a state of mind where you can respond to this situation rationally.

Again, do you feel that you need to go to the hospital?

i agree with ella - hospitalisation is the best way to prove mi. to the insurance people, to your family, to your bf, to your work. being voluntarily admitted is a very powerful tool - it shows that you believe there is a problem and you are being proactive in trying to prevent the problem from getting worse.

hospital isn't that bad. it gives you some time to think without the stresses of everyday life. being able to cheer yourself up doesn't rule out a major depressive episode. and if you're afraid you'll do something dumb, if you can't guarantee your own safety, then hospital is the best place to be.

plus, you get to hang around in trackie dacks all day, and get prn medication whenever you need it.

GreenGal, others have addressed the concerns about going into the hospital, so I would like to add a comment about the disability insurance. I realize that things may be different in your location, But...Mack is probably right about her not being the final answer.

My experience was almost the same with the private insurer, and I did appeal. I also got my doc on board and between those two actions, I won the appeal. It was hard to focus in order for me to do this, but I knew I was in no shape to return to work. And the doc knew it, too.

Hopefully yours will help you!

First and most important, though, is you getting the help you need asap.

My own experience in being in the hospital was the feeling of safety. And I needed the structure found there and the support of the staff. I'm not saying that it was easy--but it was necessary for me. It was a very hard step to take, but I had to take care of me.

You are in my thoughts, GreenGal.

Spike

Archived