CrazyBoards.org

How much Klonopin can you safely take if you drink 1 to 1-1/2 bottles of wine each night and take 200 mgs of topamax without accidently od'ing? I am now taking 3 mg's of klonopin, 200 mg topa and 1-1/2 bottles each night. every night. Any thoughts? Is this harmless?

during the day I take 300 lamictil 300 welbutrin xl and 30 abilify

With that amount of wine, I don't think ANY amount of benzos could be considered "safe". Mixing benzos and booze is BAD. Like, potential alcohol poisoning bad. I think, also, that wellbutrin and alochol don't play nice...

Anyways, I'd try to cut the alcohol, if only cuz that much on a regualar basis is just no good.

I know I mixed vodka with klonopin one night and thought my dh was attempting to kill me with a vacuum, called my best friend who lives 50 miles away to rescue me, had him take me to my parents house (of which I haven't lived in 16 years) and smashed a window there, lost my makeup bag (which I found a year later in my halloween decorations), and ended up in the ER the next night to be admitted to a crisis center. I only half remember the whole ordeal and it comes in flashes (none of which are pleasant.) At least for me, the mixing was the beginning of the end and finally caused me to be a complete lunatic.

me too, me too, me too, etc. w/the alcohol.

Although I no longer drink (at least more than 1-2 drinks on the weekends socially), I would personally especially advice AGAINST alconol+WB. WB is known to lower the seizure threshold, as is alcohol. There are profound warnings about this on the WB PI sheet.

Adding it all up, you've got an increased risk of respiratory slowing AND epileptic seizure (whether or not you've been diagnosed with epilepsy).

Well, that's just my take on it. Use your own common sense and judgement when drinking.

• 1 month later...

With that amount of alcohol alone you're seriously damaging your liver, let alone putting meds into the mix. I would find a way to quit the alcohol if you want to avoid liver disease.

I can't imagine that amount of alcohol adding up to any kind of serious liver problems...course I dunno the proof of the wine...and I'm assuming the bottles are fifths at ~26 ounces so....39 ounces...even if its 20 percent alcohol which is about as high as wine goes...well that does equal about a 12 pack of 5 percent beer if that quick mental calc I did was right. I can't imagine 3 mg of klonopin on a 12 pack doin anything more than making you more prone to a blackout. I dunno, I have a bit of alcohol tolerance and next to zero for klonopin or other benzos as I've never abused benzos on a regular basis...And if you've been taking the klonopin already you should have a bit of tolerance for it and I don't think mixing alcohol could do any harm nope. One night while severely pissed off drunk I decided to throw 16 mg of klonopin down the hatch and I was just in a blacked out stupor for ~36 hours. And then again you might wanna steer clear of advice from people who treat their bodies like a septic system.

I'm not going to preach to you. I've consumed my share of drugs and alcohol in my time (both separately and together). I don't happen to drink anymore (not because I'm against it, I had Hep C and it is a very bad idea for me).

I would have to ask, though, do you really feel well consuming that amount wine every day along with the meds you take? I find I have to work hard to feel good. With or without meds. Back when I was allowed to drink (or before I knew about the hepatitits) I would notice the effects of alcohol consumption. It usually made me feel sick the next day. Or at least tired. Even just a couple of glasses of wine.

Not to mention that alcohol is a depressant.

Just a thought from someone who's been there.

Be well.

A woman is supposed to have three units of alcohol a day, which is about three glasses of wine. A bottle/a bottle and a half is about twice that. It is way over what your liver can handle. It's not safe by any means to drink that amount, never mind mix it with pyschiatric drugs.

remember that you're a woman, and especially the alcohol is harder on your body than it is on a man's. the men answering naturally metabolize alcohol better and at a faster rate.

i'd listen to scatty. sure, it probably won't kill you, but you could end up seriously messed up. that amount of alcohol, especially in a woman's system, combined with all the meds you take and not just the klonopin, is asking for trouble.

All I can contribute is the fact that 4mg of Klonopin (the dose I needed to sleep the entire night) depressed my respiratory system so much that I'd walk around "drunkedly" the first 30 minutes each morning. No need for alcohol there.

And as far as other respiratory depressants (remember that benzos are strong respiratory depressants), such as alcohol, I feel are totally out of the question (perhaps beyond one drink a day). I abstain completely if I'm on any benzo, and that's my official advice to anybody on a benzo.

Before I had that policy, though, I was an alcohol abuser (5-8 drinks a night) and was at one period simultaneously on 0.5mg Klonopin for sleep. Although that didn't result in negative consequences FOR ME, someone with slower and/or more sensitive liver/kidneys could easily be killed by just one night of that.

So Just Say No to benzos+alcohol, k?

I response to...that one about her being a woman. Yah I never thought much about the difference of metabolisms in men and women. Hmmm...might be right....but in all my cases of being prescribed benzos including klonopin and valium, the doctors never gave me enough to be helpful at all unless I drank on it. Just my opinion. Then maybe again my own problem is I'm a drunk bastard. Not that it's a real problem. Hasn't caused much undue health problems as of yet ... I still have another good 20 years of over self medicating I spose before my body is a complete wreck and wishes it would've been weak and died several years ago. Lalala. This song sucks. OK THIS ONE ROCKS!!! Wasted youth and mad as hell....did that help? I hope so. All I have is stupid opinions I swear. I'm not sure if I even gave an opinion. Hmmm....damnit. I wish I hadn't found this place. I'm afraid I'm being counterproductive but I really hope that what insight I have helps someone. And if my excuse for advice is just useless please tell me. But damn...I dunno...I consider myself quite damned happy most of the time. So I figure whatever I do to achieve the end works pretty damned good. And then that makes me think I'm a doctor or someshit like when I tried to fix my dad's shoulder and he spent around 2 days in a blackout...hmmm...didn't take into account for his low tolerance...soem doctor I'd be!

I dunno the proof of the wine...

i hate to be blunt, but I think i have to now. I've been biting my tongue for ages. we also don't know if 1 and one half bottles is really all she drinks each day. Since she's an admitted alcoholic, I think that amount is not the truth. Trust me. I used to be married to an alcoholic who lied every time her lips moved. And she drank a 12 pack evry night after work. If she had drunk wine, she would have had probably 4-5 bottles until she passed out.

Archived